How do schools promote emotional well-being among their pupils? Findings from a national scoping survey of mental health provision in English schools
Article first published online: 6 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Child and Adolescent Mental Health © 2012 Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health.
Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Special Issue: Focus on child and adolescent mental health in schools
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 151–157, September 2013
How to Cite
Vostanis, P., Humphrey, N., Fitzgerald, N., Deighton, J. and Wolpert, M. (2013), How do schools promote emotional well-being among their pupils? Findings from a national scoping survey of mental health provision in English schools. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 18: 151–157. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-3588.2012.00677.x
- Issue published online: 22 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 6 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 MAY 2012
- Department for Education
- UCL research ethics committee. Grant Number: 1530/001
- 2011). The index for inclusion. Bristol: CSIE. , & (
- Children's Workforce Development Council. (2007). Common assessment framework for children and young people: Practitioners’ guide. Leeds: CWDC.
- 2003). School-based early identification and intervention service for adolescents: A psychology and school nurse partnership model. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 8, 34–39. , , & (
- 2009). Outcomes of conduct problems in adolescence: 40 year follow-up of national cohort. British Medical Journal, 338, a2981–a2981. , , , , , , & (
- Department for Children, Schools and Families. (2007). Social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL) programme: Guidance for secondary schools. Nottingham: DCSF.
- Department for Children, Schools and Families. (2008). Targeted mental health in schools project. Nottingham: DCSF.
- Department for Education. (2010). Schools, pupils, and their characteristics, January 2009. London: DCSF.
- Department for Education and Skills. (2003). Every child matters. Nottingham: DfES.
- Department for Education and Skills. (2005). Primary social and emotional aspects of learning (SEAL): Guidance for schools. Nottingham: DfES.
- Department for Education and Skills. (2006). Excellence and enjoyment: Social and emotional aspects of learning (key stage 2 small group activities). Nottingham: DfES.
- Department of Health/Department for Education and Employment. (1999). National healthy schools programme. Nottingham: DfEE.
- 2012). Implementation quality of whole-school mental health promotion and students’ academic performance. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 17, 45–51. , , , & (
- 2008). Implementation matters: A review of research on the influence of implementation on program outcomes and the factors affecting implementation. American Journal of Community Psychology, 41, 327–350. , & (
- 2011). The impact of enhancing students’ social and emotional learning: A meta-analysis of school-based universal interventions. Child Development, 82, 405–432. , , , , & (
- 2003). Implementation, sustainability, and scaling up of social-emotional and academic innovations in public schools. School Psychology Review, 32, 303–319. , , , & (
- 2004). Adult labour market implications of antisocial behaviour in childhood and adolescence: Findings from a UK longitudinal study. Applied Economics, 36, 93–105. , , & (
- 2005). Mental health of children and young people in great Britain 2004. Cardiff: ONS. , , , , & (
- 2010). School-based prevention: Current status and future challenges. Effective Education, 2, 27–52. (
- 2010). Social and emotional aspects of learning in secondary schools: National evaluation. Nottingham: DfE. , , & (
- 2003). Examining the role of implementation quality in school-based prevention using the PATHS curriculum. Prevention Science, 4, 53–63. , , & (
- 2010). Will PATHS lead to the 4th ‘R’? Better: Evidence-Based Education, 2, 8–9. , & (
- 2010). Teachers’ recognition of children's mental health problems. Child and Adolescent Mental Health, 15, 150–156. , & (
- 2008). Starving in the midst of plenty? A study of training needs for child and adolescent mental health service delivery in primary care. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 13, 463–478. , , & (
- 2005). Time trends in child and adolescent mental disorders. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, 18, 381–385. , , & (
- 2011). The public health impact of major depression: A call for interdisciplinary prevention efforts. Prevention Science, 12, 361–371. (
- 2010). Social and emotional learning in the classroom: Promoting mental health and academic success. London: Guildford. , & (
- 2007). Mental wellbeing of children in primary education (targeted/indicated activities). Teeside: University of Teeside. , , , & (
- 2007). What kinds of services do public schools in the United States provide? Advances in School Mental Health Promotion, 1, 13–22. , , & (
- 2005). Seamless services, smoother lives. York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation. , , , , & (
- 2012). What can schools teach child mental health services? Practitioners’ perceptions of training and joint working. Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties. in press. , , , , , , & (
- 2011). Child mental health practitioners’ knowledge and experiences of children's educational needs and services. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 16, 385–405. , , , , , , & (
- 2010). Mental health and social and emotional learning: Evidence, principles, tensions, balances. Advances in School Mental Health Promotion, 3, 5–17. (
- 2005). What do we know about promoting mental health through schools? Promotion and Education, 12, 4–8. , & (
- 2003). A systematic review of universal approaches to mental health promotion in schools. Health Education, 103, 197–220. , , & (
- 2007). School-based interventions for aggressive and disruptive behavior: Update of a meta-analysis. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 33(Suppl 2) S130–S143. , & (
- 2010). Me and my school: Preliminary findings from the first year of the National evaluation of targeted mental health in schools 2008–2009. Nottingham: DfE. , , , , , , … & (
- 2011). Me and my school: Findings from the National evaluation of targeted mental health in schools 2008–2011. Nottingham: DfE. , , , , , , … & (