Scleritome construction, biofacies, biostratigraphy and systematics of the tommotiid Eccentrotheca helenia sp. nov. from the Early Cambrian of South Australia
Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2011
© The Palaeontological Association
Volume 54, Issue 2, pages 253–286, March 2011
How to Cite
SKOVSTED, C. B., BROCK, G. A., TOPPER, T. P., PATERSON, J. R. and HOLMER, L. E. (2011), Scleritome construction, biofacies, biostratigraphy and systematics of the tommotiid Eccentrotheca helenia sp. nov. from the Early Cambrian of South Australia. Palaeontology, 54: 253–286. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2010.01031.x
- Issue online: 15 MAR 2011
- Version of Record online: 15 MAR 2011
- Typescript received 12 November 2009; accepted in revised form 27 March 2010
- 2004. Shell structure, ontogeny, and affinities of the Lower Cambrian bivalved problematic fossil Mickwitzia muralensis Walcott, 1913. Lethaia, 37, 381–400.
- 2009. Homologous skeletal secretion in tommotiids and brachiopods. Geology, 37, 1143–1146. , , and
- 1990. Stages in the development of cribras and their connection with archaeocyaths. 13–18. In SOKOLOV, B. S. and ZHURAVLEVA, I. T. (eds). Fossil problematics of the USSR. Trudy Instituta geologii i geofiziki sibirskogo odteleniya AN SSSR, 783, 158 pp. [In Russian]. and
- 1970. The Lower Cambrian fossil Tommotia. Lethaia, 3, 363–392.
- 1977. Aspects of problematic fossils in the early Palaeozoic. Acta Universitatis Upsaliensis, Abstracts of Uppsala Dissertations from the Faculty of Science 415, 71 pp.
- 1983. The oldest sequence of skeletal fossils in the Lower Cambrian of southeastern Newfoundland. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 20, 525–536. and
- 1990. Early Cambrian fossils from South Australia. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 9, 1–364. , , , and
- 1976. Dailyatia, a new genus of the Tommotiidae from Cambrian strata of SE Australia (Crustacea, Cirripedia). Senkenbergiana Lethaea, 57, 1–33.
- 2008. Testing the new animal phylogeny: a phylum level molecular analysis of the animal kingdom. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 49, 23–31. , , and
- 1976. Early Cambrian intergrowths of archaeocyathids, Renalcis, and pseudostromatolites from South Australia. Palaeontology, 19, 223–245.
- 1984. Microfossils and small shelly fossils from the Lower Cambrian Hyolithes Limestone at Nuneaton, English Midlands. Geological Magazine, 121, 229–253.
- 1986. The succession of small shelly fossils (especially conoidal microfossils) from English Precambrian–Cambrian boundary beds. Geological Magazine, 123, 237–256.
- 2004. A new species of Tannuella (Helcionellida, Mollusca) from the Early Cambrian of South Australia. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 30, 133–143. and
- 1986a. Subdivision of the lower part of the Wilkawillina Limestone, eastern Flinders Ranges. Quarterly Geological Notes, Geological Survey of South Australia, 97, 12–16.
- 1986b. Subdivision of the early Cambrian Parara Limestone at Wilkawillina Gorge, Flinders Ranges. Quarterly Geological Notes, Geological Survey of South Australia, 99, 2–7.
- 1986c. Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the upper part of the Wilkawillina Limestone, Wilkawillina Gorge, Flinders Ranges. Quarterly Geological Notes, Geological Survey of South Australia, 100, 2–7.
- 1990a. An Early Cambrian carbonate platform near Wilkawillina Gorge, South Australia. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 37, 471–483.
- 1990b. Slope facies deposition and diagenesis of the Early Cambrian Parara Limestone, Wilkawillina Gorge, South Australia. 230–246. In JAGO, J. B. and MOORE, P. S. (eds). Evolution of a Late Precambrian – Early Palaeozoic Rift Complex: the Adelaide Geosyncline. Geological Society of Australia, Special Publication, 16, 494 pp.
