Effect of rock fragment cover on interrill soil erosion from bare soils in Western Andalusia, Spain
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Soil Use and Management
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 108–117, March 2008
How to Cite
Martínez-Zavala, L. and Jordán, A. (2008), Effect of rock fragment cover on interrill soil erosion from bare soils in Western Andalusia, Spain. Soil Use and Management, 24: 108–117. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-2743.2007.00139.x
- Issue published online: 7 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2008
- Received July 2007; accepted after revision November 2007
- 1991. Relation between infiltration and stone cover on a semiarid hillslope, southern Arizona. Journal of Hydrology, 122, 49–59. &
- 1994. Hydraulics of interrill overland flow on stone-covered desert surfaces. Catena, 23, 111–140. &
- 1994. Effect of water salinity on inter-rill erosion and infiltration: laboratory study. Australian Journal of Soil Research, 32, 595–601. , &
- 2004. Rainfall-induced soil surface sealing: a critical review of observations, conceptual models, and solutions. Vadose Zone Journal, 3, 570–591.
- 1995. Concentrated flow erosion in cultivated catchments: influence of soil surface state. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 20, 5–14. , &
- 2001. Levantamiento de información ambiental referida a unidades geomorfoedáficas en el ámbito fronterizo del Guadiana. Department of Christallography, Mineralogy and Agricultural Chemistry, University of Seville, Sevilla. , , &
- 1986. Bulk density. In: Methods of soil analysis: part 1, physical and mineralogical methods (ed. A.Klute), 2nd edn, pp. 364–367. American Society of Agronomy, Madison, WI. &
- 1994. Soil containing rock fragments: effects on infiltration. Catena Supplement, 23, 99–110. &
- 1993. Effects of rock fragment covers on erosion and transport of noncohesive sediment by shallow overland flow. Water Resources Research, 29, 1415–1424. &
- 1989. Aspectos conceptuales y metodológicos en la gestion racional del sistema agrario adehesado. In: Seminario sobre dehesas y sistemas agrosilvopastorales similares (ed. UNESCO), pp. 19–39, Madrid. &
- 1995. Factores y variaciones espacio-temporales de la infiltración en los ecosistemas mediterráneos. Geoforma Ediciones, Logroño.
- 2001. Effects of rock fragment cover on soil infiltration, interrill runoff and erosion. European Journal of Soil Science, 52, 59–68.
- 1998. Soil hydrological response under simulated rainfall in the dehesa land system (Extremadura, SW Spain) under drought conditions. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 23, 195–209. , , &
- 1995. Effects of coarse-fragment content and size on soil erosion under simulated rainfall. Canadian Journal of Soil Science, 75, 227–232. &
- 1968. Conservation of soil water by gravel mulches. Colorado State University Hydrology Paper No 30. Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO. &
- 1995. Rock fragments: II. Their impact on soil physical properties and biomass production under Mediterranean conditions. Soil Use and Management, 11, 121–126. , , &
- 1997. The Spanish dehesa: a diversity in land-use and wildlife. In: Farming and birds in Europe (eds D.J.Pain & M.W.Pienkowski), pp. 117–149. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , &
- 1978. The role of time and aggregate size in the crusting process. Earth Surface Processes, 3, 243–254.
- 1959. Influence of the coarse fraction in two Maine potato soils on infiltration, runoff and erosion. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, 23, 391–396. &
- 1980. Evaporación de agua en suelos de distinta textura. Anuario del Centro de Edafología y Biología Aplicada de Salamanca, 6, 255–280. , &
- 1995. Sedigraph particle size analysis of soil samples from the Griggward study area of the Wagga Wagga project. CSIRO-Division of Soils Technical Report No. 3/1995, Melbourne. &
- 1987. A small rainfall simulator for determination of soil erodibility. Netherlands Journal of Agricultural Soil Science, 35, 407–415.
- 1998. The impact of climate change on geomorphology and desertification along a Mediterranean arid transect. Land Degradation and Development, 9, 407–422. , &
- 1996. Aggregate stability and assessment of soil crustability and erodibility: I. Theory and methodology. European Journal of Soil Science, 47, 425–437.
- 2005. Soil infiltration, runoff and sediment yield from a shallow soil with varied stone cover and intensity of rain. European Journal of Soil Science, 56, 435–443. , , , , , &
- MAPA. 1982. Métodos oficiales de análisis de suelos. Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación, Madrid.
- 2001. Análisis territorial de la comarca del Andévalo Occidental, una aproximación desde el medio físico. PhD Thesis, University of Sevilla, Sevilla.
- 1990. Crust formation effects on soil erosion processes. Soil Science Society of American Journal, 54, 1117–1123. &
- 1995. Rock fragments: I. Their effect on runoff, erosion and soil properties under field conditions. Soil Use and Management, 11, 115–120. , , &
- 2001. Removal of rock fragments and its effect on soil loss and crop yield, Tigray, Ethiopia. Soil Use and Management, 17, 179–187. , , , &
- 1991. Influence des états de surface du territoire agricole sur le déclenchement des inondations catastrophiques. Agronomie, 11, 201–215. &
- 1987. Transport of rock fragments by rill flow: a field study. Catena Supplement, 8, 35–37.
- 1996. The effects of rock fragments on desertification processes in Mediterranean environments. In: Mediterranean desertification and land use (eds C.J.Brandt & J.B.Thornes), pp. 247–269. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. &
- 1992. Runoff and sediment yields from topsoils with different porosity as affected by rock fragment cover and position. Catena, 19, 451–474. &
- 1994. Rock fragments in top soils: significance and processes. Catena, 23, 1–28. &
- 1990. The hydrological response of soil surfaces to rainfall as affected by cover and position of rock fragments in the top layer. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 15, 653–671. , &
- 1994. Effects of rock fragments on soil erosion by water at different spatial scales: a review. Catena, 23, 141–166. , &
- 1998. Variation of rock fragment cover and size along semiarid hillslopes: a case-study from southeast Spain. Geomorphology, 23, 323–335. , , &
- 2005. The role of vegetation patterns in structuring runoff and sediment fluxes in drylands. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 30, 133–147.
- 2002. A ranking methodology for assessing relative erosion risk and its application to dehesas and montados in Spain and Portugal. Land Degradation & Development, 13, 129–140. , , , , , , , &
- 1992. Dynamics of surface sealing, runoff formation and interrill soil loss as related to rainfall intensity, microrelief and slope. Zeit Pflanzenernähr Dung Bodenkunde, 155, 209–216. &
- 1997. Soil erosion and runoff production in a small watershed under silvo-pastoral landuse (dehesas) in Extremadura, Spain. Geoforma Ediciones, Logroño.
- 1998. Importance of surface sealing in the erosion of some soils from a Mediterranean climate. Geomorphology, 24, 19–85. &
- 1996. Evaporation from cultivated soils containing rock fragments. Journal of Hydrology, 182, 65–82. , , , &
- 1996. Infiltration, runoff and erosion characteristics of agricultural land in extreme storm event, SE France. Catena, 26, 27–47.
- WRB. 2006. World reference base for soil resources 2006. World Soil Resources Reports No.103. FAO, Rome.