Bennettitalean leaf cuticle fragments (here Anomozamites and Pterophyllum) can be used interchangeably in stomatal frequency-based palaeo-CO2 reconstructions
Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2011
© The Palaeontological Association
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 867–882, July 2011
How to Cite
STEINTHORSDOTTIR, M., BACON, K. L., POPA, M. E., BOCHNER, L. and McELWAIN, J. C. (2011), Bennettitalean leaf cuticle fragments (here Anomozamites and Pterophyllum) can be used interchangeably in stomatal frequency-based palaeo-CO2 reconstructions. Palaeontology, 54: 867–882. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-4983.2011.01060.x
- Issue online: 14 JUL 2011
- Version of Record online: 14 JUL 2011
- Typescript received 2 November 2009; accepted in revised form 21 December 2010
- 1997. Responses of leaf anatomy to light environment in the tree fern Cyathea caracasana (Cyatheaceae) and its application to some ancient seed ferns. Palaios, 12, 84–94.
- 1998. Sun and shade leaves in two Jurassic species of Pteridosperms. Review of Palaebotany and Palynology, 103, 209–221. and
- 2002. Palaeoclimatology: CO2 and the end-Triassic mass extinction. Nature, 415, 386–387.
- 1993. The impact of atmospheric CO2 and temperature changes on stomatal density: observations from Quercus robur lammas leaves. Annals of Botany, 71, 231–235. and
- 2002. Reading a CO2 signal from fossil stomata. New Phytologist, 153, 387–397. and
- 1998. Stomatal responses of the ‘living fossil’Ginkgo biloba L. to changes in atmospheric CO2 concentrations. Journal of Experimental Botany, 49, 1603–1607. , and
- 2006. Foliar trichomes, boundary layers, and gas exchange in 12 species of epiphytic Tillandsia (Bromeliaceae). Journal of Plant Physiology, 162, 648–656. and
- 2010. Changing CO2 conditions during the end-Triassic inferred from stomatal frequency analysis on Lepidopteris ottonis (Goeppert) Schimper and Ginkgoites taeniatus (Braun) Harris. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 295, 146–161. , and
- 2000. Bennettitales from Early Cretaceous floras of West Greenland: Pterophyllum and Nilssoniopteris. Palaeontographica Abteilung B, 255, 47–77.
- 1825. Observations sur les végétaux fossiles renfermés dans les grès de Hoer en Scanie (in French). Annales des Sciences Naturelles, 4, 200–224.
- 2003. Response of Quercus pubescens leaves exposed to geothermal pollutant input in southern Tuscany (Italy). Environmental Pollution, 121, 349–361. , , , and
- 1990. Do fossil plants give a climatic signal? Journal of the Geological Society, London, 147, 343–350. and
- 1997. The fossil plant record and global climatic change. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 95, 73–82. and
- 2001. Assessing the potential for the stomatal characters of extant and fossil Ginkgo leaves to signal atmospheric CO2 change. American Journal of Botany, 88, 1309–1315. , , , , , and
- 2009. Bennettitales from the Grisethorpe bed (Middle Jurassic) at Cayton Bay, Yorkshire, UK. American Journal of Botany, 96, 284–295. and
- 2004. Leaf beetle grazing does not induce trichome defence in the coppicing willow Salix viminalis. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 6, 105–109. , and
- 1993. Forced regression in a large wave- and storm-dominated anoxic lake; Kap Stewart Formation, East Greenland. Geology, 20, 748–751. and
- 2002. First evidence of epidermal structures of Ginkgo from the Mediterranean Tertiary. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 120, 1–15. and
- 1978. Leaf Hairs: effects on physiological activity and adaptive value to a desert shrub. Oecologia, 37, 183–200. and
- 1996. Sun-shade adaptability of the red mangrove, Rhizopora mangle (Rhizophoracaae): changes through Ontogeny at several levels of biological organiztion. American Journal of Botany, 83, 1131–1143. and
- 1933. Studien über die Cycadales des Mesozoikums nebst erörterungen über die spaltöffnungsapparate der Bennettitales (in German). Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens Akademiska Handlingar, 5, 1–134.