- 2000. Monophyly of brachiopods and phoronids; reconciliation of molecular evidence with Linnean classification (the subphylum Phoroniformea nov.). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 267, 226–231.
- 2005. Molecular evidence that phoronids are a subtaxon of brachiopods (Brachiopoda: Phoronata) and that genetic divergence of metazoan phyla began long before the Early Cambrian. Organisms, Diversity and Evolution, 5, 253–273. and
- 1993. The fossil record and the early evolution of the Metazoa. Nature, 361, 219–225.
- 1995. Articulated halkieriids from the Lower Cambrian of North Greenland and their role in early protostome evolution. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B, 347, 305–358. and
- 1956. The Cambrian in South Australia. 91–147. In RODGERS, J. (ed.). El Sistema Cambrico, su paleogeografia y el problema de su base, Report 20th International Geological Congress, Mexico 2.
- 1964. Report on the lower Cambrian stratigraphy of the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Transactions of the Royal Society of South Australia, 88, 129–145.
- 2004. New data on the sclerite morphology of the tommotiid species Lapworthella fasciculata. Paleontological Journal, 38, 134–140.
- 2008. Broad phylogenomic sampling improves resolution of the animal tree of life. Nature, 452, 745–749. , et al. (17 others)
- 1996. Biostratigraphy and fauna of the lower Cambrian of Mongolia. Trudy, Sovmestnaya Rossiysko-Mongol’skaya Paleontologicheskaya Ekspeditsiya, 46, 214 pp. [In Russian]. and
- 1990. Small shelly fossils from Antarctica: an Early Cambrian faunal connection with Australia. Journal of Paleontology, 64, 692–700. and
- 1967. New group of problematic Early Cambrian organisms and methods of preparing them. Paleontological Journal, 1967 (2), 7–18. and
- 2009. Assembling the spiralian tree of life. 52–64. In TELFORD, M. J. and LITTLEWOOD, D. T. J. (eds). Animal evolution: genes, genomes, fossils and trees. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 264 pp. , , , , and
- 1984. Archaeocyatha from lower parts of the Lower Cambrian carbonate sequence in South Australia. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 3, 1–139.
- 1995. Arrowie Basin. 20–31. In DREXEL, J. F. and PRIESS, W. V. (eds). The Geology of South Australia, Volume 2: The Phanerozoic. Mines and Energy, South Australia, Bulletin 54, 347 pp. and
- 2001. Australian Early and Middle Cambrian sequence biostratigraphy with implications for species diversity and correlation. 105–136. In ZHURAVLEV, A. Yu. and RIDING, R. (eds). The Ecology of the Cambrian radiation. Columbia University Press, New York, 525 pp. and
- 2001. The Cambrian Biostratigraphy of the Stansbury Basin, South Australia. Transaction of the Palaeontological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, 282, 344 pp. , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Phylogenomic analyses of lophophorates (brachiopods, phoronids and bryozoans) confirm the Lophotrochozoa concept. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 275, 1927–1933. , and
- 2009. Assessing the root of bilaterian animals with scalable phylogenomic methods. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B., 276, 4261–4270. , et al. (16 others)
- 1987. The Lower Cambrian microfauna of Comley and Rushton, Shropshire/England. Palaeontographica Abteilung A, 198, 41–100.
- 2001. Phylogeny and classification: Linguliformea and Craniiformea. 11–26. In CARLSON, S. and SANDY, M. (eds). Brachiopods ancient and modern: a tribute to G. Arthur Cooper. Palaeontological Society Papers, 7, 261 pp.
- 2008a. Organophosphatic stem group brachiopods: implications for the phylogeny of the subphylum Linguliformea. Fossils and Strata, 54, 3–11. , and
- 2002. A stem group brachiopod from the Lower Cambrian – support for a Micrina (halkieriid) ancestry. Palaeontology, 45, 875–882. , and
- 2009. The enigmatic Early Cambrian Salanygolina– a stem group of rhynchonelliform chileate brachiopods? Palaeontology, 52, 1–10. , , , and
- 2008b. The Early Cambrian tommotiid Micrina, a sessile bivalved stem group brachiopod. Biology Letters, 4, 724–728. , , , and
- 2011. First record of a bivalved larval shell in Early Cambrian tommotiids and its phylogenetic significance. Palaeontology, 54, 235–239. , , , and
- 1958. The occurrence of chitin in the lophophorate phyla. The Biological Bulletin, 114, 106–112.
