Address correspondence to Latha P. Palaniappan, M.D., M.S., Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute (PAMFRI), 795 El Camino Real, Ames Building, Palo Alto, CA 94301; e-mail: email@example.com. Eric Wong, M.S., and Jessica Shin, B.A., are at Palo Alto Medical Foundation Research Institute (PAMFRI), Palo Alto, CA. Maria R. Moreno, M.P.H., is with Sutter Health Institute for Research and Education (SHIRE), San Francisco, CA. Regina Otero-Sabogal, Ph.D., is with University of California, San Francisco, Institute for Health and Aging, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences School of Nursing, San Francisco, CA.
Collecting Patient Race/Ethnicity and Primary Language Data in Ambulatory Care Settings: A Case Study in Methodology
Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 44, Issue 5p1, pages 1750–1761, October 2009
How to Cite
Palaniappan, L. P., Wong, E. C., Shin, J. J., Moreno, M. R. and Otero-Sabogal, R. (2009), Collecting Patient Race/Ethnicity and Primary Language Data in Ambulatory Care Settings: A Case Study in Methodology. Health Services Research, 44: 1750–1761. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2009.00992.x
- Issue online: 1 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 23 JUN 2009
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. 2007. National Healthcare Disparities Report, 2007. Rockville, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. AHRQ Pub. No. 08-0041.
- 2006. “A System for Rapidly and Accurately Collecting Patients' Race and Ethnicity. American Journal of Public Health 96 (3): 532–7. , , , , , , , and .
- 1994. “The Reliability of Racial Classifications in Hospital Discharge Abstract Data. American Journal of Public Health 84: 1018–21.
- 2008. Cancer Incidence and Mortality in the Greater Bay Area, 1988–2005. Fremont, CA: Northern California Cancer Center. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “Hospital Policy and Practice Regarding the Collection of Data on Race, Ethnicity, and Birthplace. American Journal of Public Health 93 (10): 1685–88. , , , , and .
- 2004. Who, When, and How: The Current State of Race, Ethnicity, and Primary Language Data Collection in Hospitals. New York: The Commonwealth Fund. , , and .
- 2005. “Taking on Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care: The Experience at Aetna. Health Affairs 24 (2): 417–20.
- 2005. “Sex and Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Outcomes after Acute Myocardial Infarction: A Cohort Study among Members of a Large Integrated Health Care Delivery System in Northern California. Archives of Internal Medicine 165 (18): 2105–13. , , , , , , , and .
- Johnson, C. H., and M.Adamo. (eds). 2007. SEER Program Coding and Staging Manual, 2007. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute. NIH Pub. No. 07-5581.
- 2003. “Agreement between Administrative Data and Patients' Self-Reports of Race/Ethnicity. American Journal of Public Health 93 (10): 1734–39. , , , and .
- 2000. “Asian American Ethnic Identification by Surname. Population Research and Policy Review 19 (3): 283–300. , and .
- 1994. “Comparisons of the Costs and Quality of Norms for the SF-36 Health Survey Collected by Mail versus Telephone Interview: Results from a National Survey. Medical Care 32 (6): 551–67. , , and .
- 2004. “Surveying Minorities with Limited-English Proficiency: Does Data Collection Method Affect Data Quality among Asian Americans? Medical Care 42 (9): 893–900. , , , , and .
- OSHPD. 2005. “ ‘Sample’ Emergency Department and Ambulatory Surgery Race/Ethnicity Form” [accessed on February 10, 2009]. Available at http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/HID/MIRCal/Text_pdfs/ManualsGuides/EDASRaceEthnicity.pdf.
- OSHPD. 2008. “Present on Admission and Principal Language Spoken Regulations.”Patient Data Reporting Requirements. Title 22, Division 7, Chapter 10, Article 8.
- 2008. “Positive Predictive Values of Name Lists to Identify Persons of Asian Descent in a Clinical Population in Northern California. Circulation 117 (11): e198–291. , , , and .
- 2003. “Statewide Special Election” [accessed on 2003]. Available at http://vote2003.sos.ca.gov/Returns/prop/00.htm.
- 2003. Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Washington, DC: National Academies Press. , , and .
- 1995. “The Swedish SF-36 Health Survey–I. Evaluation of Data Quality, Scaling Assumptions, Reliability and Construct Validity across General Populations in Sweden. Social Science & Medicine 41 (10): 1349–58. , , and .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000a. “Census 2000 Long Form Questionnaire.” Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Commerce.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000b. “Summary File 3, PCT10. Age by Language Spoken at Home for the Population 5 Years and over.” U.S. Census Bureau.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000c. “Summary File 4 Ancestry Code List.”Census 2000.
- 1996. “Building a Spanish Surname List for the 1990's—A New Approach to an Old Problem. Population Division Working Paper Series, pp. 1–25. Washington, DC: U.S. Census Bureau. , and .