We have benefited from the comments of the Editor (Philip Berger), an anonymous reviewer, Ray Ball, John Core, Yonca Ertimur, Bob Holthausen, Ole-Kristian Hope, S.P. Kothari, Yanju Liu, Jeff Ng, Gil Sadka, Jayanthi Sunder, Dushyantkumar Vyas, and seminar participants at Columbia University, Hong Kong Science and Technology, London Business School, New York University, Singapore Management University, Tilburg University, the University of Chicago, the University of Pennsylvania, the University of Rochester, the AAA 2008 Annual Meeting, the AAA 2009 FARS meeting, and Tel Aviv conference. Richard Phelan, Head of European High Yield Research Team at Deutsche Bank, and Scott Richardson, Head of Credit Research at Barclays Global Investors, were particularly helpful in providing in-depth institutional knowledge of bond analysts. We thank the following research assistants, who helped us collect and code the bond analyst reports: Derek Carnegie, Lydia Guo, Yang Han, Jeffrey Lun, Viara Marinova, Samarth Modi, Vas Natarajan, Kunal Rai, Linda Tu, Zirong Wang, Yiyi Yang, and David Yiu. We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, London Business School RAMD Fund, the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, and the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. We thank Moody's Investors Service for providing the historical database on ratings. Part of the work on this article was completed while Gus De Franco was a visiting faculty member at the Sloan School of Management, MIT, and Regina Wittenberg-Moerman was on the faculty at the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.
The Informational Role of Bond Analysts
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
©, University of Chicago on behalf of the Accounting Research Center, 2009
Journal of Accounting Research
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 1201–1248, December 2009
How to Cite
DE FRANCO, G., VASVARI, F. P. and WITTENBERG-MOERMAN, R. (2009), The Informational Role of Bond Analysts. Journal of Accounting Research, 47: 1201–1248. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-679X.2009.00348.x
- Issue published online: 12 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2009
- Received 13 May 2008; accepted 4 May 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!