Address correspondence to Embry M. Howell, Ph.D., The Urban Institute, 2100 M St., N.W. Washington, DC 20037. Christopher Trenholm, Ph.D., is with the Mathematica Policy Research Inc., Princeton, NJ.
The Effect of New Insurance Coverage on the Health Status of Low-Income Children in Santa Clara County
Article first published online: 29 SEP 2006
Health Services Research
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 867–889, April 2007
How to Cite
Howell, E. M. and Trenholm, C. (2007), The Effect of New Insurance Coverage on the Health Status of Low-Income Children in Santa Clara County. Health Services Research, 42: 867–889. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00625.x
- Issue published online: 29 SEP 2006
- Article first published online: 29 SEP 2006
- American Academy of Pediatrics. 2005. “Functional Outcomes Project: How Are Functional Outcome Measures Developed?” [accessed on June 29, 2005]. Available at http://www.aap.org/research/devoutcome.htm
- 1989. “Mind, Body, and Culture: Somatization among Hispanics. Social Science and Medicine 28 (12): 1229–38. , and .
- 2001. “Lack of Health Insurance and Decline in Overall Health in Late Middle Age. New England Journal of Medicine 345 (15): 1106–12. , , , , and .
- 1983. “Special Article: Does Free Care Improve Adults' Health? Results from a Randomized Controlled Trial. New England Journal of Medicine 309 (23): 1426–34. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Children's Insurance Coverage Increases as Result of Public Program Expansion. Los Angeles: University of California, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. , and .
- 2004. Health Insurance Coverage: Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2003.” Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm , and .
- 2003. “SCHIP Making Progress: Increased Take–Up Contributes to Coverage Gains. Health Affairs 22 (4): 163–72.
- 1996. “Health Insurance Eligibility, Utilization of Medical Care, and Child Health. Quarterly Journal of Economics 111 (2): 431–66. , and .
- 2003. “The Impact of the Iowa S–SCHIP Program on Access, Health Status, and the Family Environment. Ambulatory Pediatrics 3 (5): 263–9. , , , and .
- 1981. Measuring Health Perceptions in the Health Insurance Experiment (Pub. No. R-2711-HHS). Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. , and .
- 2004. U.S. Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, P60–226, Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2003. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. , , and .
- 2005. “Predicting Mortality and Healthcare Utilizatoin with a Single Question. Health Services Research 40 (4): 1235–46. , , , and .
- 2004. “SCHIP's Impact in Three States: How Do the Most Vulnerable Children Fare? Health Affairs 23 (5): 63–76. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. “Validating Measures of Pediatric Health Status, Functional Status, and Health-Related Quality of Life: Key Methodological Challenges and Struggles. Ambulatory Pediatrics 4 (4 suppl): 358–64.
- 2003. “Keeping Children Out of Hospitals: Parents' and Physicians' Perspectives on How Pediatric Hospitalizations for Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Conditions Can Be Avoided. Pediatrics 112 (5): 1021–30. , , , and .
- 2003. “Changes in Reported Health Status and Unmet Need for Children Enrolling in the Kansas Children's Health Program. American Journal of Public Health 93 (4): 579–82. , , , and .
- 2003. “Sicker and Poorer—The Consequences of Being Uninsured: A Review of the Research on the Relationship between Health Insurance, Medical Care Use, Health, Work, and Income. Medical Care Research and Review 60 (2): 3S–75S.
- 2000. “Evaluation of New York State's Child Health Plus: Access, Utilization, Quality of Health Care, and Health Status. Pediatrics 105 (3): 711–7. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “Reducing Health Disparities among Children.”Health Insurance for Children, The Future of Children 13 (1): 153–67. , and .
- 1997. “Self-Rated Health and Mortality: A Review of Twenty–Seven Community Studies. Journal of Health and Social Behavior 38: 21–37. , and .
- 2001. “Medicaid Eligibility and the Incidence of Ambulatory Care Sensitive Hospitalizations for Children. Social Science and Medicine 52: 305–13. , , and .
- 1985. “How Free Care Reduced Hypertension in the Health Insurance Experiment. Journal of the American Medical Association 254 (14): 1926–31. , , , , and .
