Present address: Met Office – Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research, Fitzroy Road, Exeter, Devon EX1 3PB, UK. Tel.: +44 1392 886336; fax: +44 1392 885681.
RothCUK – a dynamic modelling system for estimating changes in soil C from mineral soils at 1-km resolution in the UK
Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2006
Soil Use and Management
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 274–288, September 2006
How to Cite
Falloon, P., Smith, P., Bradley, R. I., Milne, R., Tomlinson, R., Viner, D., Livermore, M. and Brown, T. (2006), RothCUK – a dynamic modelling system for estimating changes in soil C from mineral soils at 1-km resolution in the UK. Soil Use and Management, 22: 274–288. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2006.00028.x
- Issue online: 24 MAY 2006
- Version of Record online: 24 MAY 2006
- Received November 2005; accepted after revision February 2006
- 2000. Size and rate of change of carbon density due to changes in agricultural activity. In: Carbon sequestration in vegetation and soils. Annual report for DETR Contract EPG1/1/39 (ed. R.Milne). CEH Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK. , , &
- 2004. Greenhouse gas inventories for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland: 1990–2002. AEAT/ENV/R/176101/10/2004 National Environmental Technology Centre, AEA Technology, Didcot, UK. , , , , &
- 1993. Countryside survey 1990, main report. Department of the Environment, London. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1993. A 1961–90 baseline climatology and future climate change scenarios for Great Britain and Europe. Part I. 1961–90 Great Britain baseline climatology. 43 pp. (plus maps). Climatic Research Unit, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. , &
- 1997. Carbon loss from drained lowland fens. In: Carbon sequestration in vegetation and soils (ed M. Cannell) – report to Department of the Environment DoE contract with NERC EPG1/1/3. Department of Environment, London.
- 2003. UK soil database for modelling soil carbon fluxes and land use for the national carbon dioxide inventory. Research Report to Defra by NSRI, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire, UK. Available at: http://www2.defra.gov.uk/research/project_data/More.asp?I=SP0511&M=KWS&V=sp0511&SCOPE=0 accessed 10/12/2004. , , , &
- 2002. Mapping of land use classes within the CORINE land cover map of Great Britain. The Cartographic Journal, 39, 5–14. , &
- 1999. National Inventories of terrestrial carbon sources and sinks: the UK experience. Climatic Change, 42, 505–530. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Review of the contribution to climate change of organic soils under different land uses. Scottish Executive Central Research Unit, Edinburgh, UK. , , , &
- 1984. Criteria for differentiating soil series. Technical Monograph No. 17, Soil Survey of England and Wales, Harpenden. National Soil Resources Institute, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire, UK. &
- 1996. RothC-26.3 – a model for the turnover of carbon in soil. In: Evaluation of soil organic matter models using existing, long-term datasets (eds D.S.Powlson, P.Smith & J.U.Smith), NATO ASI Series I, Vol. 38. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, pp. 237–246. &
- 1997. Simulating trends in soil organic carbon in long-term experiments using RothC-26.3. Geoderma, 81, 29–44. , , , , , , &
- 2002. Habitat change in the Northern Ireland countryside: technical report of the Northern Ireland Countryside Survey 2000. Environment and Heritage Service, Belfast, UK. &
- 1997. Soil and environment: Northern Ireland. Agricultural and Environmental Science Division, DANI and The Agricultural and Environmental Science Department, the Queen's University of Belfast. Agricultural and Environmental Science Division, Department of Agriculture and Rural Development, Belfast, UK.
- 1998. Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Northern Ireland. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 98B, 9–21. , , &
- 2001. Large scale spatial modelling of soil organic matter dynamics. PhD Thesis, School of Life and Environmental Sciences, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- 2000. Modelling refractory soil organic matter. Biology and Fertility of Soils, 30, 388–398. &
- 2002. Simulating SOC dynamics in long-term experiments with RothC and CENTURY: model evaluation for a regional scale application. Soil Use and Management, 18, 101–111. &
- 2003. Accounting for changes in soil carbon under the Kyoto Protocol: need for improved long-term datasets to reduce uncertainty in model projections. Soil Use and Management, 19, 265–269. &
- 1998. Estimating the size of the inert organic matter pool from total soil organic carbon content for use in the Rothamsted carbon model. Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 30, 1207–1211. , , &
- 2000. How important is inert organic matter for predictive soil carbon modelling using the Rothamsted carbon model? Soil Biology and Biochemistry, 32, 433–436. , , &
- 2002. Comparison of approaches for estimating carbon sequestration at the regional scale. Soil Use and Management, 18, 164–174. , , &
- 2004. Modelling soil carbon fluxes and land use change for the National Carbon Dioxide Inventory. Final Research Report to DEFRA Contract CC0242. Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, UK. , , &
- 1995. Modellierung von Bodenprozessen in Agrarlandschaften zur Untersuchung der Auswirkung moglicher Klimaveranderungen. UFZ-Bericht 3/1995. UFZ Leipzig-Halle, Leipzig, Germany. , &
- 1994. The land cover map of Great Britain: an automated classification of landsat thematic mapper data. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 60, 553–562. , &
- 2000. Countryside Survey 2000 Module 7 – Land Cover Map 2000 final report. CEH Monks Wood, Abbots Ripton, Huntingdon, UK. , , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Accounting for nature: assessing habitats in the UK countryside. DETR, London. ISBN 1 85112 460 8. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. Climate change scenarios for the United Kingdom: The UKCIP02 Scientific Report. 120 pp. Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research, School of Environmental Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK. , , , , , , , &
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 1996. The revised 1996 guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories, Vols 1, 2 and 3. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland.
