Address correspondence to Jonas Schreyögg, Ph.D., Chair for Health Care Management, Institute for Health Care Management and Health Economics, School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences, University of Hamburg, Von-Melle-Park 5, 20146 Hamburg, Germany; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jonas Schreyögg, Ph.D., is also adjunct research associate at the Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Tom Stargardt Ph.D., is with the Institute for Health Care Management and Health Economics, School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.
The Trade-Off between Costs and Outcomes: The Case of Acute Myocardial Infarction
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2010
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 45, Issue 6p1, pages 1585–1601, December 2010
How to Cite
Schreyögg, J. and Stargardt, T. (2010), The Trade-Off between Costs and Outcomes: The Case of Acute Myocardial Infarction. Health Services Research, 45: 1585–1601. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01161.x
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
- Issue published online: 8 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2010
- 2005. Survival Analysis Using SAS, a Practical Guide. Cary, NC: SAS Institute Inc.
- 1991. “Instrumental and ‘Quasi-Instrumental’ Variables. American Journal of Political Science 35: 777–800.
- 2002. “Hospital Volume and Surgical Mortality in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine 346: 1128–37. , , , , , , , and .
- 1995. “Problems with Instrumental Variables Estimation When the Correlation between the Instruments and the Endogenous Explanatory Variable Is Weak. Journal of American Statistical Association 90: 443–50. , , and .
- 2005. Microeconometrics: Methods and Applications. New York: Cambridge University Press. , and .
- 1999. “On Measuring the Hospital Cost/Quality Trade-off. Health Economics 8: 509–20. , and .
- 2006. “Cost Inefficiency and Mortality Rates in Florida Hospitals. Health Economics 15: 419–31. , and .
- 2000. “Selective Referral to High-Volume Hospitals. Journal of American Medical Association 283: 1159–66. , , , , and .
- 2007. “Risk Adjusted Resource Utilization for AMI Patients Treated in Japanese Hospitals. Health Economics 16: 347–59. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. “The Relationship between Quality and Cost: Pure and Simple? Inquiry 28 (1): 29–38.
- 2004. “Modelling Clustered Survival Data from Multicentre Clinical Trials. Statistics in Medicine 23: 369–88. , and .
- 1994. “Proportional Hazard Tests and Diagnostics Based on Weighted Residuals. Biometrika 81: 515–26. , and .
- 1986. “Estimating Hospital Costs: A Multiple-Output Analysis. Journal of Health Economics 5: 107–27. , , and .
- 1978. “Specification Tests in Econometrics. Econometrica 46: 1251–71. .
- 2002. “Nurse Staffing and Postsurgical Adverse Events: An Analysis of Administrative Data from a Sample of U.S. Hospitals, 1990–1996. Health Services Research 37: 611–27. , , , , and .
- 2004. “Care Following Acute Myocardial Infarction in the Veterans Administration Medical Centers: A Comparison with Medicare. Health Services Research 39: 1773–92. , , , , and .
- 2007. “Do Religious Non-Profit and For-Profit Organizations Respond Differently to Financial Incentives? Journal of Health Economics 26: 342–57. , and .
- 2000. “Comparing the Quality of Health Care Providers.” In Frontiers in Health Policy Research, Vol. 3, edited by A.Garber, pp. 113–36. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. , and .
- 2008. “Cost Inefficiency and Hospital Health Outcomes. Health Economics 17: 833–48. , and .
- 1992. “The Trade-Off between Hospital Cost and Quality of Care: An Exploratory Empirical Analysis. Medical Care 30: 677–98. , , , , and .
- 2001. “HMO Penetration, Competition, and Risk-Adjusted Hospital Mortality. Health Services Research 36 (6): 1019–35. , , and .
- 1985. “Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models. Journal of Business and Economic Statistics 3: 88–97. , and .
- 2002. “Nurse-Staffing Levels and the Quality of Care in Hospitals. New England Journal of Medicine 346: 1715–22. , , , and .
- 2007. “Survival Analysis and Competing Risk Models of Hospital Length of Stay and Discharge Destination: The Effect of Distributional Assumptions. Health Services Outcomes Research Methodology 7: 109–24. , , and .
- 2002. “The Effects of Hospital Ownership Choice on Patient Outcomes after Treatment for Acute Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Health Economics 21: 901–22.
- 1994. “Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments.” NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. , .
- 2004. “New ICD-10 Version of the Charlson Comorbidity Index Predicted In-Hospital Mortality. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 57: 1288–94. , , , , , and .
- 2008. “Two-Stage Residual Inclusion Estimation: Addressing Endogeneity in Health Econometric Modeling. Journal of Health Economics 27: 531–43. , , and .
- 2003. Cox Proportional Hazards Models for Modeling the Time to Onset of Decompression Sickness. NASA Technical Publication 2003-210791. Houston, TX: Johnson Space Center. , , and .
- 2001. “Development and Validation of the Ontario Acute Myocardial Infarction Mortality Prediction Rules. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 37: 992–97. , , , , , and .
- 2006. “The Relationship between Quality of Care and Costs in Nursing Homes. American Journal of Medical Quality 21: 40–8. , , and .
- 2006. “Performance-Based Budgeting in the Public Sector: An Illustration from the VA Health Care System. Health Economics 15: 295–310. , and .
- 2002. “Proportional Hazards Model with Random Effects to Examine Centre Effects in Multicentre Cancer Clinical Trials. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 11: 221–36. , , and .