Opposition to Pro-Immigrant Public Policy: Symbolic Racism and Group Threat
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2012
© 2012 Alpha Kappa Delta
Volume 83, Issue 1, pages 1–31, February 2013
How to Cite
Berg, J. A. (2013), Opposition to Pro-Immigrant Public Policy: Symbolic Racism and Group Threat. Sociological Inquiry, 83: 1–31. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-682x.2012.00437.x
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2012
- 2009. “Is Immigration a Racial Issue? Anglo Attitudes on Immigration Policies in a Border County.” Social Science Quarterly 90:593–610. , , , and .
- 1967. Toward a Theory of Minority-Group Relations. New York: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- 1958. “Race Prejudice as a Sense of Group Position.” Pacific Sociological Review 1:3–7. .
- 1999. “Prejudice as Group Position: Microfoundations of a Sociological Approach to Racism and Race Relations.” Journal of Social Issues 55:445–72. .
- 2001. “Stereotyping and Urban Inequality.” Pp. 89–162 in Urban Inequality: Evidence from Four Cities, edited by Alice O'Connor, Chris Tilly, Lawrence D. Bobo. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and .
- 2000. “Economic Insecurity, Prejudicial Stereotypes, and Public Opinion on Immigration Policy.” Political Science Quarterly 115:201–25. and .
- 1996. “The New Politics of Immigration: ‘Balanced-Budget Conservatism’ and the Symbolism of Proposition 187.” Social Problems 43:284–305. .
- 2010. “Comparative Analyses of Public Attitudes toward Immigrants and Immigration using Multinational Survey Data: A Review of Theories and Research.” Annual Review of Sociology 36:15.1–15.20. and .
- 2009. “Look Back in Anger? Voter Opinions of Mexican Immigrants in the Aftermath of the 2006 Immigration Demonstrations.” Urban Affairs Review 44:695–717. , , and .
- 2009. “When Contact with Immigrants Matters: Threat, Interethnic Attitudes and Foreigner Exclusionism in Spain's Comunidades Autonomas.” Ethnic and Racial Studies 32:44–69. and .
- 1996. “Contemporary American Attitudes toward U.S. Immigration.” International Migration Review 30:535–70. and .
- 2007. “Educated Preferences: Explaining Attitudes toward Immigration in Europe.” International Organization 61:399–442. and .
- 1997. “Amigo o Enemigo?: Context, Attitudes, and Anglo Public Opinion toward Immigration.” Social Science Quarterly 78:309–23. and .
- 1997. “‘Quedate o Vente’: Uncovering he Determinants of Hispanic Public Opinion toward Immigration.” Political Research Quarterly 50:627–47. , , and .
- 1995. “Opposition to Bilingual Education: Prejudice or the Defense of Realistic Interests?” Social Psychology Quarterly 58:133–43. and .
- 1997. “Symbolic Racism, Old-Fashion Racism, and Whites’ Opposition to Affirmative Action.” Pp. 45–75 in Racial Attitudes in the 1990s: Continuity and Change, edited by Steven A. Tuch, Jack K. Martin. Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc. .
- 2008. “American Attitudes toward Guest Worker Policies.” International Migration Review 42:741–66. , , and .
- 2009. “‘and Who is My Neighbor?’ Religion and Immigration Policy Attitudes.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 48:313–31. .
- 2002. “Attitudes toward U.S. Immigration Policy: The Roles of In-Group—Out-Group Bias, Economic Concern, and Obedience to Law.” The Journal of Social Psychology 142:617–34. and .
- 2003. Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables Using Stata. College Station, TX: Stata Press Publication. and .
- 2003. “Anti-Immigrant Prejudice in Europe: Contact, Threat Perception, and Preferences for the Exclusion of Migrants.” Social Forces 81:909–36. .
- 1997. “Is Subtle Prejudice Really Prejudice?” Public Opinion Quarterly 61:54–71. and .
- 2008. “U.S. Population Projections: 2005–2050.” Pew Research Center February 11, 2008 Report. and .
- 1995. “Subtle and Blatant Prejudice in Western Europe.” European Journal of Social Psychology 25:57–75. and .
- 2010. “Foundations of Anti-Immigrant Sentiment: The Variable Nature of Perceived Group Threat Across Changing European Societies, 2002–2006.” International Journal of Comparative Sociology 51:445–69. .
- 1995. “Prejudice as a Response to Perceived Group Threat: Population Composition and Anti-Immigrant and Racial Prejudice in Europe.” American Sociological Review 60:586–611. .
- 2007. “Anti-Immigrant Attitudes in Europe: Outgroup Size and Perceived ‘Ethnic Threat.” European Sociological Review 24:53–67. .
- 1988. “Symbolic Racism.” Pp. 53–84 in Eliminating Racism: Profiles in Controversy, edited by Phyllis A. Katz, Dalmas A. Taylor. New York: Plenum Press.
- 2003. “The Origins of Symbolic Racism.” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 85:259–75. and .
- 2000a. “Egalitarian Values and Contemporary Racial Politics.” Pp. 75–117 in Racialized Politics: The Debate about Racism in America, edited by David O. Sears, Jim Sidanius, Lawrence Bobo. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 1997. “Is It Really Racism? The Origins of White Americans’ Opposition to Race-Targeted Policies.” Public Opinion Quarterly 61:16–53. , , , and .
- 2000b. “Race in American Politics.” Pp. 1–43 in Racialized Politics: The Debate about Racism in America, edited by David O. Sears, Jim Sidanius, Lawrence Bobo. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. , , , and .
- 2007. “European Opinion about Immigration: The Role of Identities, Interests and Information.” British Journal of Political Science 37:477–504. and .
- 2005. “The Conceptualization and Measurement of Symbolic Racism.” The Journal of Politics 67:731–61. and .
- 2002. Dividing Lines: The Politics of Immigration Control in America, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2007. “Right-Wing Parties and Anti-Foreigner Sentiment in Europe.” American Sociological Review 72:831–40. , , and .
- 2001. “Americans’ Views on Immigration Policy: Testing the Role of Threatened Group Interests.” Sociological Perspectives 44:485–501. .