- 2006. Stomatal responses in deciduous oaks from southern Europe to the anthropogenic CO2 increase; refining the stomatal-based CO2 proxy. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 141, 303–312. , , and
- 1988. Adaptation to sun and shade: a whole-plant perspective. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology, 15, 63–92.
- 2001. Sun and shade leaves? Cuticle ultrastructure of Jurassic Komlopteris nordenskioeldii (Nathorst) Barbacka. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 114, 191–208. , and
- 1999. Research reviews. Biotic and abiotic consequences of differences in leaf structure. New Phytologist, 143, 3–18.
- 2001. PAST: palaeontological statistics software package for education and data analysis. Palaentologica Electronica, 4, 9 pp. , and
- 1926. The Rhaetic flora of Scoresby Sound, East Greenland. Meddelelser om Grønland, 68, 1–147.
- 1932a. The fossil flora of Scoresby Sound, East Greenland, Part 2. Description of seed plants incertae sedis together with a discussion of certain cycadophyte cuticles. Meddelelser om Grønland, 85, 1–112.
- 1932b. The fossil flora of Scoresby Sound, East Greenland, Part 3. Caytoniales and Bennettitales. Meddelelser om Grønland, 85, 1–133.
- 1937. The fossil flora of Scoresby Sound, East Greenland, Part 5. Stratigraphic relations of the plant beds. Meddelelser om Grønland, 112, 1–112.
- 1969. The Yorkshire Jurassic Flora. III. Bennettitales. British Museum (Natural History), London, 186 pp.
- 2008. Hot, dry, wet, cold or toxic? Revisiting the ecological significance of leaf and cuticular morphology. Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology, 262, 79–90. and
- 2002. Terrestrial and marine extinction at the Triassic–Jurassic boundary synchronized with major carbon-cycle perturbation: a link to initiation of massive volcanism? Geology, 30, 251–254. , , and
- 2003. Digital future for palaeoclimate estimation from fossil leaves? Preliminary results. Palaois, 18, 266–274. , and
- 2005. Rising atmospheric CO2 as a possible trigger for the end-Triassic mass extinction. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology, 217, 223–242. and
- 1967. Effect of shade on leaf structure of deciduous tree species. Ecology, 48, 498–499.
- 1995. Plant life form, stomatal density and taxonomic relatedness: a reanalysis of Salisbury (1927). Functional Ecology, 9, 422–431. and
- 1990. The study of fossil gymnosperms by means of cuticular analysis. Palaois, 5, 548–569.
- 2001. New fossil plants from the Nampo Group (Lower Mesozoic), Korea. Geosciences Journal, 5, 173–180.
- 1997. Bennettitalean and coniferalean (?) leaves from the Cretaceous (Cenomanian) of the Bohemian Massif, Central Europe. Cretaceous Research, 18, 567–586. and
- 2001. Pterophyllum (Cycadopsida) from Carnian beds in Poljane valley (Slovenia). Geologia , 44, 317–323. , AND
- 2003. Stomatal frequency adjustment of four conifer species to historical changes in atmospheric CO2. American Journal of Botany, 90, 610–619. , , , , , and
- 2005. Atmospheric CO2 fluctuations during the last millenium reconstructed by stomatal frequency analysis of Tsuga heterophylla needles. Geology, 33, 33–36. , , and
- 2003. Trichomes of the seed fern Blanzyopteris praedentata: implications for plant-insect interactions in the Late Carboniferous. Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 141, 133–149. , , and
- 1997. The anatomical diversity of recent and fossil leaves of the durmast oak (Quercus petraea Lieblein/Q. pseudocastanea Goeppert) – implications for their use as biosensors of palaeoatmospheric CO2 levels. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 96, 1–30.
- 1996. Oak leaves as biosensors of late Neogene and early Pleistocene palaeoatmospheric CO2 concentrations. Marine Micropalaeontology, 27, 299–312. , , and
- 2008. The impact of Miocene atmospheric carbon dioxide fluctuations on climate and the evolution of terrestrial ecosystems. PNAS, 105, 449–453. , and
- 1998. Do fossil plants reflect palaeoatmospheric CO2 concentration in the geological past? Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, B, 353, 83–96.
