Origins of marine patterns of biodiversity: some correlates and applications
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2010
© The Palaeontological Association
Volume 53, Issue 6, pages 1203–1210, November 2010
How to Cite
VALENTINE, J. W. and JABLONSKI, D. (2010), Origins of marine patterns of biodiversity: some correlates and applications. Palaeontology, 53: 1203–1210. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2010.01005.x
- Issue published online: 16 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2010
- Typescript received 25 October 2009; accepted in revised form 18 March 2010
- 2006. Assessing latitudinal gradients in speciation rates and biodiversity at the global scale. Ecology Letters, 9, 947–954. and
- 2007. Recasting the species-energy hypothesis: the different roles of kinetic and potential energy in regulating biodiversity. 283–299. In STORCH, D., MARQUET, P. A. and BROWN, J. H. (eds). Scaling biodiversity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 498 pp. , and
- 2001. Regional-scale assembly rules and biodiversity of coral reefs. Science, 292, 1532–1534. and
- 2007. Marine longitudinal biodiversity: causes and conservation. Diversity and Distributions, 13, 544–555.
- 2000. A critical reappraisal of the fossil record of the bilaterian phyla. Biological Reviews, 75, 253–295. and
- 1986. Larval biology of Early Cambrian mollusks: the implications of small body size. Bulletin of Marine Science, 39, 536–549. and
- 1998. Australia’s shelf seas: diversity and complexity. 933–964. In ROBINSON, A. R. and BRINK, K. H. (eds). The global coastal ocean. Wiley, New York, 1062 pp. and
- 2009. Temperature and marine macroecology. 250–278. In WITMAN, J. D. and ROY, K. (eds). Marine macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 424 pp.
- 2007. Thermal tolerance ranges and climate variability: a comparison between bivalves from differing climates. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 352, 200–211. , , and
- 2000. Evolution of taxonomic diversity gradients in the marine realm: evidence from the composition of Recent bivalve faunas. Paleobiology, 26, 188–214.
- 2002. Evolution of taxonomic diversity gradients in the marine realm: a comparison of Late Jurassic and Recent bivalve faunas. Paleobiology, 28, 184–207.
- 2002. Cenozoic paleobiogeography and the rise of modern biodiversity patterns. 153–168. In CRAME, J. A. and OWENS, A. W. (eds). Paleobiogeography and biodiversity change: the ordovician and mesozoic- cenozoic radiations. Geological Society of London, Special Publication, 194, 212 pp. and
- 2006. Examining the latitudinal diversity radient in Paleozoic terebratulide brachiopods: should singleton data be removed? Paleobiology, 32, 367–386. and
- 2005. The transition from planktotrophy to lecithotrophy in larvae of Lower Palaeozoic Rhynchonelliform brachiopods. Lethaia, 38, 219–254. and
- 2008. Variance in protegular size: a correlate of larval trophic mode in early Palaeozoic brachiopods. Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, Earth and Environmental Science, 98, 233–238. and
- 2009. Latitude, elevation and the tempo of molecular evolution in mammals. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 276, 3353–3359. , , and
- 2009. Foraminiferal diversification during the late Paleozoic ice age. Paleobiology, 35, 367–392. and
- 2010. Genus age, provincial area and the taxonomic structure of marine faunas. Proceedings of the Royal Society, 8, doi: 10.1098/rspb.2010.0628. , , and
- 1993. The tropics as a source of evolutionary novelty through geological time. Nature, 364, 142–144.
- 2005. Mass extinctions and macroevolution. Paleobiology, 31, 192–210.
- Macroevolutionary trends in time and space. 25–43. In GRANT, P. R. and GRANT, B. R. (eds). In search of the causes of evolution: from field observations to mechanisms. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 365 pp. In press.
- 1983. Larval ecology of marine benthic invertebrates – paleobiological implications. Biological Reviews, 58, 21–89. and
- 2006. Out of the tropics: evolutionary dynamics of the latitudinal diversity gradient. Science, 314, 102–106. , and
- 2003. Global patterns in endemism explained by past climatic change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 270, 583–590.
- 2004. Coral communities are regionally enriched along an oceanic biodiversity gradient. Nature, 429, 867–870. , and
- 2009. Geologic and biologic controls on the evolution of reefs. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 40, 173–192.
- 2010. Reefs as cradles of evolution and sources of biodiversity in the Phanerozoic. Science, 327, 196–198. , and
- 2007. Contrarian clade confirms the ubiquity of spatial origination patterns in the production of latitudinal diversity gradients. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 104, 18129–18134. , and
- 2008. Species-genus ratios reflect a global history of diversification and range expansion in marine bivalves. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 275, 1117–1123. , and
- 2009a. Generation of Earth’s first-order biodiversity pattern. Astrobiology, 9, 113–124. , , and
- 2009b. Signature of the end- Cretaceous mass extinction in the modern biota. Science, 323, 767–771. , , and
- 2006. Latitudinal and bathymetric trends in egg size variation: a new look at Thorson’s and Ross’s rules. Marine Ecology, 27, 7–14.
