Self-Serving Attribution Bias, Overconfidence, and the Issuance of Management Forecasts
Article first published online: 31 OCT 2011
Copyright ©, University of Chicago on behalf of the Accounting Research Center, 2011
Journal of Accounting Research
Volume 50, Issue 1, pages 197–231, March 2012
How to Cite
LIBBY, R. and RENNEKAMP, K. (2012), Self-Serving Attribution Bias, Overconfidence, and the Issuance of Management Forecasts. Journal of Accounting Research, 50: 197–231. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-679X.2011.00430.x
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 31 OCT 2011
- Accepted manuscript online: 23 SEP 2011 05:06AM EST
- Received 3 December 2010; accepted 30 July 2011
Retraction: Expression of Concern
Article first published online: 5 JUN 2015
- and . Voluntary Causal Disclosures: Tendencies and Capital Market Reaction. Review of Quantitative Accounting and Finance 15 (2000): 371–89. ; ;
- and . Why Do Managers Explain Their Earnings Forecasts? Journal of Accounting Research 22 (2004): 1–29. ; ;
- and . Behavioral Corporate Finance,” in Handbook of Corporate Finance: Empirical Corporate Finance, First edition, edited by E. Eckbo. Amsterdam : Elsevier/North-Holland, 2007: 145–78. ; ;
- and . To Blame or Not to Blame: Analysts’ Reactions to Explanations of Poor Management Performance. Journal of Accounting and Economics 39 (2005): 509–33. ,
- and . Managerial Overconfidence and Corporate Policies.” Working paper, NBER, 2007. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1079308. ; ;
- and . Investor Sentiment and Corporate Disclosure. Journal of Accounting Research 46 (2008): 1057–83. ,
- and . Attributions in the Board Room: Causal Reasoning in Corporate Annual Reports. Administrative Science Quarterly 28 (1983): 165–83. ,
- and Analyzing Guidance at the Firm Level: The Effect of Reputation-Building and Learning-by-Doing on Guidance Frequencies and Guidance Properties.” Working paper, Cornell University and The University of Pennsylvania, 2011. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1545864. ; ;
- and . Are Overconfident Managers Born or Made? Evidence of Self-Attribution Bias from Frequent Acquirers. Management Science 54 (2008): 1037–51. ,
- and . Overconfidence and Excess Entry: An Experimental Approach. American Economic Review 89 (1999): 306–18. ,
- and . Confidence Interval Estimation Tasks and the Economics of Overconfidence. Journal of Economic Behaviour & Organization 61 (2006): 453–70. ; ;
- and . Is Silence Golden? Causes and Consequences of Stopping Quarterly Earnings Guidance. Journal of Accounting and Economics 51 (2011): 134–50. ; ;
- A Review of the Empirical Disclosure Literature: A Discussion. Journal of Accounting and Economics 31 (2001): 441–56.
- and . Using Online Video to Announce a Restatement: Influences on Investor Trust and Investment Decisions. The Accounting Review (2011): Forthcoming. ; ;
- and . Learning to Be Overconfident. The Review of Financial Studies 14 (2001): 1–27. ,
- and . The Economic Implications of Corporate Financial Reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics 40 (2005): 3–73. ; ;
- and . Differential Linguistic Content of Various Forms of Political Advertising. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media 44 (2000): 27–42. ; ; ;
- Managerial Traits and Capital Structure Decisions. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 43 (2008): 843–82.
- and . Predicting Relative Performance in Economic Competition. Journal of Behavioral Finance 9 (2008): 187–92. ,
- Hasbro . (2008). Trivial Pursuit. [Board game]. Pawtucket, RI.