- 1990. Lower Cambrian shelf and shelf margin build-ups, Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Sedimentology, 37, 455–480. and
- 1972. Cribricyaths of the Lower Cambrian. 161–183. In ZHURAVLEVA, I. T. (ed.). Problems of Lower Cambrian biostratigraphy and paleontology of Siberia. Nauka, Moscow, 292 pp.
- 2007. Epipunctae and phosphatized setae in late Ordovician plaesiomyid brachiopods from Anticosti Island, Eastern Canada. Journal of Paleontology, 81, 666–683. , , and
- 1995. Primordial metazoan-calcimicrobial reefs: Tommotian (Early Cambrian) of the Siberian Platform. Palaios, 10, 291–321. , and
- 1984. Skeleton of lapworthellids and the suprageneric classification of tommotiids (Early and Middle Cambrian phosphatic problematica). Journal of Paleontology, 58, 1380–1398.
- 1988. Lower Cambrian of Eastern Massachusetts: stratigraphy and small shelly fossils. Journal of Paleontology, 62, 661–695.
- 1991. Upper Precambrian through Lower Cambrian of Cape Breton Island: faunas, paleoenvironment and stratigraphic revision. Journal of Paleontology, 65, 570–594.
- 1995. Upper Placentian–Branchian Series of mainland Nova Scotia (middle–upper Lower Cambrian): faunas, paleoenvironments, and stratigraphic revision. Journal of Paleontology, 69, 475–495.
- 2004. Precambrian–Cambrian boundary interval deposition and the marginal platform of the Avalon microcontinent. Journal of Geodynamics, 37, 411–435.
- 1980. A microfauna associated with Early Cambrian trilobites of the Callavia Zone, northern Antigonish Highlands, Nova Scotia. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 17, 400–418. , and
- 1989. The Placentian Series: appearance of the oldest skeletalized faunas in southeastern Newfoundland. Journal of Paleontology, 63, 739–769. , , and
- 1986. Phosphatic fauna of the Early Cambrian Todd River Dolomite, Amadeus Basin, central Australia. Alcheringa, 10, 431–454.
- 2004. Tannuolina and Micrina (Tannuolinidae) from the Lower Cambrian of eastern Yunnan, South China, and their scleritome reconstruction. Journal of Paleontology, 78, 900–913. and
- 1970. New generic name Tommotia, nom. nov. Paleontologicheskiy Zhurnal, 1970, 100 pp. [In Russian].
- 1989. Oldest skeletal fossils and stratigraphy of Precambrian and Cambrian boundary beds. Trudy Akademia Nauk SSSR, 443, 238 pp. [In Russian].
