Address correspondence to Jessica N. Mittler, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Health Policy and Administration, The Pennsylvania State University, 604 Ford Building, University Park, PA 16802; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bruce E. Landon, M.D., M.B.A., M.Sc., Associate Professor of Health Care Policy and Medicine, is with the Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA. Elliot S. Fisher, M.D., M.P.H., Director, The Center for Health Policy Research, Professor of Medicine and Community and Family Medicine, is with the Dartmouth Medical School, Center for Health Policy Research, Lebanon, NH. Paul D. Cleary, Ph.D., Dean of Public Health, Chair, Epidemiology and Public Health, Anna M.R. Lauder, Professor of Public Health, is with the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT. Alan M. Zaslavsky, Ph.D., Professor of Health Care Policy, is with the Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Market Variations in Intensity of Medicare Service Use and Beneficiary Experiences with Care
Version of Record online: 6 APR 2010
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 45, Issue 3, pages 647–669, June 2010
How to Cite
Mittler, J. N., Landon, B. E., Fisher, E. S., Cleary, P. D. and Zaslavsky, A. M. (2010), Market Variations in Intensity of Medicare Service Use and Beneficiary Experiences with Care. Health Services Research, 45: 647–669. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01108.x
- Issue online: 3 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 6 APR 2010
- 2009. “How Much Do Patients' Preferences Contribute to Resource Use? Health Affairs 28 (3): 864–73. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. “The Effect of Benefits, Premiums, and Health Risk on Health Plan Choice in the Medicare Program. Health Services Research 39 (4, part I): 847–64. , , and .
- 2004. “Medicare Spending, the Physician Workforce, and Beneficiaries' Quality of Care. Health Affairs W4: W184–97 Web Exclusive. , and .
- 1998. “Understanding the Managed Care Backlash. Health Affairs 17 (4): 80–94. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. “What Drives Medicare Managed Care Growth? Health Affairs 18 (6): 140–9. , and .
- Congressional Budget Office (CBO). 2008. Geographic Variation in Health Care Spending. Washington, DC: Congressional Budget Office.
- 2009. “Medicare: The Place to Start Delivery System Reform. Health Affairs 2009 (28): w232–4.
- 1988. “Involving Consumers in Quality of Care Assessment. Health Affairs 7 (1): 33–48. , and .
- 2009. “Fostering Accountable Health Care: Moving Forward in Medicare. Health Affairs 28 (2): w219–31. , , , , , , and .
- 2003a. “The Implications of Regional Variations in Medicare Spending, Part 1: The Content, Quality, and Accessibility of Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 138 (4): 273–88. , , , , , and .
- 2003b. “The Implications of Regional Variations in Medicare Spending, Part 2: Health Outcomes and Satisfaction with Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 138 (4): 288–99.
- 2008. “Relationship between Regional Per Capita Medicare Expenditures and Patient Perceptions of Quality of Care. Journal of the American Medical Association 299 (20): 2406–12. , , , , and .
- 2005. “Private Plans in Medicare: Another Look. Health Affairs 24 (5): 1302–10.
- 2004. Monitoring Medicare+Choice: What Have We Learned? Findings and Operational Lessons for Medicare Advantage. Washington, DC: Mathematica Policy Research. , , , and .
- 2001. “Medicare Managed Care CAHPS®: A Tool for Performance Improvement. Health Care Financing Review 22: 101–7. , , , , and .
- 2003. “Psychometric Properties of the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Study (CAHPS®) 2.0 Adult Core Survey. Health Services Research 38 (6, part 1): 1509–27. , , and .
- 2008a. “Medicare, Graduate Medical Education, and New Policy Directions. New England Journal of Medicine 359 (6): 643–50.
- 2008b. “No Place Like Home—Testing a New Model of Care Delivery. New England Journal of Medicine 359 (12): 1200–2.
- Institute of Medicine (IOM). 2001. Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Report Brief. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- 2000. “The Quality of Medical Care Delivered to Medicare Beneficiaries: A Profile at State and National Levels. Journal of the American Medical Association 284 (13): 1670–6. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. “Change in the Quality of Medical Care Delivered to Medicare Beneficiaries, 1998–1999 to 2000–2001. Journal of the American Medical Association 289 (3): 305–12. , , and .
- Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF). 2009. “Medicare Health and Prescription Drug Plan Tracker” [accessed July 22, 2009]. Available at http://www.kff.org/medicare/healthplantracker
- 2004. “A National Comparison of the Performance of Traditional Medicare and Medicare Managed Care. Journal of the American Medical Association 291 (14): 1744–52. , , , , and .
- 2009. “Payment Reform Options: Episode Payment Is a Good Place to Start. Health Affairs 28: w262–71. , and .
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). 2001. “Bringing Medicare+Choice to Rural America.” In Report to Congress: Medicare in Rural America, pp. 115–23. Washington, DC: MedPAC.
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC). 2008. Private FFS Plans in Medicare Advantage. Testimony of Mark Miller, Executive Director MedPAC, before the Committee on Finance, U.S. Senate, January 30.
- 2009. “Health Care Spending Disparities Stir a Fight.”The New York Times, June 9.
- Research Triangle International (RTI) and RAND. 2005. Implementation of Medicare CAHPS®FFS Survey. Final Report for the 2003 Survey [accessed March 1, 2010]. Available at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CAHPS/Downloads/03_2003FFSCAHPSDataCollectionMethodsRPT.pdf
- 2001. “The End of Managed Care. Journal of the American Medical Association 285 (20): 2622–8.
- 1999. “Special Issues Addressed in the CAHPS® Survey of Medicare Managed Care Beneficiaries. Medical Care 37 (3, suppl): 69–78. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. “Variation in the Tendency of Primary Care Physicians to Intervene. Archives of Internal Medicine 165 (19): 2252–6. , , , and .
- 2006. “Regional Variations in Health Care Intensity and Physician Perceptions of Quality of Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 144 (9): 641–6.
- 2008. The Structure and Costs of the Medicare Advantage Program. Testimony of the Acting Administration Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services before the House Ways & Means Subcommittee on Health, February 28.
- 1996. The Quality of Medical Care in the United States: A Report on the Medicare Program. The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care in the United States. Chicago: American Health Association Press. , and .
- 1999. The Quality of Medical Care in the United States: A Report on the Medicare Program. The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care in the United States. Chicago: American Health Association Press.
- 1973. “Small Area Variations in Health Care Delivery. Science 182: 1102–8. , and .
- 2009. “The Policies and Politics of Creating a Comparative Clinical Effectiveness Research Center. Health Affairs 28 (4): w719–29.
- 2001. “Statistical Issues in Reporting Quality Data: Small Samples and Case Mix Variation. International Journal of Quality in Health Care 13 (6): 481–8.
- 2000a. “Dimensions of Consumer-Assessed Quality of Medicare Managed Care Health Plans. Medical Care 38 (2): 162–74. , , , and .
- 2001. “Adjusting Performance Measures to Ensure Equitable Plan Comparisons. Health Care Financing Review 22 (3): 109–26. , , , , , and .
- 2002. “Dimensions of Plan Performance for Sick and Healthy Members on the Consumer Assessments of Health Plans Study 2.0 Survey. Medical Care 40 (10): 951–64. , and .
- 2000b. “How Consumer Assessments of Managed Care Vary within and among Markets. Inquiry 37 (2): 146–61. , , , and .
- 2002. “Combining Health Plan Performance Indicators into Simpler Composite Measures. Health Care Financing Review 23 (4): 101–15. , , , , and .
- 2000c. “Does the Effect of Respondent Characteristics on Consumer Assessments Vary across Health Plans? Medical Care Research and Review 57: 379–94. , , and .
- 2002. “Factors Affecting Response Rates to the Consumer Assessment of Health Plans Survey. Medical Care Research and Review 57 (3): 485–99. , , and .
- 2004. “Plan, Geographical, and Temporal Variation of Consumer Assessments of Ambulatory Health Care. Health Services Research 39 (5): 1467–85.