- and . Information Asymmetry, Corporate Disclosure, and the Capital Markets: A Review of the Empirical Disclosure Literature. Journal of Accounting and Economics 31 (2001): 405–40. ,
- and . Does Past Success Lead Analysts to Become Overconfident? Management Science 52 (2006): 489–500. ,
- and . Management Earnings Forecasts: A Review and Framework. Accounting Horizons 22 (2008): 315–38. ; ;
- and . To Guide or Not to Guide? Causes and Consequences of Stopping Quarterly Earnings Guidance. Contemporary Accounting Research 27 (2010): 143–85. ; ;
- and . CEO Overconfidence and Management Forecasting,” Working paper, The University of Iowa and The University of Pennsylvania, 2011. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=929731. ,
- and . Prior Forecasting Accuracy and Investor Reaction to Management Earnings Forecasts,” Working paper, Boston College and Dartmouth College, 2009. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=817108. ,
- and . Using Counter-Explanation to Limit Analysts’ Forecast Optimism. The Accounting Review 81 (2006): 377–97. ; ;
- and . Data Analysis in Social Psychology,” in The Handbook of Social Psychology, First edition, edited by D. T. Gilbert, S. T. Fiske, and G. Lindzey. New York : Oxford University Press, 1998: 233–65. ; ;
- and . Causal Reasoning in Financial Reporting and Voluntary Disclosure. Accounting, Organizations and Society (2011): Forthcoming. ; ;
- and . Detecting Deceptive Discussions in Conference Calls.” Working paper, Stanford University, 2011. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Papers.cfm?abstract_id=1572705. ,
- and . Incentive Schemes, Sorting and Behavioral Biases of Employees: Experimental Evidence.” American Economic Journal: Microeconomics (2010): Forthcoming. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1569688. ,
- and . Economic Consequences of Financial Reporting and Disclosure Regulation: A Review and Suggestions for Future Research.” Working paper, University of Chicago, 2008. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1105398. ,
- Managers’ Self-Serving Attribution Bias and Corporate Financial Policies.” Working paper, University of Michigan, 2010. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1639005.
- and . Experimental Research in Financial Accounting. Accounting, Organizations and Society 27 (2002): 775–810. ; ;
- and . Psychology Models of Management Accounting. Foundations and Trends in Accounting Research 4 (2010): 199–345. ,
- and . CEO Overconfidence and Corporate Investment. Journal of Finance 60 (2005): 2661–2700. ,
- and . Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction. Journal of Financial Economics 89 (2008): 20–43. ,
- and . Is There a Universal Positivity Bias in Attributions? A Meta-Analytic Review of Individual, Developmental and Cultural Differences in the Self-Serving Bias. Psychological Bulletin 130 (2004): 711–47. ; ; ;
- and . Self-Serving Biases in the Attribution of Causality: Fact or Fiction? Psychological Bulletin 82 (1975): 213–25. ,
- Earnings Performance and Discretionary Disclosure. Journal of Accounting Research 40 (2002): 173–205.
- Not So Above Average After All: When People Believe They Are Worse than Average and Its Implications for Theories of Bias in Social Comparisons. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 102 (2007): 42–58.
- and . Overconfidence and Underconfidence: When and Why People Underestimate (and Overestimate) the Competition. Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes 103 (2007): 197–213. ,
- The Psychology of Investing, second edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ : Pearson Prentice Hall, 2005.
- and . The Attributional Style Questionnaire. Cognitive Therapy and Research 6 (1982): 287–300. ; ; ; ; ;
- and . Objectivity in the Eye of the Beholder. Psychological Review 111 (2004): 781–99. ; ;
- and . The Bias Blind Spot: Perceptions of Bias in Self vs. Others. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 28 (2002): 369–81. ; ;
- and . Managing Overconfidence. Sloan Management Review 33 (1992): 7–17. ,
- Survey Research, Second edition. Thousand Oaks, CA : Sage Publications, 2006.
- Enhancing Differences in the Achievement Attributions of High and Low-Motivation Groups. The Journal of Social Psychology 129 (1988): 357–63.
- and . Distinguishing Optimism from Neuroticism (and Trait Anxiety, Self-Mastery, and Self-Esteem): A Re-Evaluation of the Life Orientation Test. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 67 (1994): 1063–78. ; ;
- and . Executive Overconfidence and the Slippery Slope to Fraud.” Working paper, The University of Pennsylvania and The University of Chicago, 2011. Available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1265631. ,
- R&D Capitalization and Reputation-Driven Real Earnings Management. The Accounting Review 85 (2010): 671–93.
- and . Exploring Causes of the Self-Serving Bias. Social and Personality Psychology Compass 2 (2008): 895–908. ; ;
- Overconfidence in Psychology and Finance—An Interdisciplinary Literature Review. Bank i Kredyt 4 (2008): 33–50.
- and . Analysts’ Reaction to Earnings Preannouncement Strategies. Journal of Accounting Research 40 (2002): 223–46. ; ;
- and . The Psychological Meaning of Words: LIWC and Computerized Text Analysis Methods. Journal of Language and Social Psychology 29 (2010): 24–54. ,
- and . Illusions of Control, Underestimations and Accuracy: A Control Heuristic Explanation. Psychological Bulletin 123 (1998): 143–61. ; ;