Including trace gas fluxes in estimates of the carbon mitigation potential of UK agricultural land
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
Soil Use and Management
Volume 16, Issue 4, pages 251–259, December 2000
How to Cite
Smith, P., Goulding, K.W.T., Smith, K.A., Powlson, D.S., Smith, J.U., Falloon, P. and Coleman, K. (2000), Including trace gas fluxes in estimates of the carbon mitigation potential of UK agricultural land. Soil Use and Management, 16: 251–259. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2000.tb00204.x
- Issue published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2006
- Submitted June 2000, accepted after revision August 2000
- 1991. Nitrous oxide production and denitrification in Scottish arable soils. Journal of Soil Science 42, 351–367. , , ,
- 1999. Field N2O, CO2 and CH4 fluxes in relation to tillage, compaction and soil quality in Scotland. Soil and Tillage Research 53, 29–39. , ,
- 1996. Direct emission of nitrous oxide from agricultural soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 46, 53–70.
- 2000. An inventory of nitrous oxide emissions from agriculture in the UK using the IPCC methodology: emission estimate, uncertainty and sensitivity analysis. Atmospheric Environment (submitted). , , , , , ,
- 1997. Fluxes of NO and N2O from temperate forest soils: impact of forest type, N deposition and of liming on the NO and N2O emissions. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 48, 79–90. , , ,
- 2000. Nitrous oxide and methane emissions following application of animal manures to grassland. Journal of Environmental Quality 29, 277–287. , ,
- 1997. Nitrous oxide emissions from fertilized grassland: A 2-year study of the effects of N fertiliser form and environmental conditions. Biology and Fertility of Soils 25, 252–260. , , , ,
- 1998. Methane from animals and animal wastes. In: Biogenic emissions of greenhouse gases caused by arable and animal agriculture - measurement technologies and emission factors, eds AFriebauer & MKaltschmitt, IER, Universität Stuttgart, Stuttgart , pp 86–93. ,
- DETR 1998. UK Climate Change Programme - Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions Consultation Paper. Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, HMSO, London .
- 1999. Nitrous oxide emissions from intensive agricultural systems: Variations between crops and seasons, key driving variables, and mean emission factors. Journal of Geophysical Research - Atmosphere 104, 26891–26899. , ,
- 2000. A comparison of N and P inputs to the soil from fertilizers and manures summarized at farm and catchment scale. Journal of Agricultural Science 134, 147–158. , ,
- 1998. Nitrogen deposition and its contribution to nitrogen cycling and associated soil processes. New Phytologist 139, 49–58. , , , , , , ,
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) 1996. The Revised 1996 Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories. Volumes 1, 2 and 3. IPCC, Geneva .
- 1995. Patterns of methane emission from excreta of grazing animals. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 27, 1581–1588. , ,
- 1998. Nitrous oxide release from arable soil: importance of N-fertilization, crops and temporal variation. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 30, 1553–1563. , , , , ,
- 1998. N2O from animal waste. In: Biogenic emissions of greenhouse gases caused by arable and animal agriculture - measurement technologies and emission factors, eds AFriebauer & MKaltschmitt, IER, Universität Stuttgart, Stuttgart , pp 119–128.
- 1997. Effects of season, soil type and cropping on recoveries, residues and losses of 15N-labelled fertilizer applied to arable crops in spring. Journal of Agricultural Science 129, 125–154. , , ,
- 1998. Nitrous oxide emission in three years as affected by tillage, corn-soybean-alfalfa rotations, and nitrogen fertilization. Journal of Environmental Quality 27, 698–703. , ,
- 1994. Estimated annual losses of N2O-N from fertilized agricultural land in the UK and the European Union. In: Emission and Sorption of the Greenhouse Gas Nitrous Oxide by Agricultural Soils and Natural Wetlands. Appendix 11. Final Report on Contract STEP-CT90 0028, EU, Brussels . ,
- MAFF 1983. Pigs: the outdoor breeding herd. Booklet 2431. HMSO, London , 24 pp.
- 1998. Closing the global N2O budget: nitrous oxide emissions through the agricultural nitrogen cycle: OECD/IPCC/IEA phase II development of IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventory methodology. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 52, 225–248. , , , , ,
- 1999. Resolving issues on terrestrial biospheric sinks in the Kyoto Protocol. Dutch National Programme on Global Air Pollution and Climate Change. Report no. 410 200 030 (1999), 100 pp. , , , , , , ,
- 1985. The effect of straw incorporation on the uptake of nitrogen by winter wheat. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 36, 26–30. , , ,
- 1995. Effects of incorporating or burning straw, and of different cultivation systems, on winter wheat grown on two soil types, 1985-91. Journal of Agricultural Science 124, 173–194. , , , , , , ,
- 1993. The role of methylotrophy in the global methane budget. In: Microbial growth on C1 compounds, eds JCMurrell & DPKelly, Intercept Press, Andover , pp 1–14. , ,
- 1993. Biomass management and energy. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution 70, 139–159. , , , , , ,
- 1999. Carbon sequestration in soils. Science 284, 2095.
- 1998. Nitrous oxide emissions from grassland amended with sewage sludge. Soil Use and Management 14, 55. , , ,
- 1998a. Soil nitrous oxide and nitric oxide emissions as indicators of the exceedance of critical loads of atmospheric N deposition in seminatural ecosystems. Environmental Pollution 102, 457–461. , , , , , , ,
- 1998b. Some key environmental variables controlling nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural and semi-natural soils in Scotland. Atmospheric Environment 32, 3311–3320. , , ,
- 1997. Emissions of N2O and NO associated with nitrogen fertilization in intensive agriculture, and the potential for mitigation. Soil Use and Management 13, 296–304. , ,
- 1998. Emissions of N2O from Scottish agricultural soils, as a function of fertilizer N. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 52, 123–130. , , ,
- 1997a. Potential for carbon sequestration in European soils: preliminary estimates for five scenarios using results from long-term experiments. Global Change Biology 3, 67–79. , , ,
- 1997b. Opportunities and limitations for C sequestration in European agricultural soils through changes in management. In: Management of carbon sequestration in soil, eds RLal, JMKimble, RFFollett & BAStewart, Advances in Soil Science, CRC Press, Boca Raton , Florida , pp. 143–152. , , ,
- 1998. Preliminary estimates of the potential for carbon mitigation in European soils through no-till farming. Global Change Biology 4, 679–685. , , ,
- 2000. Considering manure and carbon sequestration. Science 287, 428–429. ,
- 2000. Transport carbon costs do not negate the benefits of agricultural carbon mitigation options. Ecology Letters 3 (in press). ,
- 2000 a. Meeting Europe's climate change commitments: quantitative estimates of the potential for carbon mitigation by agriculture. Global Change Biology 6, 525–539. , , , ,
- 2000 b. Meeting the UK's climate change commitments: options for carbon mitigation on agricultural land. Soil Use and Management 16, 1–11. , , , ,
- 2000 c. Revised estimates of the carbon mitigation potential of UK agricultural land. Soil Use and Management 16, 293–295. , , , , ,
- 2000 d. Enhancing the carbon sink in European agricultural soils: including trace gas fluxes in estimates of carbon mitigation potential. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems (in press). , , , , , ,
- 1984. Anaerobic processes in soil. Plant and Soil 76, 197–212. , , , ,
- 1998. Forest soils - source or sink for atmospheric trace gases. In: Biogenic emissions of greenhouse gases caused by arable and animal agriculture - measurement technologies and emission factors, eds AFriebauer & MKaltschmitt, IER, Universität Stuttgart, Stuttgart , pp 94–104.