- 2004. “The State Children's Health Insurance Program: Successes, Shortcomings, and Challenges. Health Affairs 23 (5): 51–62. , and .
- 2005. “The Experiences of SCHIP Enrollees and Disenrollees in Ten States: Findings from the Congressionally Mandated SCHIP Evaluation. Final Report. Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. and The Urban Institute. Princeton, N.J. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. “Mortality of White Americans, African Americans, and Canadians: The Causes and Consequences for Health of Welfare State Institutions and Policies. Milbank Quarterly 83 (1): 5–39. , and .
- 1998. “Impact of a Children's Health Insurance Program on Newly Enrolled Children. Journal of the American Medical Association 279 (22): 1820–25. , , , , , and .
- 2001. “What Do We Really Know about Whether Health Insurance Affects Health?” Economic Research Initiative on the Uninsured Working Paper Series Working Paper 6, Available at http://www.umich.edu/~eriu/research/levy.html. University of Michigan , and .
- 1984. “Termination from Medi–Cal — Does It Affect Health? New England Journal of Medicine 311 (7): 480–4. , , , and .
- 1986. “Termination of Medi-Cal Benefits: A Follow-Up Study One Year Later. New England Journal of Medicine 314 (19): 1266–8. , , , , and .
- 1998. “A New Definition of Children with Special Care Needs. Pediatrics 102 (1): 137–40. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “Functional Disability and School Activity Limitations in 41,300 School-Aged Children: Relationship to Medical Impairments. Pediatrics 111 (3): 548–53. , , , , , and .
- and The Insurance Experiment Group. 1993. Free for All? Lessons from the RAND Health Insurance Experiment. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. ,
- 2004. “Measuring Health Status and Quality of Life for US Children: Relationship to Race, Ethnicity, and Income Status. Ambulatory Pediatrics 4 (4): 377–86. , , and .
- 1996. “Measuring the Need for Medical Care in an Ethnically Diverse Population. Health Services Research 31 (5): 551–71. , , , , and .
- 1995. “How Well They Remember: The Accuracy of Parent Reports. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 149 (5): 553–8. , and .
- 2001. “Differential Impact of Recent Medicaid Expansions by Race and Ethnicity. Pediatrics 108 (5): 1135–42. , , , and .
- SAS Institute. 1999. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 8. Cary, NC: SAS Publishing.
- 1996. “Self-Rated Health among Hispanics vs Non-Hispanic White Adults: The San Luis Valley Health and Aging Study. American Journal of Public Health 86 (12): 1798–801. , , , and .
- 2002. “Health Status Assessment Project—First Year Results.” Data Insights. No. 10: Children's Health Assessment Project. [accessed on July 8, 2005]. Available at http://www.mrmib.ca.gov/MRMIB/HFP/PedsQLYr2CHHS.pdf , , , and .
- 2001. “Shortening the Questionnaire for Identifying Children with Chronic Conditions: What Is the Consequence?” Pediatrics 107 (4): 1–5. , , and .
- 2004. “Improved Access and Quality of Care after Enrollment in the New York State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). Pediatrics 113 (5): e395–404. , , , , , and .
- 2000. “Evaluation of a State Children Health Insurance Program for Low-Income Children: Implications for State Child Health Insurance Programs. Pediatrics 105 (3): 363–71. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. “Toward Youth Self-Report of Health and Quality of Life in Population Monitoring. Ambulatory Pediatrics 4 (4): 387–94. , , and .
- 2005. “Santa Clara Healthy Kids Program: Impacts on Children's Medical, Dental, and Vision Care.” Final Report, Evaluation of the Santa Clara County Children's Health Initiative, Mathematica Policy Research, Inc. , , , and .
- 2002. “The National Survey of Children with Special Health Care Needs. Ambulatory Pediatrics 2 (1): 29–37. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “The PedsQL 4.0 as a Pediatric Population Health Measure: Feasibility, Reliability, and Validity. Ambulatory Pediatrics 3: 329–41. , , , and .
- 2003. “Developing Concise Measures of Childhood Activity Limitations. Maternal and Child Health Journal 7 (2): 115–26. , and .
- 1998. “Implications for Estimates of Disability in Children: A Comparison of Definitional Components. Pediatrics 101 (6): 1025–30. , , and .