Address correspondence to A. James O'Malley, Ph.D., Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, 180 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115-5899; e-mail: email@example.com. Daryl J. Caudry, S.M., and David C. Grabowski, Ph.D., are with the Department of Health Care Policy, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Predictors of Nursing Home Residents' Time to Hospitalization
Article first published online: 17 SEP 2010
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 46, Issue 1p1, pages 82–104, February 2011
How to Cite
O'Malley, A. J., Caudry, D. J. and Grabowski, D. C. (2011), Predictors of Nursing Home Residents' Time to Hospitalization. Health Services Research, 46: 82–104. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01170.x
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 17 SEP 2010
- 2003. “Variations in Hospitalization Rates among Nursing Home Residents: The Role of Discretionary Hospitalizations. Health Services Research 38 (4): 1177–206.
- 2001. “Validation of the Framingham Coronary Heart Disease Prediction Scores: Results of a Multiple Ethnic Groups Investigation. Journal of the American Medical Association 286: 180–7. , , , and .
- 2000. “Survival Analysis in Clinical Trials: Past Developments and Future Directions. Biometrics 56: 971–83. , and .
- 1993. “The Determinants of the Hospitalization of Nursing Home Residents. Journal of Health Economics 12 (3): 349–59. , and .
- 2003. “Semiparametric Analysis of Recurrent Events Data in the Presence of Dependent Censoring. Biometrics 59: 877–85. , and .
- 1996. “Functional and Residential Status Transitions among Nursing Home Residents. Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences 51 (1): M29–36. , , , and .
- 2003. “Competitive Spillovers across Non-Profit and For-Profit Nursing Homes. Journal of Health Economics 22 (1): 1–22. , and .
- 2007. “The Costs and Potential Savings Associated with Nursing Home Hospitalizations. Health Affairs (Millwood) 26 (6): 1753–61. , , and .
- 2008. “Predictors of Nursing Home Hospitalization: A Review of the Literature. Medical Care Research and Review 65 (1): 3–39. , , , and .
- 1999. “Facility Characteristics Associated with Hospitalization of Nursing Home Residents: Results of a National Study. Medical Care 37 (3): 228–37. , , and .
- 2007. “Hospitalization of Nursing Home Residents: The Effects of States' Medicaid Payment and Bed-Hold Policies. Health Services Research 42 (4): 1651–71. , , , , , , and .
- 1997. Survival Analysis: Techniques for Censored and Truncated Data. New York: Springer. , and .
- 1998. “Panel Data with Survival: Hospitalization of HIV-Positive Patients. Journal of the American Statistical Association 93: 46–53. , and .
- 1995. “Nursing Home Residents at Risk of Hospitalization and the Characteristics of Their Hospital Stays. Gerontologist 35 (1): 35–43. , and .
- 2007. “Deriving a Model of the Necessity to Hospitalize Nursing Home Residents. Research on Aging 29: 606–25. , , , , and .
- 2000. “Inappropriate Hospitalization of Nursing Facility Residents: A Symptom of a Sick System of Care for Frail Older People. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 48 (2): 230–1. , , and .
- 2000. “Appropriateness of the Decision to Transfer Nursing Facility Residents to the Hospital. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 48 (2): 154–63. , , , , , , , , , and .
- StataCorp. 2005. Stata Statistical Software: Release 9. College Station, TX: StataCorp LP.
- 2002. “Cross-Subsidization in Nursing Homes: Explaining Rate Differentials among Payer Types. Southern Economic Journal 68 (4): 750–73.