Family Structure Pathways and Academic Disadvantage among Adolescents in Stepfamilies*
Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2007
Volume 77, Issue 3, pages 383–424, August 2007
How to Cite
Tillman, K. H. (2007), Family Structure Pathways and Academic Disadvantage among Adolescents in Stepfamilies. Sociological Inquiry, 77: 383–424. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-682X.2007.00198.x
- Issue online: 13 JUL 2007
- Version of Record online: 13 JUL 2007
- 1999. “Dimensions of Family Conflict and Their Influence on Child and Adolescent Adjustment.” Sociological Inquiry 69:641–58. and .
- 1993. “Children's Adjustment to Divorce: Theories, Hypotheses, and Empirical Support.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 55:23–8.
- 2000. “The Consequences of Divorce for Adults and Children.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 62:1269–87.
- 1995. “Parental Divorce, Marital Conflict, and Offspring Well-Being during Early Adulthood.” Social Forces 73:895–915. , , and .
- 2005. “Impact of Family Structure on Parental Attitudes toward the Economic Support of Adult Children over the Transition to Adulthood.” Journal of Family Issues 26:143–67.
- 1991. “Family Structure, Parental Practices, and High School Completion.” American Sociological Review 56:309–20. and .
- 1994. “Family Structure, Residential Mobility, and School Dropout: A Research Note.” Demography 31:575–84. and .
- 2000. “Family Structure and Children's Success: A Comparison of Widowed and Divorced Single-Mother Families.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 62:533–48. and .
- Booth, Alan and JudyDunn, eds. 1994. Stepfamilies: Who Benefits? Who Does Not? Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- 2002. “Child Well-Being in Cohabiting Families.” Pp. 173–88 in Just Living Together: Implications of Cohabitation for Children, Families, and Social Policy, edited by and . Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- 2004. “Family Structure and Child Well-Being: The Significance of Parental Cohabitation.” Journal of Marriage and Family 66:351–67.
- 1996. Adolescents after Divorce. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. , , and .
- 1991. “Relation of Parental Transitions to Boys’ Adjustment Problems: I. A Linear Hypotheses. II. Mothers at Risk for Transitions and Unskilled Parenting.” Developmental Psychology 27:489–504. and .
- 1999. “Strategies to Perform a Design-Based Analysis Using the Add Health Data.” Retrieved August 1, 2005. <http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/files/weight1.pdf>. and .
- 1978. “Remarriage as an Incomplete Institution.” American Journal of Sociology 84:634–50.
- 1992. Marriage, Divorce and Remarriage. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University.
- 1994. “Stepfamilies in the United States: A Reconsideration.” Annual Review of Sociology 20:359–81. and .
- 1991. “Longitudinal Studies of Effects of Divorce on Children in Great Britain and the United States.” Science 252:1386–9. , ., , , , , and .
- 1986. “Stepparent-Stepchild Relationships and the Psychological Adjustment of Children in Stepmother and Stepfather Families.” Child Development 57:474–84. and .
- 2000. “Reinvestigating Remarriage: Another Decade of Progress.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 62:1288–1307. , , and .
- 1997. “Consequences of Young Mothers’ Marital Histories for Children's Cognitive Development.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 59:245–61. .
- 1992. “The Transition to First Intercourse among Racially and Culturally Diverse Youth.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 54:749–62.
- 1995. “When Bigger Is Not Better: Family Size, Parental Resources, and Children's Educational Performance.” American Sociological Review 60:746–61.
- 1999. “The Impact of Parental Separation/Divorce on Grandparent–Grandchild Relationships.” International Journal of Aging and Human Development 48:191–216. and .
- 1985. Life Course Dynamics. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. .
- 1998. “The Life Course as Developmental Theory.” Child Development 69:1–12. .
- 1997. Children, Schools and Inequality. Boulder, CO: Westview Press. , , and .
- 1992. “The Adjustment of Adolescents in Stepfather and Stepmother Families.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 54:725–36. and .
- 1992. “Stepparent Stress.” Journal of Divorce and Remarriage 17:1–15. and .
- 1991. Divided Families: What Happens to Children When Parents Part. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. . and .
- 1994. Remarried Family Relationships. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. and .
- 2004. “Family Structure and Children's Educational Outcomes: Blended Families, Stylized Facts, and Descriptive Regressions.” Demography 41:671–96. and .
- 2000. “Potential Sample Bias Associated with the Parent Data File in Add Health.” Working Paper. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina. .
- 1997. Teen Mothers and the Revolving Welfare Door. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University.
- 2003. “The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health: Study Design.” Retrieved August 1, 2005. <http://www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/design.html>. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Succeeding Generations: On the Effects of Investments in Children. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and .
- 2000. “Diversity among Stepfamilies.” Pp. 173–96 in Handbook of Family Diversity, edited by , , and . New York: Oxford University. and .
- 1991. “Conflict in Remarriages.” Journal of Divorce and Remarriage 15:69–86. .
- 1991. “The Economic Costs of Marital Dissolution: Why Do Women Bear a Disproportionate Cost?” Annual Review of Sociology 17:51–78. and .
- 1998. “A National Portrait of Family Structure and Adolescent Drug Use.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 60:633–45. and .
- 2006. “Health, Lifestyle, Family and School Factors in Adolescence: Predicting Adult Educational Level.” Educational Research 48:41–53. , , , and .