- 2009. Lophotrochozoa internal phylogeny: new insights from an up-to-date analysis of nuclear ribosomal genes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 276, 1245–1254. , and
- 2007. Early Cambrian trilobites from Angorichina, Flinders Ranges, South Australia, with a new assemblage from the Pararaia bunyerooensis Zone. Journal of Paleontology, 81, 116–142. and
- 2009. Oikozetetes from the early Cambrian of South Australia: implications for halkieriid affinities and functional morphology. Lethaia, 42, 199–203. , and
- 2007. Taphonomy and palaeoecology of the emuellid trilobite, Balcoracania dailyi (Early Cambrian, South Australia). Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 249, 302–321. , , and
- 2001. Animal phylogeny and the ancestry of bilaterians: inferences from morphology and 18S rDNA gene sequences. Evolution and Development, 3, 170–205. and
- 2001. Ecology and evolution of Cambrian Reefs. 254–274. In ZHURAVLEV, A. YU. and RIDING, R. (eds). The Ecology of the Cambrian Radiation. Columbia University Press, New York, 525 pp. , , and
- 1989. Palaeontology and biostratigraphy of the Early Cambrian Meishucunian Stage in Yunnan Province, South China. Fossils and Strata, 24, 156 pp. and
- 1988. Structure and palaeoecology of Lower Cambrian reefs. Palaios, 18, 111–135. and
- 1969. The Tommotian Stage and the Cambrian lower Boundary problem. Trudy Geologocheskogo Instituta Akademia Nauk SSSR, 206, 380 pp. [In Russian]. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2009. Phoronid phylogenetics (Brachiopoda; Phoronata): evidence from morphological cladistics, small and large subunit rDNA sequences, and mitochondrial cox1. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 157, 34–50. and
- 2003. The Early Cambrian stem group brachiopod Mickwitzia from Northeast Greenland. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 48, 11–30. and
- 2005. Early Cambrian brachiopods from North-East Greenland. Palaeontology, 48, 325–345. and
- 2006. Bivalved arthropods from the Lower Cambrian Mernmerna Formation of South Australia and their implications for the identification of Cambrian ‘small shelly fossils’. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 32, 7–41. , and
- 2008. The scleritome of Eccentrotheca from the Lower Cambrian of South Australia: lophophorate affinities and implications for tommotiid phylogeny. Geology, 36, 171–174. , , , and
- 2009a. The scleritome of Paterimitra: an Early Cambrian stem group brachiopod from South Australia. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B, 276, 1651–1656. , , , , , , , and
- 2009b. The tommotiid Camenella reticulosa from the early Cambrian of South Australia: morphology, scleritome reconstruction, and phylogeny. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54, 525–540. , , and
- Setatella significans, a new name for mickwitziid stem group brachiopods from the lower Cambrian of Greenland and Labrador. GFF, 132, 117–122. , , and 2010.
- 2009. Shelly fossils from the lower Cambrian Pararaia bunyerooensis Zone, Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Memoirs of the Association of Australasian Palaeontologists, 37, 199–246. , , and
- 2010. Palaeoscolecid scleritome fragments with Hadimopanella plates from the early Cambrian of South Australia. Geological Magazine, 147, 86–97. , , and
- 2002. Genus Micrina (small shelly fossils) from the Lower Cambrian of South Australia: morphology, microstructures, and possible relation to halkieriids. Paleontological Journal, 36, 9–19.
- 1967. Archaeocyatha and the biostratigraphy of the Lower Cambrian Hawker Group, South Australia. Journal of the Geological Society of Australia, 14, 139–152.
- 2002. Shell structure and inferred growth, functions and affinities of the sclerites of the problematic Micrina. Palaeontology, 45, 845–873. and
- 1998. The ecological evolution of reefs. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics, 29, 179–206.
- 1993. The ecology of Lower Cambrian buildups from Zuune Arts, Mongolia: implications for early metazoan reef evolution. Sedimentology, 40, 829–858. , and
- 2008. Complete nucleotide sequences of mitochondrial genomes of two solitary entoprocts, Loxocorone allax and Loxosomella aloxiata: implications for lophotrochozoan phylogeny. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 47, 612–628. , , , , , , and
- 2002. Sequence analysis and petroleum potential in the Arrowie Basin, South Australia. South Australia. Department of Primary Industries and Resources. Report Book 2002/024, 170 pp.
- 2004. A review of basin evolution, sequence analysis and petroleum potential of the frontier Arrowie Basin, South Australia. 243–256. In BOULT, P. J., JOHNS, D. R. and LANG, S. C. (eds). Eastern Australasian Basins Symposium II, Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia, Special Publication, 744 pp. , , and
- 2008. Early Cambrian radiation of brachiopods: a perspective from South China. Gondwana Research, 14, 241–254. , , and
- 2001. Biotic diversity and structure during the Neoproterozoic–Ordovician transition. 173–199. In ZHURAVLEV, A. Yu. and RIDING, R. (eds). The Ecology of the Cambrian radiation. Columbia University Press, New York, 525 pp.
- 1995. Lower Cambrian reefal cryptic communities. Palaeontology, 38, 443–470. and