Geographical, environmental and intrinsic biotic controls on Phanerozoic marine diversification
Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2010
© The Palaeontological Association
Volume 53, Issue 6, pages 1211–1235, November 2010
How to Cite
ALROY, J. (2010), Geographical, environmental and intrinsic biotic controls on Phanerozoic marine diversification. Palaeontology, 53: 1211–1235. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2010.01011.x
- Issue online: 16 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 16 NOV 2010
- Typescript received 21 January 2010; accepted in revised form 12 September 2010
- 2007. Faunal evidence for reduced productivity and uncoordinated recovery in Southern Hemisphere Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary sections. Geology, 35, 227–230. , , , and
- 1993. Paleolatitudinal sampling bias, Phanerozoic species diversity, and the end-Permian extinction. Geology, 21, 65–68. and
- 1996. Constant extinction, constrained diversification, and uncoordinated stasis in North American mammals. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 127, 285–311.
- 2000. New methods for quantifying macroevolutionary patterns and processes. Paleobiology, 26, 707–733.
- 2008. Dynamics of origination and extinction in the fossil record. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 105, 11536–11542.
- 2010. The shifting balance of diversity among major marine animal groups. Science, 329, 1191–1194.
- 2001. Effects of sampling standardization on estimates of Phanerozoic marine diversification. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 98, 6261–6266. , , , , et al. (21 others)
- 2008. Phanerozoic trends in the diversity of marine invertebrates. Science, 321, 97–100. , , , , et al. (31 others)
- 1999. Energetics in the global marine fauna: a connection between terrestrial diversification and change in the marine biosphere. Geobios, 32, 131–144.
- 1995. Diversification and extinction in the history of life. Science, 268, 52–58.
- 2009. The Red Queen and the Court Jester: species diversity and the role of biotic and abiotic factors through time. Science, 323, 728–732.
- 2007. How did life become so diverse? The dynamics of diversification according to the fossil record and molecular phylogenetics. Palaeontology, 50, 23–40. and
- 1992. Morphological disparity in the Cambrian. Science, 256, 1670–1673. , and
- 2000. Missing molluscs as evidence of large-scale, early skeletal aragonite dissolution in a Silurian sea. Geology, 28, 791–794. and
- 2009. The double mass extinction revisited: reassessing the severity, selectivity, and causes of the end-Guadalupian biotic crisis (Late Permian). Paleobiology, 35, 32–50. , and
- 1994. Estimating terrestrial biodiversity through extrapolation. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 345, 101–118. and
- 2002. Global Ordovician faunal transitions in the marine benthos: ultimate causes. Paleobiology, 28, 26–40. and
- 1988. Ecological succession in Phanerozoic reef ecosystems: is it real? Palaios, 3, 136–151.
- 2009. Climate as a driver of evolutionary change. Current Biology, 19, R575–R583.
- 2005. Relative and absolute abundance of trilobites and rhynchonelliform brachiopods across the Lower/Middle Ordovician boundary, eastern Basin and Range. Paleobiology, 31, 480–502. and
- 1960. Latitudinal variations in organic diversity. Evolution, 14, 64–81.
- 1994. Temporal variation in extinction risk and temporal scaling of extinction metrics. Paleobiology, 20, 424–444.
- 1999. Absolute measures of the completeness of the fossil record. Nature, 398, 415–417. and
- 1953. The population frequencies of species and the estimation of population parameters. Biometrika, 40, 237–264.
- 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecology Letters, 4, 379–391. and
- 1993. The first 2 million years after the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary in east Texas: rate and paleoecology of the molluscan recovery. Paleobiology, 19, 251–265. , and
- 2009. The influence of lithification on Cenozoic marine biodiversity trends. Paleobiology, 35, 51–62.
- 2007. Coral reefs under rapid climate change and ocean acidification. Science, 318, 1737–1742. , , , , et al. (13 others)
- 1986. Randomness and diversification in the Phanerozoic: a simulation. Palaeontology, 29, 655–663. and
- 1971. The nonconcept of species diversity: a critique and alternative parameters. Ecology, 52, 577–586.
- 1998. Evolutionary significance of differential species longevity in Osagean-Meramecian (Mississippian) crinoid clades. Paleobiology, 24, 155–176. , and
- 2002. Secular variations in the Phanerozoic reef ecosystem. Phanerozoic Reef Patterns, SEPM Special Publication, 72, 625–690.
- 2009. Geologic and biologic controls on the evolution of reefs. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics, 40, 173–192.
- 2007. Environmental determinants of marine benthic biodiversity dynamics through Triassic-Jurassic time. Paleobiology, 33, 414–434. and
- 2007. Extinction trajectories of benthic organisms across the Triassic-Jurassic boundary. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 244, 201–222. , , and
- 2008. Phanerozoic trends in skeletal mineralogy driven by mass extinctions. Nature Geoscience, 1, 527–580. , and
- 2010. Reefs as cradles of evolution and sources of biodiversity in the Phanerozoic. Science, 327, 196–198. , and
- 1979. Phanerozoic land-plant diversity in North America. Science, 206, 1400–1402. , and
- 2007. Paleophysiology and end-Permian mass extinction. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 256, 295–313. , , , and
- 1998. Long-term and short-term global Cenozoic sea-level estimates. Geology, 26, 311–314. , and
- 2004. Rapid recovery from the Late Ordovician mass extinction. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 101, 17605–17610. and
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 203 pp. and
- 2008. Quality of the Triassic–Jurassic bivalve record in northwest Europe. Palaeontology, 51, 1213–1223. and
- 2007. Fossil plants and global warming at the Triassic–Jurassic boundary. Science, 285, 1386–1390. , and
- 2009. Fossil plant relative abundances indicate sudden loss of Late Triassic biodiversity in East Greenland. Science, 324, 1554–1556. , and
- 2008. Are global Phanerozoic marine diversity curves truly global? A study of the relationship between regional rock records and global Phanerozoic marine diversity. Paleobiology, 34, 80–103. and
- 1989. Causation and nonrandomness in biological and geological time series: temperature as a proximal control of extinction and diversity. Palaios, 4, 3–15. and
- 1997. Comparative diversification dynamics among palaeocontinents during the Ordovician Radiation. Geobios, 30(suppl. 1), 397–406.
