Schools: Central to Providing Comprehensive CAMH Services in the Future?
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2007
© 2007 Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Volume 13, Issue 3, pages 107–114, September 2008
How to Cite
Salmon, G. and Kirby, A. (2008), Schools: Central to Providing Comprehensive CAMH Services in the Future?. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 13: 107–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-3588.2007.00468.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2007
- 1999). Collaborative practice: A nursing perspective of the psychiatric interdisciplinary treatment team. Holistic Nursing Practice, 13, 1–11. , , , & (
- 1993). Organisations working together. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. , & (
- American Psychiatric Association (1987). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, 3rd edition revised (DSM-III-R). Washington DC: APA.
- 1998). Perceived parental burden and service use for child and adolescent psychiatric disorders. American Journal of Public Health, 88, 75–80. , , , , , & (
- 2000). Addressing the population burden of child and adolescent mental health problems: A primary care model. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 5, 9–16. , & (
- Audit Commission (1999). Children in mind - a report on child and adolescent mental health services. London: Audit Commission.
- 1990). The evolution of co-operation. London: Penguin Books. (
- 1990). An examination of the system-wide use of exclusion with disruptive pupils. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Developmental Disabilities, 16, 109–123. , & (
- 1990). The adolescent outcome of hyperactive children diagnosed by research criteria: I. An 8-year prospective follow-up study. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 29, 546–557. , , , & (
- 2001). Mental health services in schools: The challenge of locating a psychotherapy service for troubled adolescent pupils in mainstream and special schools. Journal of Adolescence, 24, 549–570. (
- 1992). What does research say about interagency collaboration. http://www.nrcel.org/sdrs/areas/stw_esys/8agcycol.htm [date accessed 4/10/2004]. , , & (
- 1995). Children's mental health service use across service sectors. Health Affairs, 14, 147–159. , , , , , , & (
- 2002). Service innovations: Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder- development of a multi-professional integrated care pathway. Psychiatric Bulletin, 26, 148–151. (
- 1978). The prevalence of academic underachievement in hyperactive children. Journal of Paediatric Psychology, 3, 163–171. , & (
- 1994). The Vanderbilt school-based counselling program: An interagency, primary-care model of health services. Journal of Emotional and Behavioural Disorders, 2, 247–253. , & (
- 2003). School based early identification and intervention service for adolescents: A psychology and school nurse partnership model. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 8, 34–39. , , & (
- 1993). How can epidemiology improve mental health services for children and adolescents? Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 32, 1106–1113. , , , & (
- 2003). School-based mental health clinics. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Nursing, 16, 60–70. , , , & (
- Department for Education (DfE) (1994). Code of practice on the identification and assessment of Special Education Needs. London: HMSO.
- Department for Education and Skills (DfES) (2001a). Promoting children's mental health within early years and school settings. London: HMSO.
- Department for Education and Skills (DfES) (2001b). Special Educational Needs code of practice. Nottingham: DfES Publications.
- Department for Education and Skills, Department of Health (DfES/DoH) (2002). Autistic Spectrum Disorders good practice guidance. Nottingham: DfES Publications.
- Department for Education and Skills (DfES) (2003). Every child matters. Nottingham: DfES Publications.
- Department for Education and Skills (DfES) (2005). Extended schools: Access to opportunities and services for all: A prospectus. Nottingham: DfES Publications.
- Department of Health (DoH) (1999). National service framework for mental health: Modern standards & service models. London: Department of Health.
- Department of Health (DoH) (1997). NHS planning and priorities guidance 1997/98. London: HMSO.
- Department of Health, Department for Education and Skills (DoH/DfES) (2004). National service framework for children, young people and maternity services, executive summary. London: DoH Publications.
- 1999). The mental health perspective, In C. M.Nelson, R. B.Rutherford, & B. I.Wolford (eds.), Comprehensive and collaborative systems that work for troubled youth: A national agenda. Richmond, KY: National Coalition for Juvenile Justice Services. , & (
- 1991). Attention deficit disorder and specific reading disability: Separate but often overlapping disorders. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 24, 95–103. , & (
- 2000). Inter-professional collaboration and conceptualisations of practice. Children and Society, 14, 355–367. , , & (
- 2003). Pathways into and through mental health services for children and adolescents. Psychiatric Services, 54, 60–66. , , , , & (
- 1996). The psychological treatment of child psychiatric disorders: What works for whom? A critical review of psychotherapy. New York: Guilford. , & (
- 2003). Service use over 18 months among a nationally representative sample of British children with psychiatric disorder. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 8, 37–51. , , & (
- 1992). A new proposed definition and terminology to replace ‘serious emotional disturbance’ in individuals with disabilities education act. School Psychology Review, 21, 12–20. , & (
- 1992). A twin study of the etiology of comorbidity: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and dyslexia. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31, 343–348. , , & (
- 1998). Hyperactivity, inattention and motor control problems: Prevalence, comorbidity and background factors. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedia, 50, 107–117. (
- 1985). Hyperactive boys almost grown up. Archives of General Psychiatry, 42, 937–947. , , , & (
- 2005). Evaluation of behaviour and education support teams. Research report RR706. Nottingham: DfES. , , , , & (
- Health Advisory Service (HAS) (1995). Thematic review. Together we stand. The commissioning, role and management of child and adolescent mental health services. London: HMSO.
