Address correspondence to Elizabeth H. Bradley, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University School of Medicine, 60 College Street, New Haven, CT 06520-8034. Leslie A. Curry, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Medicine, is with the University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT. Kelly J. Devers, Ph.D., Associate Professor, is with the Departments of Health Administration and Family Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA.
Qualitative Data Analysis for Health Services Research: Developing Taxonomy, Themes, and Theory
Article first published online: 24 JAN 2007
Health Services Research
Volume 42, Issue 4, pages 1758–1772, August 2007
How to Cite
Bradley, E. H., Curry, L. A. and Devers, K. J. (2007), Qualitative Data Analysis for Health Services Research: Developing Taxonomy, Themes, and Theory. Health Services Research, 42: 1758–1772. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00684.x
- Issue published online: 24 JAN 2007
- Article first published online: 24 JAN 2007
- 1996. “Recasting the ‘Ethno’ in ‘Ethnoepidemiology’. Medical Anthropology 16: 391–403.
- 1995. “Revisiting the Behavioral Model and Access to Medical Care: Does It Matter? Journal of Health and Social Behavior 36 (1): 1–10.
- 1999. “A Taxonomy of Health Networks and Systems: Bringing Order Out of Chaos. Health Services Research 33 (6): 1683–717. , , , , and .
- 1998. “A Taxonomy for Goal Setting in the Care of Persons with Dementia. Journal of General Internal Medicine 13 (10): 675–80. ., , and .
- 1998. Transforming Qualitative Information: Thematic and Code Development. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2005. “From Adversary to Partner: Have Quality Improvement Organizations Made the Transition? Health Services Research 40 (2): 459–76. , , , , , and .
- 2001. “A Qualitative Study of Increasing Beta-Blocker Use after Myocardial Infarction: Why Do Some Hospitals Succeed? Journal of the American Medical Association 285 (20): 2604–11. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Mapping Social Relations: A Primer in Doing Institutional Ethnography. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press. , and .
- 1999. Doing Qualitative Research, 2d Edition. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 2004. “Exploring the Organizational Culture of Exemplary Community Health Center Practices. Family Medicine 36 (10): 733–8. ., and .
- 2003. Qualitative, Quantitative and Mixed Methods Approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2005. “Implementing an Electronic Medical Record in a Family Medicine Practice: Communication, Decision Making, and Conflict. Annals of Family Medicine 3 (4): 307–11. , , , , and .
- 1978. The Research Act: A Theoretical Introduction to Sociological Methods, 2d Edition. New York: McGraw Hill.
- 1999. “How Will We Know ‘Good’ Qualitative Research When We See It? Beginning the Dialogue in Health Services Research. Health Services Research 34 (5, part 2): 1153–88.
- 2003. “Hospitals' Negotiating Leverage with Health Plans: How and Why Has It Changed? Health Services Research 38 (1, part 2): 419–46. , , , , , and .
- 2000. “Study Design in Qualitative Research—2: Sampling and Data Collection Strategies. Education for Health 13 (2): 263–71. , and .
- 2002. “Managing Indigent Care: A Case Study of a Safety-Net Emergency Department. Health Services Research 37 (2): 361–76.
- 1969. Theory Building. New York: Free Press.
- 2005. “Critical Pathway Effectiveness: Assessing the Impact of Patient, Hospital Care, and Pathway Characteristics Using Qualitative Comparative Analysis. Health Services Research 40 (2): 499–516. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Strategies for Interpreting Qualitative Data. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2002. “Relationships between Physician Practice Style, Patient Satisfaction, and Attributes of Primary Care. Journal of Family Practice 51 (10): 835–40. , , and .
- 2003. “Patients' and Physicians' Attitudes Regarding the Disclosure of Medical Errors. Journal of the American Medical Association 289 (8): 1001–7. , , , , and .
- 2000. “Users' Guides to the Medical Literature: XXIII. Qualitative Research in Health Care A. Are the Results of the Study Valid? Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Journal of the American Medical Association 284 (3): 357–62. , and .
