Doug P. VanderLaan and Paul L. Vasey, Department of Psychology, University of Lethbridge.
Relationship status and elevated avuncularity in Samoan fa’afafine
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2011
Copyright © 2011 IARR
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 326–339, June 2012
How to Cite
VANDERLAAN, D. P. and VASEY, P. L. (2012), Relationship status and elevated avuncularity in Samoan fa’afafine. Personal Relationships, 19: 326–339. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6811.2011.01364.x
Various stages of this research were supported by the University of Lethbridge, by a NSERC of Canada Graduate Scholarship-D3, a Sigma Xi, Grant in Aid of Research, and a Ralph Steinhauer Award of Distinction to DPV as well as by a NSERC of Canada Discovery Grant to PLV. The authors wish to thank Resitara Apa, Nancy Bartlett, Peniamina Tolovaa Fagai, Vester Fido Collins, Liulauulu Faaleolea Ah Fook, Vaasatia Poloma Komiti, Anita Latai, Tyrone Laurenson, Fang Fang Li, Gaualofa Matalavea, Nella Tavita-Levy, Palanitina Toelupe, Trisha Tuiloma, Avalogo Togi A. Tunupopo, John Vokey, Erin Zelinski, the Kuka family of Savai'i, the National University of Samoa, the Samoan AIDS Foundation, the National University of Samoa, the Government of Samoa, the Editor, and three anonymous referees. We are grateful to all the individuals who agreed to participate in our study. We extend special thanks to Alatina Ioelu without whose help this study would not have been possible.
- Issue published online: 23 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2011
This article has been cited by:
- 1(Trans)Gender Role Expectations and Child Care in Samoa, Journal of Sex Research, 2014, 1, , , ,
- 2Evidence of Cognitive Biases for Maximizing Indirect Fitness in Samoan Fa’afafine, Archives of Sexual Behavior, 2014, 43, 5, 1009, ,
- 3Birth Order and Avuncular Tendencies in Samoan Men and Fa’afafine, Archives of Sexual Behavior, 2013, 42, 3, 371, ,
- 4Male Androphilia in the Ancestral Environment, Human Nature, 2013, 24, 4, 375, , ,
- 5No Evidence for Treating Friends’ Children Like Kin in Canadian Androphilic Men, Journal of Sex Research, 2013, 50, 7, 697, , ,