This research was carried out under contract no. 230-99-0021 with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, with funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and the National Institute of Nursing Research. Additional analysis was supported by grant no. HS09958 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. The preparation of this manuscript was supported in part by a Dissemination and Development Grant from Abt Associates Inc. to Dr. Mattke. At the time the research was conducted, Dr. Needleman and Ms. Stewart were at the Harvard School of Public Health and Dr. Mattke was at the Harvard School of Public Health and Abt Associates.
Measuring Hospital Quality: Can Medicare Data Substitute for All-Payer Data?
Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2003
Health Services Research
Volume 38, Issue 6p1, pages 1487–1508, December 2003
How to Cite
Needleman, J., Buerhaus, P. I., Mattke, S., Stewart, M. and Zelevinsky, K. (2003), Measuring Hospital Quality: Can Medicare Data Substitute for All-Payer Data?. Health Services Research, 38: 1487–1508. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2003.00189.x
Address correspondence to Jack Needleman, Ph.D., Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, P.O. Box 951772, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1772. Peter I. Buerhaus, Ph.D., R.N., F.A.A.N., is the Valere Potter Professor and Senior Associate Dean for Research at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, Nashville, TN. Soeren Mattke, M.D., DS.c, M.P.H., is with RAND Health in Arlington, VA. Maureen Stewart, B.A., is with Heller School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA. Katya Zelevinsky, B.A., is with the Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston.
- Issue online: 18 DEC 2003
- Version of Record online: 18 DEC 2003
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!