See Pyrocles' first song, “Transformed in show, but more transformed in mind” (OA 28, NA 69). All references are to The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia (The Old Arcadia), ed. Jean Robertson (Oxford, 1973), and Sir Philip Sidney: The Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia (The New Arcadia), ed. Victor Skretkowicz (Oxford, 1987). I am indebted to the British Academy for the support of a Postdoctoral Fellowship held in the English Faculty of the University of Oxford, 1993–1996; to the Principal and Fellows of Linacre College and the President and Fellows of Trinity College, Oxford, for affording me the privileges of commensality during the same period; and to Mr. P. G. Mc. Brown, Dr. T. F. Earle, Dr. H. O'Donoghue, and Prof. Ann Moss respectively for the references to William of Blois, Sá de Miranda, Saxo Grammaticus, and Jacob Moltzer.
“Transformed in Show”: The Rhetoric of Transvestism in Sidney's Arcadia1
Article first published online: 13 NOV 2008
© 1998 English Literary Renaissance, Inc.
English Literary Renaissance
Volume 28, Issue 3, pages 323–352, September 1998
How to Cite
CARVER, R. H. F. (1998), “Transformed in Show”: The Rhetoric of Transvestism in Sidney's Arcadia. English Literary Renaissance, 28: 323–352. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6757.1998.tb00755.x
- Issue published online: 13 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 13 NOV 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!