Address correspondence to Chenghui Li, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Division of Pharmaceutical Evaluation and Policy, College of Pharmacy, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 W. Markham Street Slot # 522, Little Rock, AR 72205; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Donna West-Strum, R.Ph., Ph.D., Chair and Associate Professor of Pharmacy Administration, Research Associate Professor, Research Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, The University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS.
Patient Panel of Underserved Populations and Adoption of Electronic Medical Record Systems by Office-Based Physicians
Version of Record online: 9 APR 2010
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 45, Issue 4, pages 963–984, August 2010
How to Cite
Li, C. and West-Strum, D. (2010), Patient Panel of Underserved Populations and Adoption of Electronic Medical Record Systems by Office-Based Physicians. Health Services Research, 45: 963–984. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01113.x
- Issue online: 8 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 9 APR 2010
- 2009. “Clinical Information Technologies and Inpatient Outcomes: A Multiple Hospital Study. Archives of Internal Medicine 169 (2): 108–14. , , , , and .
- 2006. Health Information Technology in the United States: The Information Base for Progress. Princeton, NJ: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. “Making Patient-Level Estimates from Medical Encounter Records Using a Multiplicity Estimator. Statistics in Medicine 26: 1762–74. , and .
- 2006. “Electronic Medical Record Use by Office-Based Physicians: United States, 2005” [accessed on February 19, 2010]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/electronic/electronic.htm , , and .
- 2005. “Which Physicians and Practices Are Using Electronic Medical Records? Health Affairs 24 (5): 1334–43. , and .
- 2004. “Bridging the Digital Divide: Reaching Vulnerable Populations. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 11 (6): 448–57. , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. “Systematic Review: Impact of Health Information Technology on Quality, Efficiency, and Costs of Medical Care. Annals of Internal Medicine 144 (10): E12–22. , , , , , , , and .
- Congressional Budget Office. 2008. “Evidence on the Costs and Benefits of Health Information Technology” [accessed on February 21, 2009]. Available at http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/91xx/doc9168/05-20-HealthIT.pdf
- 2008. “Electronic Health Records in Ambulatory Care—A National Survey of Physicians. The New England Journal of Medicine 359 (1): 50–60. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. “Hospitals and EMRs: Stimulating a Connection.” American Medical News, November 23, 2009 [accessed on December 23, 2009]. Available at http://www.amednews.com
- 2003. Hispanic Patients' Double Burden: Lack of Health Insurance and Limited English. New York: The Commonwealth Fund.
- 2006. “Are Minority Children the Last to Benefit from a New Technology? Technology Diffusion and Inhaled Corticosteriods for Asthma. Medical Care 44 (1): 81–6. , , , , and .
- 2008. “Personal Health Record Use by Patients as Perceived by Ambulatory Care Physicians in Nebraska and South Dakota: A Cross-Sectional Study. Perspectives in Health Information Management 5 (15): 1–16. , , and .
- 2005. Extrapolating Evidence of Health Information Technology Savings and Costs. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. , , and .
- 2006“Clinical Information Technology Gaps Persist among Physicians” [accessed on February 19, 2010]. Available at http://www.hschange.com/CONTENT/891/891.pdf , and .
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). 2009. “Guidelines for MUA and MUP Designation” [accessed on February 19, 2010]. Available at http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/shortage/muaguide.htm
- 2005. “Can Electronic Medical Record Systems Transform Health Care? Potential Health Benefits, Savings, and Costs. Health Affairs 24 (5): 1103–17. , , , , , , and .
- 2009. “Are There Patient Disparities When Electronic Health Records Are Adopted? Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 20: 473–88. , and .
- 2007. Electronic Medical Record Use by Office-Based Physicians and Their Practices: United States, 2006. Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics No. 393. , , and .
- 2006. “How Common Are Electronic Health Record in the United States? A Summary of the Evidence. Health Affairs 25: w496–507, Web Exclusive. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. “Physicians' Use of Electronic Medical Records: Barriers and Solutions. Health Affairs 23 (2): 116–26. , and .
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). 2007. “2005 NAMCS Micro-Data File Documentation” [accessed on February 19, 2010]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/ahcd_questionnaires.htm#downloadabledocumentation
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS). 2008. “2006 NAMCS Micro-Data File Documentation” [accessed on February 19, 2010]. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/ahcd_questionnaires.htm#downloadabledocumentation
- 2009. “Adopting Electronic Medical Records: What Do the New Federal Incentives Mean to Your Individual Physician Practice? The Journal of Medical Practice Management 25 (1): 44–8. , , , and .
- 2009. “Which Physicians Have Access to Electronic Prescribing and Which Ones End Up Using It? Health Policy 89 (3): 288–94. , , and .
- 2008. “Do Primary Care Physicians Treating Minority Patients Report Problems Delivering High-Quality Care? Health Affairs 26 (3): w222–31, Web Exclusive. , and .
- 2007. “Adoption of Health Information Technology in Community Health Centers: Results of A National Survey. Health Affairs 26 (5): 1373–83. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. “Readiness for Electronic Health Records: Comparison of Characteristics of Practices in a Collaborative with the Remainder of Massachusetts. Informatics in Primary Care 16 (2): 129–37.
- StataCorp LP. 2007. Stata (Release 9.2) Data Analysis and Statistical Software. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP.
- 2009. “Health Care and the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. New England Journal of Medicine 360 (11): 1057–60.
- 2008. “Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Detection and Treatment of Depression and Anxiety among Psychiatric and Primary Care Visits, 1995–2005. Medical Care 46 (7): 668–77. , , , , and .
- 2005. “The Value of Health Care Information Exchange and Interoperability. Health Affairs 25 (6): w5-10–18, Web Exclusive. , , , , , and .
- 2003. “A Cost-Benefit Analysis of Electronic Medical Records in Primary Care. The American Journal of Medicine 114 (5): 397–403. , , , , , , , , , , , and .