This research was carried out under contract no. 230-99-0021 with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, with funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and the National Institute of Nursing Research. Additional analysis was supported by grant no. HS09958 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The preparation of this manuscript was supported in part by a Dissemination and Development Grant from Abt Associates Inc. to Dr. Mattke. At the time the research was conducted, Dr. Needleman and Ms. Stewart were at the Harvard School of Public Health and Dr. Mattke was at the Harvard School of Public Health and Abt Associates.
Measuring Hospital Quality: Can Medicare Data Substitute for All-Payer Data?
Article first published online: 18 DEC 2003
Health Services Research
Volume 38, Issue 6p1, pages 1487–1508, December 2003
How to Cite
Needleman, J., Buerhaus, P. I., Mattke, S., Stewart, M. and Zelevinsky, K. (2003), Measuring Hospital Quality: Can Medicare Data Substitute for All-Payer Data?. Health Services Research, 38: 1487–1508. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2003.00189.x
Address correspondence to Jack Needleman, Ph.D., Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, P.O. Box 951772, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1772. Peter I. Buerhaus, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., is the Valere Potter Professor and Senior Associate Dean for Research at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, Nashville, TN. Soeren Mattke, M.D., DS.c, M.P.H., is with RAND Health in Arlington, VA. Maureen Stewart, B.A., is with Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA. Katya Zelevinsky, B.A., is with the Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.
- Issue published online: 18 DEC 2003
- Article first published online: 18 DEC 2003
This article has been cited by:
- 2Adverse event rates as measures of hospital performance, Health Policy, 2012, 104, 2, 146, , ,
- 5Clinical Data Mining for Physician Decision Making and Investigating Health Outcomes, 2010,, ,
- 6Healthcare Epidemiology: Hospital Staffing and Health Care–Associated Infections: A Systematic Review of the Literature, Clinical Infectious Diseases, 2008, 47, 7, 937, , , ,
- 8Discrepancies in administrative databases: Implications for practice and research*, Critical Care Medicine, 2007, 35, 3, 949, , ,
- 9Failure-to-Rescue: Comparing Definitions to Measure Quality of Care, Medical Care, 2007, 45, 10, 913, ,
- 10The Effects of Fraud on the Evaluation of Health Care, Health Care Analysis, 2005, 13, 3, 239,