- 1995. Stomatal density and index of fossil plants track atmospheric carbon dioxide in the Palaeozoic. Annals of Botany, 76, 389–395. and
- 1996. The fossil cuticle as a skeletal record of environmental change. Palaios, 11, 376–388. and
- 1999. Fossil plants and global warming at the Triassic–Jurassic boundary. Science, 285, 1386–1390. , and
- 2007. Macroecological responses of terrestrial vegetation to climatic and atmospheric change across the Triassic/Jurassic boundary in East Greenland. Palaeobiology, 33, 547–573. , , , and
- 2009. Fossil plant relative abundances indicate sudden loss of Late Triassic Biodiversity in East Greenland. Science, 324, 1554–1556. , and
- 1966. Fossil Bennettitales from the Ticó flora, Santa Cruz province, Argentina. Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History) Geology, 12, 1–42.
- 1878. Bidrag til Sveriges fossile flora 2. Floran ved Höganäs och Helsingborg (in Swedish). Kungliga Svenska Vetenskaps-Akademiens Handlingar, 16, 1–53.
- 1997. The biology of the Cycads. Cornell University Press, Ithaca, 363 pp. and
- 2005. Gas exchange of Ginkgo biloba leaves at different CO2 concentration levels. Flora, 200, 159–167. and
- 2001. Carbon isotope anamoly and other geochemical changes at the Triassic–Jurassic boundary from a marine section in Hungary. Geology, 29, 1047–1050. , , , , and
- 1989. The morphology and phylogenetic significance of Vardekloeftia (Harris) Bennettitales. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 60, 7–24. , and
- 1990. Changes in N and S Leaf content, Stomatal Density and specific leaf area of 14 plant species during the last three centuries of CO2 increase. Journal of Experimental Botany, 41, 1119–1124. and
- 1999. Bennettitales, Cycadales and Ginkgoales from the mid Cretaceous of the Eromanga Basin, Queensland, Australia. Cretaceous Research, 20, 523–538. and
- 1996. Variations in stomatal density and index: implications for palaeoclimatic reconstructions. Plant, Cell and Environment, 19, 705–712. , , and
- 2007. Cuticular analysis of gymnosperm foliage from the Carnian (Upper Triassic) of Lunz, Lower Austria. University of Munster, Munster, 281 pp.
- 2009. Bennettitalean foliage in the Rhaetian-Bajocian (latest Triassic – Middle Jurassic) floras of Scania, southern Sweden. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 158, 117–166. and
- 2007a. First record of Nilssonopteris (Gymnospermophyta, Bennettitales) from the Carnian (Upper Triassic) of Lunz, Lower Austria. Palaeontology, 50, 1299–1318. , and
- 2007b. Proposal to conserve the name Pterophyllum (fossil Bennettitales) with a conserved type. Taxon, 56, 966–967. , , , and
- 2007c. Revision of the Pterophyllum species (Cycadophyta: Bennettitales) in the Carnian (Late Triassic) flora from Lunz, Lower Austria. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 147, 3–27. , , and
- 2008. High resolution estimates of palaeo-CO2 levels through the Campanian (Late Cretaceous) based on Ginkgo cuticles. Cretaceous Research, 30, 424–428. , , and
- 2001. A 300-million-year record of atmospheric carbon dioxide from fossil plant cuticles. Nature, 411, 287–290.
- 2002. Triassic–Jurassic atmospheric CO2 spike. Nature, 415, 387–388.
- 1985. Effects of SO2 and other air pollutants on the morphology of epicuticular waxes on needles of Pinus strobes and Pinus banksiana. New Phytologist, 99, 555–563. and
- 1999. Effects of environmental stress on leaf hair density and consequences for selection. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 12, 1089–1103. , and
- 2001. Stomatal density and stomatal index as indicators of palaeoatmospheric CO2 concentration. Review of Palaeobotany and Palynology, 114, 1–28.