- 1993). Children with deficits in attention, motor control and perception (DAMP) almost grown up: Psychiatric and general health at 16 years. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 35, 881–892. , , , & (
- 1994). Mental health programmes in schools. Geneva: Division of Mental Health, World Health Organisation. , , & (
- 2006). Working for inclusion: A CAMHS/education interagency project. Progress in Neurology and Psychiatry, 10, 41–43. , , , (
- House of Commons Health Select Committee (1997). (HC26–1 1997) Report on child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS). London: HMSO.
- 2001). Mission possible - learning through innovation. Young Minds Magazine, 55, http://www.youngminds.org.uk/magazine/55/james.php . (
- 1998). Managed care and school based health centers. Use of health services. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 152, 25–33. , , , & (
- 1997). Getting it all together: Developing a forum for a multi-agency approach to assessing and treating ADHD. Educational and Child Psychology, 14, 82–90. , & (
- 1994). Successful collaboration within an integrative practice model. Clinical Nurse Specialist, 8, 330–333. , , & (
- 2002). What's new: Learning from the CAMHS innovation projects. London: Department of Health Publications. , & (
- 1997). Create comprehensive and collaborative systems. Journal of Emotional and Behavioural Disabilities, 5, 66–75. , & (
- 1980). The prevalence of learning disabilities in a sample of children considered hyperactive. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 8, 33–50. & (
- 1996). Mental health service use in the community and schools: Results from the four-community MECA study. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 35, 889–897. , , , , , , , , & (
- 1982). The stability of antisocial and delinquent child behavior: A review. Psychological Bulletin, 94, 68–99. (
- 1993). Adult outcome of hyperactive boys: Educational achievement, occupational rank, and psychiatric status. Archives of General Psychiatry, 50, 565–576. , , , , & (
- 1998). Communication action for case managers: Techniques to manage conflict. Nursing Case Management, 3, 36–48. , & (
- 1995). A synopsis of research and professional literature on educational placement. In J. M.Kauffman, J. W.Lloyd, D. P.Hallahan, & T. A.Astuto (eds.), Issues in educational placement: Students with emotional and behavioural disorders. Hillsdale, N.J: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. , , , & (
- 1999). Barriers to collaboration: An analysis of systemic barriers to collaboration between teachers and speech and language therapists. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, 34, 431–440. (
- 2000). Mental health of children and adolescents in Great Britain. London: The Stationary Office. , , , & (
- 2000). Collaboration and partnership: An effective response to complexity and fragmentation or solution built on sand? International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy, 20, 1–39. & (
- 1998). Developing an autism assessment service 1: Procedures, priorities and pitfalls over the first five years. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 3, 116–120. , , , , & (
- National Assembly for Wales (2001). Everybody's business: Child and adolescent mental health services strategy document. Cardiff: National Assembly for Wales.
- National Initiative for Autism: Screening and Assessment (NIASA) (2003). National plan for autism (NAPC): Plan for identification, assessment, diagnosis and access to early interventions for pre-school and primary school-aged children with autistic spectrum disorders (ASD). London: The National Autistic Society.
- National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) (2000). Guidance on the use of methylphenidate (Ritalin, Equasym) for attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in childhood. London: NICE.
- 2004). A follow-up of a home and school support project for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties. Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties, 9, 85–98. (
- 2004). A home and school support project for children excluded from primary and first year secondary school. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 9, 109–114. , & (
- 2000). The frequency of emotional and behavioural disturbance in an EBD school. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 5, 76–80. , , , & (
- 1999). ADHD with co-morbid disorders. New York: Guilford Press. , , & (
- 2001). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, reading disability, and personality disorders in a prison population. Journal of American Academic Psychiatry Law, 29, 186–93. , , & (
- 2004). Multi-agency collaboration: The challenges for CAMHS. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 9, 156–161. (
- 2006). Development of multi-agency referral pathways for ADHD, DCD and ASD: Reflections on the process and suggestions for new ways of working. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 11, 63–81. , , & (
- 1992). Comorbidity between ADHD and learning disability: A review and report in a clinically referred sample. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 31, 439–448. , , , , , & (
- 1999). Assessing the services for children with ADHD: Gaps and opportunities. Journal of Attention Disorders, 3, 13–29. , , & (
- 1991). The epidemiology of childhood hyperactivity. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , , & (
- 1999). Toward collaboration in the growing education-mental health interface. Clinical Psychology Review, 19, 239–253. , , & (
- Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) (2002). Special educational needs code of practice for Wales. Cardiff: National Assembly for Wales.
- Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) (2003). Community focused schools. Circular 34/2003. Cardiff: WAG.
- Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) (2004). National service framework for children, young people and maternity services in Wales: Consultation document. Cardiff: WAG.
- 2002). Collaboration in commissioning and delivering child and adolescent mental health services. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 15, 349–353. , & (
- World Health Organisation (WHO) (1992). The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders: Clinical descriptions and diagnostic guidelines. Geneva: WHO.