Hospitals and Nursing Homes
Nurse Staffing and Deficiencies in the Largest For-Profit Nursing Home Chains and Chains Owned by Private Equity Companies
Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2011
© Health Research and Educational Trust
Health Services Research
Volume 47, Issue 1pt1, pages 106–128, February 2012
How to Cite
Harrington, C., Olney, B., Carrillo, H. and Kang, T. (2012), Nurse Staffing and Deficiencies in the Largest For-Profit Nursing Home Chains and Chains Owned by Private Equity Companies. Health Services Research, 47: 106–128. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2011.01311.x
- Issue online: 12 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 30 AUG 2011
- 1990. “Transformation of Institutional Environments: Perspectives on the Corporatization of U.S. Healthcare.” In Innovations in Health Care Delivery: Insights for Organization Theory, edited by S. S. Mick, pp 53–85. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. , and .
- 2002. “The Rise of Human Service Chains: Antecedents to Acquisitions and Their Effects on the Quality of Care in US Nursing Homes, 1991–1997.” Managerial and Decision Economics 23: 261–82. , , , , and .
- 1999. “The Rise of Chain Nursing Homes in Ontario, 1971–1996.” Social Forces 78 (2): 543–83.
- 2006. “Systematic Review of Studies of Staffing and Quality in Nursing Homes.” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 7: 366–76. , , , and .
- 2008. “Nursing Home Caregiver Staffing Levels and Quality of Care: A Literature Review.” Journal of Applied Gerontology 27: 375–405. .
- 2007. “The Influence of Staffing Characteristics on Quality of Care in Nursing Homes.” Health Services Research 42: 1822–47. , and .
- 2008. “Further Examination of the Influence of Caregiver Staffing Levels on Nursing Home Quality.” Gerontologist 48: 464–76. ,and .
- 2004. “The Economics of Scale for Nursing Home Care.” Medical Care Research and Review 61 (1): 38–63. , and .
- 1996. “The Effect of Medicaid Reimbursement on Quality of Care in Nursing Homes.” Journal of Health Economics 15: 23–48. , and .
- 2009. “Quality of Care in For-Profit and Not-For-Profit Nursing Homes: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.” British Medical Journal 339: b2732. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1992. “Organization Theory and the Market for Corporate Control, 1980–1990.” Administrative Science Quarterly 37: 605–33. , and .
- 1994. “A Social Movement Perspective on Corporate Control.” Administrative Science Quarterly 39: 171–93. , and .
- 2008. “Private Equity and Public Good.” Dissent Magazine (Winter) [accessed on May 15, 2010]. Available at http://www.dissentmagazine.org/article/?article=988 .
- 2007. “At Many Homes, More Profit and Less Nursing.” New York Times, September 23, A1–A20, A21. .
- 2008. “Medicaid Payment Rates, Case-Mix Reimbursement, and Nursing Home Staffing – 1996–2004.” Medical Care 46 (1): 33–40. , , , , and .
- 2001. The Architecture of Markets: An Economic Sociology of Twenty-First Century Capitalist Societies. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2001a. “Medicaid Reimbursement and the Quality of Nursing Home Care.” Journal of Health Economics 20: 549–69. .
- 2001b. “Does An Increase in the Medicaid Reimbursement Rate Improve Nursing Home Quality?” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 56B: S84–93. .
- 2008. “Ownership Conversion and Nursing Home Performance.” Health Services Research 43 (4): 1184–203. , and .
- 2010. Nursing Facilities, Staffing, Residents, and Facility Deficiencies, 2004–09. San Francisco, CA: University of California [accessed December 10, 2010]. Available at http://www.theconsumervoice.org/newreport-nursing-facilities-staffing-residents-and-deficiencies-by-state-2001-2007 , , , and .
- 2004. “State Nursing Home Enforcement Systems.” Journal of Health Politics, Policy, and Law 29 (1): 43–73. , , and .
- 2007. “Nurse Staffing Levels and Medicaid Reimbursement Rates in Nursing Facilities.” Health Services Research 42: 1105–29. , , and .
- 2000. “Nursing Home Staffing and Its Relationship to Deficiencies.” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 55B (5): S278–86. , , , , and .
- 2001. “Does Investor-Ownership of Nursing Homes Compromise the Quality of Care?” American Journal of Public Health 91: 1452–5. , , , , and .
- 2011. “Ownership, Financing, and Management Strategies of the Ten Largest For-Profit Nursing Home Chains in the US.” International Journal of Health Services 41 (4): 725–46. , , , and .
- 2005. “Nursing Home Profit Status and Quality of Care: Is There Any Evidence of an Association?” Medical Care Research and Review 62 (2): 139–66. , , , , and .
