Children's and Young People's Involvement and Participation in Mental Health Care
Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2007
© 2007 Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 2–8, February 2008
How to Cite
Day, C. (2008), Children's and Young People's Involvement and Participation in Mental Health Care. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 13: 2–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-3588.2007.00462.x
- Issue online: 23 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 23 JUL 2007
- 2003). Listening to children and young people. Bristol: University of the West of England. , , , , , & (
- 1993). Children's consent to surgery. Buckingham: Open University Press. (
- 1996). Health care choices: Making decisions with children. London: Institute of Public Policy Research. , & (
- 2005). Hear by right: Standards for the active involvement of children and young people. London: National Youth Agency/Local Government Association. , & (
- 1997). Personal accounts: Involving disabled children in research. London: The Stationery Office. (
- 2005). User/consumer involvement in mental health service delivery. Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale, 14, 10–14. (
- Children's Act (1998). London: Stationary Office.
- 2001). Listening to young children: The mosaic approach. London: National Children's Bureau. , & (
- 2002). Systematic review of involving patients in the planning and development of health care. British Medical Journal, 325, 1263–1268. , , , , , , & (
- 2004). Are the views of members of mental health user groups representative of those of ‘ordinary’ patients? A cross-sectional survey of service users and providers. Journal of Mental Health, 13, 561–568. , & (
- 1996). Family involvement and empowerment in mental health service provision for children with emotional and behavioural disorders. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 5, 503–517. , & (
- 2006). Children's key concerns: Piloting a qualitative approach to understanding their experience of mental health care. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 11, 139–155. , , & (
- 2005). Informant discrepancies in the assessment of childhood psychopathology: A critical review, theoretical framework, and recommendations for further study. Psychological Bulletin, 131, 483–509. , & (
- Department for Education and Skills (2003). Every child matters. Norwich: TSO.
- Department of Health (2002a). What's new learning from the CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services) innovation projects summary. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2002b). Improvement, expansion and reform: The next three years, priorities and planning framework 2003–06. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2003). Strengthening accountability: Involving patients and the public. Practice guidance. London: Department of Health .
- Department of Health (2004a). Patient and public involvement in health: The evidence for policy implementation. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (2004b). National standards, local action. Health and social care standards and planning framework 2005/6–2007/8. London: Department of Health .
- Department of Health (2004c). National service framework for children, young people and maternity services. London: Department of Health.
- Who is best at predicting children's anxiety in response to a social evaluation task? A comparison of child, parent and teacher reports. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. , & (in press).
- 2001). Reflection on the case studies: Towards a rationale for participation? In J.Clark, A.Dyson, N.Meagher, E.Robson & M.Wootten (Eds.), Young people as researchers: Possibilities, problems and politics. Leicester: Youth Work Press. , & (
- 2005). Patient choice and the organisation and delivery of health services: Scoping review. NCCSDO http://www.sdo.lshtm.ac.uk/pdf/accesstohealthcare_fotaki_finareportunedited.pdf . , , , , , , , & (
- 2004). Consulting with young people about service guidelines relating to parental illness. Australian e-journal for the Advancement of Mental Health, 3. , & (
- 2005). Information giving and decision-making in patients with advanced cancer: A systematic review. Social Science & Medicine, 61, 2252–2264. , & (
- 1998). Patient participation in decision-making. Social Science & Medicine, 47, 329–339. , & (
- 1997). Children's participation: The theory and practice of involving young citizens in community development and environmental care. New York: UNICEF. (
- 2005). Attuned practice: A service user study of specialist child and adolescent mental health, UK. Epidemiologia e Psichiatria Sociale, 14, 22–31. , , & (
- 2003). Child, parent, and therapist (dis)agreement on target problems in outpatient therapy: The therapist's dilemma and its implications. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 71, 62–70. , & (
- Human Right's Act (1998). London: The Stationary Office.
- 2002). Measuring the magic? Evaluating and researching young people's participation in public decision making. London: Carnegie Young People Initiative. , & (
- 2003). Building a culture of participation: Involving children and young people in policy, service planning, delivery and evaluation. London: Department for Education and Skills. , , , & (
- 2001). Health in partnership initiative: Involving children and young people with a chronic illness or disability in local decision about health service development. York: University of York. , & (
- NECF & Katalyst Tales (2005). The evaluator's cookbook. Birmingham: National Evaluation of the Children's Fund.
- 2005). Implementing shared decision-making in diverse health care systems: The role of patient decision aids. Patient Education & Counselling, 57, 247–249. , , & (
- 2004). Mapping children and young people's participation in England. Nottingham: Department for Education and Skills. , & (
- 2004). Decision-making about children's mental health care: Ethical challenges. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment, 10, 301–311. (
- 2004). Meeting the information needs of psychiatric patients: Staff and patient perspectives. Journal of Mental Health, 13, 389–401. , , , & (
- 2003). Social inclusion and recovery: A model for mental health practice. London: Bailliere Tindall. , & (
- 2003). Redesigning mental health services: Lessons on user involvement from the Mental Health Collaborative. Health Expectations, 6, 60–71. , , , , & (
- 2005). Destinations and detours of the users’ movement. Journal of Mental Health, 14, 429–433. , & (
- 2001). Pathways to participation: Openings, opportunities and obligations. A new model for enhancing children's participation in decision-making in line with Article 13.1 of the UNCRC. Children & Society, 15, 107–117. (
- 2004). Participation in practice: Making it meaningful, effective and sustainable. Children & Society, 18, 106–118. (
- 2000). A quality protects research briefing: Young people's participation. London: Department of Health. , & (
- 2003). Involving users in the delivery and evaluation of mental health services: systematic review. British Medical Journal, 325, 1265–1270. , & (
- 2004). A survey of clinical psychologists’ views regarding service user involvement in mental health services. Journal of Mental Health, 13, 583–592. , , & (
- 2001). Reducing parental dissatisfaction with a child and adolescent psychology service: A process of quality improvement. Journal of Mental Health, 10, 63–73. (
- 2005). Putting participation into practice. A guide for practitioners in services to promote the mental health and well-being of children and young people. London: YoungMinds. , & (
- 2005). Minority voices: Research into the access and acceptability of services for the mental health of young people from black and minority ethnic groups. London: YoungMinds. , , , , & (
- 2003). Where next? New directions in in-patient mental health services for young people. London: YoungMinds. , & (
- 2003). Involving users in the development of mental health services: A study of psychiatrists’ views. Journal of Mental Health, 12, 161–174. (
- 1997). Empowering children and young people: Training manual. London: Save the Children and Children's Rights Office. (
- United Nations (1989). Convention on the rights of the child. New York: United Nations.
- 2001). Children and young people special interest group position paper promoting user participation in clinical psychology services for children and young people: How to hear the voice of the child. Leicester: British Psychological Society. , , & (
- 2001). Why are we here at the clinic? Parent-child (dis)agreement on referral problems at outpatient treatment entry. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 69, 1018–1025. , & (