Address correspondence to Sara Singer, M.B.A., Ph.D., Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Kresge 3-336, Boston, MA 02115; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Shoutzu Lin and Alyson Falwell are with the Center for Health Policy/Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. David Gaba, M.D., is with the Patient Safety Culture Institute, VA Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA. Laurence Baker, Ph.D., is with the Department of Health Research and Policy, Stanford University, Stanford, CA.
Relationship of Safety Climate and Safety Performance in Hospitals
Article first published online: 4 NOV 2008
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 44, Issue 2p1, pages 399–421, April 2009
How to Cite
Singer, S., Lin, S., Falwell, A., Gaba, D. and Baker, L. (2009), Relationship of Safety Climate and Safety Performance in Hospitals. Health Services Research, 44: 399–421. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2008.00918.x
- Issue published online: 12 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 4 NOV 2008
- 1997. “Response Rates to Mail Surveys Published in Medical Journals. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 50 (10): 1129–36. , , and .
- 1999. ““Tribal Warfare” and Gaps Affecting Internal Service Quality. International Journal of Service Industry Management 10 (1): 7–22. , and .
- 2001. “Developing and Deploying a Patient Safety Program in a Large Health Care Delivery System: You Can't Fix What You Don't Know About. Joint Commission Journal on Quality Improvement 27 (10): 522–32. , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. “Do the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators Flag Conditions That Are Present at the Time of Hospital Admission? Medical Care 46 (5): 516–22. , , , , and .
- 2006. “Relationships among Teams, Culture, Safety, and Cost Outcomes. Western Journal of Nursing Research 28 (6): 641–53.
- 1959. “Convergent and Discriminant Validity by the Multitrait–Multimethod Matrix. Psychological Bulletin 56: 81–105. , and .
- 1996. “Keys for Successful Implementation of Total Quality Management in Hospitals. Health Care Management Review 21 (1): 48–60. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. “The Relationship between Safety Climate and Safety Performance: A Meta-Analytic Review. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 11 (4): 315–27.
- 2002. “Organizational Climate, Staffing, and Safety Equipment as Predictors of Needlestick Injuries and Near-Misses in Hospital Nurses. American Journal of Infection Control 30 (4): 207–16. , , , and .
- 2008. “Differences in Safety Climate among Hospital Anesthesia Departments and the Effect of a Realistic Simulation-Based Training Program. Anesthesia and Analgesia 106 (2): 574–84. , , , , , , , and .
- 1999. “Psychological Safety and Learning Behavior in Work Teams. Administrative Science Quarterly 44 (2): 350–83.
- 2001. “Disrupted Routines: Team Learning and New Technology Implementation in Hospitals. Administrative Science Quarterly 46 (4): 685–716. , , and .
- 2007. “Measuring Safety Culture in Healthcare: A Case for Accurate Diagnosis. Safety Science 45: 653–67.
- 2007. “Safety Culture: Is the ‘Unit’ the Right ‘Unit of Analysis’? Critical Care Medicine 35 (1): 314–16. , , and .
- 2005. “An Educational Intervention to Enhance Nurse Leaders' Perceptions of Patient Safety Culture. Health Services Research 40 (4): 997–1020. , , , and .
- 2000. “Perceptions of Safety at Work: A Framework for Linking Safety Climate to Safety Performance, Knowledge, and Motivation. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 5 (3): 347–58. , and .
- 1991. Whose Science? Whose Knowledge? Thinking from Women's Lives. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.
- 2003. “Psychometric Properties of the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Study (CAHPS) 2.0 Adult Core Survey. Health Services Research 38 (6): 1509–27. , , and .
- 1983. “The Feminist Standpoint: Developing the Ground for a Specifically Feminist Historical Materialism.” In Discovering Reality: Feminist Perspectives on Epistemology, Metaphysics, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, edited by S.Harding and M.Hintikka, pp. 283–310. Boston: D. Reidel.
- 2006. “An Investigation of the Relationship between Safety Climate and Medication Errors as Well as Other Nurse and Patient Outcomes. Personnel Psychology 59 (4): 847–69. , and .
- Institute of Medicine. 2001. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Institute of Medicine. 2006. Preventing Medication Errors. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- 2005. “In a Mailed Physician Survey, Questionnaire Length Had a Threshold Effect on Response Rate. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 58 (1): 103–5. , , , and .