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2000. Emissions scenarios. A special report of working group III of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2002. Sensitivity analysis of the RothC soil carbon model (ver. 26.3 Excel). National Carbon Accounting System Technical Report no 30. Australian Greenhouse Office, CSIRO Land and Water and Mathematical and Information Sciences, Canberra, Australia. Available at: http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/ncas/reports/pubs/tr30final.pdf accessed 26/1/2006. , , &
- 1990. The turnover of organic carbon and nitrogen in soil. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 329, 361–368.
- 1999. Estimating net primary production from measurements made on soil organic matter. Ecology, 80, 2762–2773. , , , , , , &
- 2004. Global climate change and soil carbon stocks; predictions from two contrasting models for the turnover of organic carbon in soil. Global Change Biology, 10, 1–13, doi: 10.1111/j.1365–2486.2004.00885.x. , , , , , &
- 1997. Carbon in the vegetation and soils of Great Britain. Journal of Environmental Management, 49, 413–433. &
- 2003. Land use change and forestry: The 2001 UK Greenhouse Gas Inventory and projections to 2020. Section 2. In: UK emissions by sources and removals by sinks due to land use, land use change and forestry activities, Report, April 2003 (ed. R.Milne). CEH Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK. , &
- MLC. 1986. Monitoring landscape change. Vols 1, 1A & 10. Report prepared by Hunting Surveys & Consultants Ltd for Department of the Environment and the Countryside Commission, Crescent Place, Cheltenham, UK.
- 2002. A high-resolution data set of surface climate over global land areas. Climate Research, 21, 1–25. , , &
- 2003. Uncertainty in estimating land use and management impacts on soil organic carbon storage for US agroecosystems between 1982 and 1997. Global Change Biology, 9, 1521–1542. , , &
- 1997. Land use change and forestry: emissions and uptake of CO2 from soils. In: Revised 1996 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Chapter 5. (eds J.T.Houghton, L.G.Meira Filho, B.Lim, K.Treanton, I.Mamaty, Y.Bonduki, D.J.Griggs & B.A.Callender) WMO, Bracknell, UK. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1948. Natural evaporation from open water, bare soil and grass. Proceedings of the Royal Society A, 193, 120–145.
- 2003. Accumulation of carbon and nitrogen by old arable land reverting to woodland. Global Change Biology, 9, 942–955. , , &
- 2000. Modelling soil organic matter changes after planting fast growing Pinus radiata D. Don on Mediterranean agricultural soils. European Journal of Soil Science, 51, 627–641. , , , &
- 1996. Quantitative methods to evaluate and compare soil organic matter (SOM) models. In: Evaluation of soil organic matter models using existing long-term datasets (eds D.S.Powlson, P.Smith & J.U.Smith), NATO ASI Series I, Vol. 38. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 183–202. , &
- 1999. Modelling soil carbon dynamics in tropical ecosystems. In: Global climate change and tropical soils (eds R.Lal, J.M.Kimble, R.F.Follett & B.A.Stewart), Advances in Soil Science. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 341–364. , , , , , , , , , &
- Soil Survey of Scotland Staff. 1981. Soil survey of Scotland – 7 sheets at 1:250,000 scale. Macaulay Institute for Soil Research, Aberdeen, UK.
- Soil Survey Staff. 1983. Soils of England and Wales – national soil map 6 sheets at 1:250,000 scale, Harpenden. National Soil Resources Institute, Cranfield University, Bedfordshire, UK.
- 2004. Uncertainty analysis of soil organic carbon stock change in Canadian cropland from 1991 to 2001. Global Change Biology, 10, 983–994. , , &
- 2005. Modelling the evolution of regional carbon stocks in Belgian cropland soils. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 85, 511–521. , , &