- 1998. Biotic transitions in global marine diversity. Science, 281, 1157–1160.
- 1996. Calibrating the Ordovician radiation of marine life: implications for Phanerozoic diversity trends. Paleobiology, 22, 304–309. and
- 1952. Periodicity in invertebrate evolution. Journal of Paleontology, 26, 371–385.
- 1959. Adequacy of the fossil record. Journal of Paleontology, 33, 488–499.
- 2001. Evaluating taxonomic turnover: Pennsylvanian–Permian brachiopods and bivalves of the North American Midcontinent. Paleobiology, 27, 646–668. and
- 1982. The adequacy of the fossil record. 75–117. In JOYSEY, K. A. and FRIDAY, A. E. (eds). Problems of phylogenetic reconstruction. Academic Press, London, 442 pp.
- 2004. Evenness of Cambrian–Ordovician benthic marine communities in North America. Paleobiology, 30, 325–346.
- 2005. Geologic constraints on the macroevolutionary history of marine animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 102, 12326–12331.
- 2001. Biodiversity in the Phanerozoic: a reinterpretation. Paleobiology, 27, 583–601. and
- 1972. Taxonomic diversity during the Phanerozoic. Science, 177, 1065–1071.
- 1975. Taxonomic diversity estimation using rarefaction. Paleobiology, 1, 333–342.
- 1976. Species diversity in the Phanerozoic: an interpretation. Paleobiology, 2, 289–297.
- 1979. Biases in the fossil record of species and genera. Bulletin of the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, 13, 85–91.
- 1985. Mathematical models of cladogenesis. Paleobiology, 11, 42–52.
- 1982. Mass extinctions in the marine fossil record. Science, 215, 1501–1503. and
- 1973. Stochastic models of phylogeny and the evolution of diversity. Journal of Geology, 81, 525–542. , , and
- 1996. Higher taxa in biodiversity studies: patterns from eastern Pacific marine molluscs. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 351, 1605–1613. , and
- 1998. Marine latitudinal gradients: tests of causal hypotheses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 95, 3699–3702. , , and
- 2000. Dissecting latitudinal diversity gradients: functional groups and clades of marine bivalves. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 267, 293–299. , and
- 1974. Permo-Triassic extinctions: relation to sea-floor spreading. Journal of Geology, 82, 129–143.
- 2010. The Chicxulub asteroid impact and mass extinction at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. Science, 327, 1214–1218. , , , , et al. (37 others)
- 1976. Species diversity in the Phanerozoic: species-area effects. Paleobiology, 2, 298–303.
- 1978. A kinetic model of Phanerozoic taxonomic diversity. I. Analysis of marine orders. Paleobiology, 4, 223–251.
- 1979. A kinetic model of Phanerozoic taxonomic diversity. II. Early Phanerozoic families and multiple equilibria. Paleobiology, 5, 222–251.
- 1984. A kinetic model of Phanerozoic taxonomic diversity. III. Post-Paleozoic families and mass extinctions. Paleobiology, 10, 246–267.
- 1988. Alpha, beta, or gamma: where does all the diversity go? Paleobiology, 14, 221–234.
- 1997. Biodiversity: past, present, and future. Journal of Paleontology, 71, 533–539.
- 1981. Phanerozoic marine diversity: a strong signal from the fossil record. Nature, 293, 435–437. , , and
- 2009. The impact of lithification on the diversity, size distribution, and recovery dynamics of marine invertebrate assemblages. Geology, 37, 115–118. , and
- 1977. Species diversity in the Phanerozoic: a reflection of labor by systematists? Paleobiology, 3, 325–328.
- 1974. Permo-Triassic extinctions: effects of area on biotic equilibrium. Journal of Geology, 81, 267–274.
- 1960. The history of life. 117–180. In TAX, S. (ed.). Evolution after Darwin. Volume I. The evolution of life. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 629 pp.
- 2001. Large-scale heterogeneity of the fossil record: implications for Phanerozoic biodiversity studies. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London, Series B, 356, 351–367.
- 1988. The history of early Mesozoic reef communities: a three-step process. Palaios, 3, 170–183.
- 1969. Generation and maintenance of gradients in taxonomic diversity. Science, 164, 947–949. , and
- 1979. Rarefaction and rarefiction: the use and abuse of a method in paleoecology. Paleobiology, 5, 423–434.
- 1969. Patterns and taxonomic and ecological structure of the shelf benthos during Phanerozoic time. Palaeontology, 12, 684–709.
- 1970. How many marine invertebrate fossil species? A new approximation. Journal of Paleontology, 44, 410–415.
- 1973. A new evolutionary law. Evolutionary Theory, 1, 1–30.
- 1998. Trilobite alpha diversity and the reorganization of Ordovician benthic marine communities. Paleobiology, 24, 1–16. and
- 2003. Correlated terrestrial and marine evidence for global climate changes before mass extinction at the Cretaceous-Paleogene boundary. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA, 100, 599–604. , and