- 2001. Phanerozoic atmospheric CO2 change: evaluating geochemical and palaeobiological approaches. Earth-Science Reviews, 54, 349–392. , and
- 2005. Correlations of climate and plant ecology to leaf size and shape: potential proxies for the fossil record. American Journal of Botany, 92, 1141–1151. , , , and
- 2008. Sensitivity of leaf size and shape to climate within Acer rubrum and Quercus kelloggii. New Phytologist, 179, 808–817. , , and
- 2010. Astronomical constraints on the duration of the early Jurassic Hettangian stage and recovery rates following the end-Triassic mass extinction (St Audrie’s Bay/East Quantoxhead, UK). Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 295, 262–276. , , , , and
- 1999. A Holocene CO2 record from the stomatal index of subfossil Salix herbacea L. leaves from northern Sweden. The Holocene, 9, 509–513. and
- 2003. Late-glacial and early Holocene variations in atmospheric CO2 concentration indicated by high-resolution stomatal index data. Earth and Planetary Science Letters, 213, 191–204. and
- 1870. Traité de palaeontology végétale. Volume II. Baillière et Fils, Paris, 522 pp.
- 1981. A factor analytic description of the Phanerozoic marine fossil record. Palaeobiology, 7, 36–53.
- Extremely elevated CO2 concentrations at the Triassic/Jurassic boundary. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. , and in press.
- 2003. Variation in Ginkgo biloba L. leaf characters across a climatic gradient in China. PNAS, 100, 7141–7146. , , , , and
- 2001. Stability of atmospheric CO2 levels across the Triassic/Jurassic boundary. Nature, 411, 675–677. , , and
- 2004. Assessing the record and causes of Late Triassic extinctions. Earth-Science Reviews, 65, 103–139. , and
- 2001. Why are sun leaves thicker than shade leaves? Consideration based on analyses of CO2 diffusion in the leaf. Journal of Plant Research, 114, 93–105. , and
- 1913. On the cuticles of some recent and fossil Cycadean fronds. Transactions of the Linnean Society of London: Botany, 8, 155–204. and
- 1991. Jurassic and Cretaceous floras and climates of the Earth. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 318 pp.
- 1998. The functional ecology of shoot architecture in sun and shade plants of Heteromeles arbutifolia M. Roem., a Californian chaparral shrub. Oecologica, 114, 1–10. and
- 2001. Defensive role of leaf trichomes in resistance to herbivorous insects in Datura stramonium. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 14, 424–432. , and
- 1999. The Jurassic flora of Yorkshire. Palaeontological Association field guide to fossils, Vol. 8, Palaeontological Association, London, 134 pp. and
- 2000. Evidence for decoupling of atmospheric CO2 and global climate during the Phanerozoic eon. Nature, 408, 698–701. , and
- 2004. Reproducibility of Holocene atmospheric CO2 records based on stomatal frequency. Quaternary Science Reviews, 23, 1947–1954. , , and
- 2001. Sudden productivity collapse associated with the Triassic-Jurassic Boundary mass extinction. Science, 11, 1148–1151. , , , , and
- 1992. Bennettites of the English Wealden. Palaeontological Society Monographs, 588, 228 pp. and
- 1997. When are leaves good thermometers? A new case for Leaf Margin Analysis. Palaeobiology, 23, 373–390.
- 1987. Leaf Assemblages across the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary in the Raton Basin, New Mexico and Colorado. PNAS, 84, 5096–5100. and
- 1987. Stomatal numbers are sensitive to increases in CO2 from pre-industrial levels. Nature, 327, 617–618.
- 1995. The influence of CO2 concentration on stomatal density. New Phytologist, 131, 311–327.
- 1950. Principles of foliar organization shown by sun-shade leaves from ten species of deciduous dicotyledonous trees. American Journal of Palaeobotany, 38, 354–361.
- 1906. Bassin Houiller et Permien de Blanzy et du Creusot – Fascicule II, Flore fossile. Text. Ministère des Travaux Publics, Paris, 265 pp.