- 2005. The latitudinal diversity gradient through deep time: testing the “Age of the Tropics” hypothesis using Carboniferous productidine brachiopods. Evolutionary Ecology, 19, 563–581.
- 1998. Ecological geography of the sea. Academic Press, San Diego, CA.
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. and
- 2008. Latitudinal trends in digestive flexibility: testing the climatic variability hypothesis with data on the intestinal length of rodents. American Naturalist, 172, E122–E134. , and
- 2006. Origin of planktotrophy – evidence from early mollusks. Evolution and Development, 8, 325–330. , and
- 2005. Macroevolutionary interplay between planktic larvae and benthic predators. Geology, 33, 929–932.
- 2007. Earliest ontogeny of Middle Ordovician rhynchoneliform brachiopods (Clitamabonitoidea and Polytoechioidea): implications for brachiopod phylogeny. Lethaia, 40, 85–96. , and
- 2005. Climatic basis for sluggish macroevolution during the late Paleozoic ice age. Geology, 33, 381–384.
- 2007. Latitudinal diversity gradients for brachiopod genera during late Paleozoic time: links between climate, biogeography and evolutionary rates. Global Ecology and Biogeography, 16, 519–528.
- 2009. The latitudinal diversity gradient of brachiopods over the past 530 million years. Journal of Geology, 117, 585–594.
- 1989. Polar glaciers and life at the equator: the history of Dinantian and Namurian (Carboniferous) climate. Geology, 17, 408–4511. , and
- 2008. Patterns of biodiversity and endemism on Indo-West Pacific coral reefs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 105, 11474–11481. , and
- 1992. Latitudinal gradients in species diversity: the search for the primary cause. Oikos, 65, 514–527.
- 1995. Species diversity in time and space. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 1998. Marine latitudinal diversity gradients: tests of causal hypotheses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 95, 3699–3702. , , and
- 2004. Beyond species richness: biogeographical patterns and biodiversity dynamics using other metrics of diversity. 151–170. In LOMOLINO, M. V. and HEANEY, L. R. (eds). Frontiers of biogeography: new directions in the geography of nature. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA, 436 pp. , and
- 1970. Living and Fossil Brachiopods. Hutchinson, London, 199 pp.
- 2007. No evidence for planktotrophy in Cambrian mollusks. Evolution and Development, 9, 311–312.
- 2008. The Ordovician biodiversification: revolution in the oceanic trophic chain. Lethaia, 41, 99–109. , , , , , and
- 2009. Roadian-Wordian (Guadalupian, Middle Permian) global palaeobiogeography of brachiopods. Global and Planetary Change, 65, 166–181. , , and
- 1994. The plankton and the benthos: origins and early history of an evolving relationship. Paleobiology, 20, 297–319. and
- 1950. Reproductive and larval ecology of marine bottom invertebrates. Biological Review, 25, 1–45.
- 1996. Brachiopod paleozoography through the Cambrian. 275–280. In COPPER, P. and JIN, J. (eds). Brachiopods. A.A. Balkema, Rotterdam, 377 pp.
- 1972. Conceptual models of ecosystem evolution. 192–215. In SCHOPF, T. J. M. (ed.). Models in paleobiology. Freeman, Cooper, San Francisco, CA, 250 pp.
- 1973. Evolutionary paleoecology of the marine biosphere. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- 1983. Seasonality: effects in marine benthic communities. 121–156. In TEVESZ, M. J. S. and MCCALL, P. L. (eds). Biotic interactions in recent and fossil benthic communities. Plenum, New York, 837 pp.
- 2009. Overview of marine biodiversity. 3–28. In WITMAN, J. D. and ROY, K. (eds). Marine macroecology. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 424 pp.
- 1983. Larval adaptations and patterns of brachiopod diversity in space and time. Evolution, 37, 1052–1061. and
- 1978. A provincial model of Phanerozoic marine diversity. Paleobiology, 4, 55–66. , and
- 2008. Incumbency, diversity, and latitudinal gradients. Paleobiology, 34, 169–178. , , and
- 2005. From phenomenology to first principles: towards a theory of diversity. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 56 (Suppl. 1, No. 2): 12–23.
- 2002. Continental drift and Phanerozoic carbonate accumulation in shallow-shelf and deep-marine settings. Journal of Geology, 110, 25–87. , and
- 1984. Equilibrium models of evolutionary species diversity and the number of empty niches. American Naturalist, 124, 887–899. and
- 1996. No second chances? New perspectives on biotic interactions in post-Paleozoic brachiopod history. 281–288. In COPPER, P. and JIN, J. (eds). Brachiopods. A. A. Balkema, Rotterdam, 377 pp.
- 2004. The relationship between regional and local species diversity in marine benthic communities: a global perspective. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 101, 15664–15669. , and
- 2008. Biogeography of the Recent brachiopods. Paleontological Journal, 42, 830–858.