- 1993. “Conceptualizing and Measuring Integration: Findings from the Health Systems Integration Study. Hospital and Health Services Administration 38 (4): 467–89. , , , , and .
- 1992. Emergence V Forcing Basics of Grounded Theory Analysis. Mill Valley, CA: Sociology Press.
- 1967. The Discovery of Grounded Research: Strategies for Qualitative Research. New York: Aldine De Gruyter. , and .
- 1997. “Papers That Go Beyond Numbers (Qualitative Research). British Medical Journal 315 (7110): 740–3. , and .
- 1997. The New Language of Qualitative Method. New York: Oxford University Press. , and .
- 2004. “Developing a Grounded Theory Approach: A Comparison of Glaser and Strauss. International Journal of Nursing Studies 41 (2): 141–50. , and .
- 2003. “The Choreography of Qualitative Research: Minuets, Improvisations, and Crystallization.” In Strategies of Qualitative Inquiry, edited by N.Denzin and Y. S.Lincoln, pp. 46–79. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 1964. The Conduct of Inquiry. New York: Harper and Row.
- 2002. “Thrombolysis for Acute Ischaemic Stroke: Consumer Involvement in Design of New Randomised Controlled Trial. British Medical Journal 325 (7361): 415–7. , and .
- 2000. Focus Groups: A Practical Guide for Applied Research, 3d Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1985. Naturalistic Inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1971. Analyzing Social Settings: A Guide to Qualitative Observation and Analysis. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
- 2003. “Managing Change in the Culture of General Practice: Qualitative Case Studies in Primary Care Trusts. British Medical Journal 327 (7415): 599–602. , , , and .
- 1995. “Rigour and Qualitative Research. British Medical Journal 311 (6997): 109–12. , and .
- 1988. The Long Interview. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- 1967. On Theoretical Sociology. New York: Free Press.
- 1994. Qualitative Data Analysis: A Sourcebook of New Methods. 2d Edition. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1997. Focus Groups as Qualitative Research, 2d Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 1994. “Designing Funded Qualitative Research.” In BookDesigning Funded Qualitative Research, edited by N.Denzin and Y. S.Lincoln, pp. 220–35. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 1999. “Qualitative Methods: The State of the Art. Qualitative Health Research 9 (3): 393–406.
- 2002. Readme First for a User's Guide to Qualitative Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1999. “Enhancing the Quality and Credibility of Qualitative Analysis. Health Services Research 34: 1189–208.
- 2002. Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, 3d Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2000. “Qualitative Research in Health Care. Analysing Qualitative Data. British Medical Journal 320 (7227): 114–6. , , and .
- 2005. Finding Culture in Talk. New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- 1987. The Comparative Method: Moving Beyond Qualitative and Quantitative Strategies. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- 1999. “Using Qualitative Comparative Analysis to Study Causal Complexity. Health Services Research 34 (5, part 2): 1225–39.
- 2003. “Techniques to Identify Themes. Field Methods 15 (1): 85–109. , and .
- 2001. “The Role of Performance Measures for Improving Quality in Managed Care Organizations. Health Services Research 36 (3): 619–41. , , , and .
- 1999. “The Emergence of Qualitative Methods in Health Services Research. Health Services Research 34 (5, part 2): 1083–90.
- 2003. “Double Engaged Social Science.” In BookDouble Engaged Social Science, edited by J.Mahoney and D.Rueschemeyer, pp. 407–28. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- 2006. “Parent-Identified Barriers to Pediatric Health Care: A Process-Oriented Model. Health Services Research 41 (1): 148–72. , , and .
- 1999. “Qualitative Methods: What Are They and Why Use Them? Health Services Research 34 (5, part 2): 1101–18.
- 1980. Participant Observation. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- 2002. “Qualitative Study of Evidence Based Leaflets in Maternity Care. British Medical Journal 324 (7338): 639–43. , , and .
- 1990. Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1998. Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. , and .
- 1990. “Toward New Typologies for HMOs. Milbank Quarterly 68 (2): 221–43. , , and .
- 2000. “Dilemmas in Qualitative Health Research. Psychology and Health 15: 215–28.
- 1994. Case Study Research: Design and Methods, 2d Edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.