- 2005. “Safety Climate in Healthcare Organizations: A Multidimensional Approach. Academy of Management Journal 48 (6): 1075–89. , , and .
- 1992. Corporate Culture and Performance. New York: Free Press. , and .
- 1997. “The Road to ‘Root Cause’: Shop-Floor Problem-Solving at Three Auto Assembly Plants. Management Science 43 (4): 479–502.
- 2006. “CCHSA Client/Patient Safety Culture Assessment Project: Lessons Learned. Healthcare Quarterly 9 (2): 52–4.
- 2006. “A Study of the Lagged Relationships among Safety Climate, Safety Motivation, Safety Behavior, and Accidents at the Individual and Group Levels. Journal of Applied Psychology 91 (4): 946–53. , and .
- 2005. “Safer Patients Initiative—Transforming Safety Culture for Lasting Safety Improvement” [accessed on December 22, 2006, 2005]. Available at http://www.saferhealthcare.org.uk/IHI/Topics/SafetyCulture/CaseStudies/saferpatientsinitiative.html
- PSI Composite Measure Workgroup. 2006. AHRQ Quality Indicators Patient Safety Indicator Composite Measure: Draft Technical Report. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- PSI Composite Measure Workgroup. 2008. AHRQ Quality Indicators Patient Safety Indicator Composite Measure: Workgroup Final Report. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- Quality Indicators-II Support Team. 2003. AHRQ Quality Indicators Guide to Patient Safety Indicators Version 3.1 (March 12, 2007). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
- 2000. “Human Error: Models and Management. British Medical Journal 320 (7237): 768–70.
- 2006. “Enhancing Patient Safety through Organizational Learning: Are Patient Safety Indicators a Step in the Right Direction? Health Services Research 41 (4, part 2): 1633–53. , , and .
- 1990. “Some Characteristics of One Type of High Reliability Organization. Organization Science 1 (2): 160–77.
- 1992. Organizational Culture and Leadership. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- 2008. “Hospital Patient Safety Climate: Variation by Management Level. Medical Care 46 (11): 1149–56. , , , and .
- Patient Safety Climate in 92 US Hospitals: Differences by Work Area and Discipline. Medical Care, forthcoming. , , , , , and .
- 2003. “The Culture of Safety in California Hospitals. Quality and Safety in Health Care 12 (2): 112–18. , , , , , and .
- 2007. “Workforce Perceptions of Hospital Safety Culture: Development and Validation of the Patient Safety Climate in Healthcare Organizations Survey. Health Services Research 42 (5): 1999–2021. , , , , , and .
- 2006. “Assessing Patient Safety Culture: A Review and Synthesis of the Measurement Tools. Journal of Patient Safety 2 (3): 105–15. , , , and .
- 2006. “Nurse Work Environments and Occupational Safety in Intensive Care Units. Policy, Politics and Nursing Practice 7 (4): 240–7. , and .
- 1983. Using Multivariate Statistics. New York: Harper & Row. , and .
- 2003. “Discrepant Attitudes about TeamWork among Critical Care Nurses and Physicians. Critical Care Medicine 31 (3): 956–9. , , and .
- 2003. “Measuring Errors and Adverse Events in Health Care. Journal of General Internal Medicine 18 (1): 61–7. , and .
- 2004. “The Impact of Operational Failures on Hospital Nurses and Their Patients. Journal of Operations Management 22 (2): 151–67.
- 1997. “Winning through Innovation. Strategy and Leadership 25 (4): 14–19.
- 1996. The Challenger Launch Decision: Risky Technology, Culture, and Deviance at NASA. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- 2007. “The Impact of Safety Organizing, Trusted Leadership, and Care Pathways on Reported Medication Errors in Hospital Nursing Units. Medical Care 45 (10): 997–1002. , and .
- 2001. Managing the Unexpected: Assuring High Performance in an Age of Complexity. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , and .
- 2006. “Quality Improvement Implementation and Hospital Performance on Patient Safety Indicators. Medical Care Research and Review 63 (1): 29–57. , , , , and .
- 2004. “Using a Multihospital Survey to Examine the Safety Culture. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety 30 (3): 125–32. , , , and .
- 1980. “Safety Climate in Industrial Organizations: Theoretical and Applied Implications. Journal of Applied Psychology 65 (1): 96–102.