- 1992. “Divorced and Reconstituted Families: Effects on the Older Generation.” Generations 16:17–30.
- 1999. “Nonresident Father Visitation, Parental Conflict, and Mother's Satisfaction: What's Best for Child Well-Being?” Journal of Marriage and the Family 61:385–96. and .
- 2005. “The Validity of Self-Reported Grade Point Averages, Class Ranks, and Test Scores: A Meta-Analysis and Review of the Literature.” Review of Educational Research 75:63–82. , , and .
- 1993. “The Relation between Family Structure and Young Adolescents’ Appraisals of Family Climate and Parenting Behavior.” Journal of Family Issues 14:279–90. and .
- 2003. “Adolescent Well-Being in Cohabiting, Married, and Single-Parent Families.” Journal of Marriage and Family 65:876–93. and .
- 1992. “Parent Histories: Patterns of Change in Early Life.” Journal of Family Issues 13:351–77. and .
- 1994. Growing Up with a Single Parent: What Hurts, What Helps. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. and .
- 1997. “The Intergenerational Costs of Parental Social Stressors: Academic and Social Difficulties in Early Adolescence for Children of Young Mothers.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 38:72–86. , , and .
- 1980. “Impact of Father Loss on the Family.” Social Behavior and Personality 8:107–12. and .
- 1981. “The Stress Process.” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 22:337–56. , , , and .
- 1999. “Adolescent Perceptions of Interparental Conflict, Stressors, and Coping as Predictors of Adolescent Family Life Satisfaction.” Sociological Inquiry 69:599–620. and .
- 1997. “The Double ABCX Model and Children's Post-Divorce Adaptation.” Journal of Divorce and Remarriage 27:17–33. , , , and .
- 1997. “Family Structure, School Context, and Eighth Grade Math and Reading Achievement.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 59:734–46. .
- 2000. “The Effects of Change in Family Structure and Income on Dropping Out of Middle and High School.” Journal of Family Issues 21:147–69. and .
- 1996. Immigrant America: A Portrait. Berkeley, CA: University of California. and .
- 2004. “Cohabitation and Children's Family Instability.” Journal of Marriage and Family 66:210–19. and .
- 1999. “Young Adult Occupational Achievement: Early Expectations versus Behavioral Reality.” Work and Occupations 26:220–63. , , and .
- 1983. “Halos Versus Stigmas: Long Term Effects of Parent's Death or Divorce on College Students’ Concepts of the Family.” Adolescence 18:947–55.
- 1999. “Does Family Structure Really Influence Educational Attainment?” Social Science Research 28:331–57. and .
- 1994. “Consequences of Marital Dissolution for Children.” Annual Review of Sociology 20:235–66. .
- 1988. “Children's Contact with Absent Parents.” Journal of Marriage and the Family 50:663–77. and .
- 2002. “The Effects of Parental Divorce during Childhood on College Students.” Journal of Divorce and Remarriage 38:143–55.
- 1992. “Detachment Revisited: The Child's Reconstructions of a Dead Parent.” American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 62:494–503. , , and .
- 2001. “Contemporary American Stepparenthood: Integrating Cohabiting and Nonresident Stepparents.” Population Research and Policy Review 20:345–64.
- 1995. “Stress, Coping, and Social Support Processes: Where Are We? What Next?” Journal of Health and Social Behavior 36:53–79.
- 1994. “‘Settings’ and ‘Development’ from a Demographic Point of View.” Pp. 89–96 in Stepfamilies: Who Benefits, Who Does Not?, edited by and . Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. .
- 1994. “Family Structure and Child Well-Being: Economic Resources vs. Parental Behaviors.” Social Forces 73:221–42. , , and .
- 2006. “Grade Retention among Immigrant Children.” Social Science Research 35:129–56. , , and .
- 1988. “Children of Divorce: A 10-Year Study.” Pp. 197–212 in Impact of Divorce, Single Parenting, and Stepparenting on Children, edited by and . Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum. , , and .
- 2003. “Childhood and Adolescent Predictors of Early Adult Career Pathways.” Journal of Vocational Behavior 63:305–28. , , , and .
- 1992. “The Development of a Role Strain Index for Stepparents.” Families in Society 73:14–22. and .
- 1993a. “Duration in Parental Structures and High School Graduation.” Sociological Perspectives 36:393–414.
- 1993b. “Simplicity and Complexity in the Effects of Parental Structure on High School Graduation.” Demography 30:701–17.
- 1996. “Effects of Family Instability, Income, and Income Instability on the Risk of a Premarital Birth.” American Sociological Review 61:386–406.
- 1993. “Family Structure and the Risk of Premarital Birth.” American Sociological Review 59:210–32. and .
- 1996. “Family Change and Student Achievement: What We Have Learned, What It Means For Schools.” Pp. 137–74 in Family-School Links: How Do They Affect Educational Outcomes?, edited by and . Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum. .
- 2002. “Discrepancy between Self-Report and School-Record Grade Point Average: Correlates with Psychosocial Outcomes among African American Adolescents.” Journal of Applied Social Psychology 32:86–109. , , and .
- 1999. “Family Type and Investment in Education: A Comparison of Genetic and Stepparent Families.” Evolution and Human Behavior 20:453–64. .