- Institute of Medicine. 2003. Keeping Patients Safe: Transforming the Work Environment of Nurses. Washington, DC: National Academy of Medicine.
- 2007. “Comparing Staffing Levels in the Online Survey Certification and Reporting (OSCAR) System with the Medicaid Cost Report Data: Are Differences Systematic?” Gerontologist 347 (4): 480–9. , , and .
- 2009a. “Registered Nurse Staffing Mix and Quality of Care in Nursing Homes: A Longitudinal Analysis.” Gerontologist 49 (1): 81–90. , , and .
- 2009b. “A Panel Data Analysis of the Relationships of Nursing Home Staffing Levels and Standards to Regulatory Deficiencies.” Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 64B (2): 269–78. , , , , and .
- 2008. “Shareholder Value and the Performance of a Large Nursing Home Chain.” Health Services Research 43 (3): 1062–84. , , , , and .
- 2004. “Effects of Medicare Payment Changes on Nursing Home Staffing and Deficiencies.” Health Services Research 39 (3): 463–87. , , , and .
- 2008. “Top 50 Nursing Facility Chains: Steady Growth.” Provider Magazine, June 39–43. .
- 2009. “Top 50 Nursing Facility Chains: Weathering the Storm.” Provider Magazine, June 47–51. .
- Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPac). 2009. Report to Congress: Medicare Payment Policy. Washington, DC: MedPac [accessed on March 12, 2009]. Available at http://www.medpac.gov/documents/Mar09_EntireReport.pdf
- 2004. “Driven to Tiers: Socioeconomic Factors and Racial Disparities in the Quality of Nursing Home Care.” Milbank Quarterly 82 (2): 227–56. , , , , and .
- Office of Inspector General (OIG), Department of Health and Human Services, and . 2010. Questionable Billing by Skilled Nursing Facilities. OEI-02-09-00202. Washington, DC: OIG.
- 2003. “Quality of Care in Nursing Homes: An Analysis of the Relationships among Profit, Quality, and Ownership.” Medical Care 41: 1318–30. , , , and .
- 2004. “Relationship of Nursing Home Staffing to Quality of Care?” Health Services Research 39 (2): 225–50. , , , , , and .
- 2008. “Private Equity Investment and Nursing Home Care: Is It a Big Deal?” Health Affairs 27 (5): 1399–408. , and .
- 2006. Nursing Home Divestiture and Corporate Restructuring: Final Report. Washington, DC: US Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation, December. , , and .
- U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Prepared by Abt Associates Inc. 2001. Appropriateness of Minimum Nurse Staffing Ratios in Nursing Homes. Report to Congress: Phase II Final, Vols. I–III. Baltimore, MD: CMS.
- U.S. General Accounting Office. 2002. Skilled Nursing Facilities: Medicare Payments Exceed Costs for Most But Not All Facilities. Report to Congressional Requestors. GAO/HEHS-03-183. Washington, DC: General Accounting Office, December.
- U.S. General Accounting Office. 2003. Nursing Homes Quality: Prevalence of Serious Problems, While Declining, Reinforces Importance of Enhanced Oversight–Report to Congressional Requesters GAO-03-561. Washington, D.C.: General Accounting Office.
- U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO). 1987. Report to the Chairman, Subcommittee on Health and Long-Term Care, Select Committee on Aging, House of Representatives. Medicare and Medicaid: Stronger Enforcement of Nursing Home Requirements Needed. Washington, DC: U.S. GAO.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2007. Nursing Homes: Efforts to Strengthen Federal Enforcement Have Not Deterred Some Homes from Repeatedly Harming Residents. GAO-07-241. Washington, D.C.: GAO.
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2009a. CMS's Specific Focus Facility Methodology Should Better Target the Most Poorly Performing Facilities Which Tend to Be Chain Affiliated and For-Profit. GAO-09-689. Washington, D.C.: GAO [accessed on August 13, 2010]. Available at http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09689.pdf
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2009b. Nursing Homes: Addressing the Factors Underlying Understatement of Serious Care Problems Requires Sustained CMS and State Commitment. GAO-10-70. Washington, D.C.: GAO [accessed on August 13, 2010]. Available at http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d1070.pdf
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2010. Nursing Homes: Complexity of Private Investment Purchases Demonstrates Need for CMS to Improve the Usability and Completeness of Ownership Data. GAO-10-710. Washington, D.C.: GAO. Available at http://www.gao.gov/news.items/d10710.pdf
- 2004. “Nursing Home Staffing and Quality under the Nursing Home Reform Act.” Gerontologist 44 (1): 13–23. , and .