A Retrospective Study of Pemoline Toxicosis in Dogs: 101 Cases (1987–1997)

Authors


*Safdar A. Khan, DVM 1717 South Philo Road, Suite 36 Urbana, IL 61802 Email: larissa@napcc.aspca.org

Summary

Pemoline is a central nervous system stimulant commonly used for Attension Deficit Disorder in humans. This study describes the clinical syndrome associated with pemoline ingestion as well as its treatment. Ten years worth (1987–1997) of records from the ASPCa National Animal Poison Control Center involving pemoline ingestion in dogs were reviewed. The data suggests that most dogs ingesting pemoline show signs of central nervous system and cardiovascular stimulation including hyperactivity, tremors, ataxia, seizure, tachycardia, hyperthermia, and mydriasis. Blood chemistry alterations included electrolyte imbalances in some dogs. The minimum dose reported to cause clinical signs was 2.8 mg/kg and the minimum dose reported to have caused death was 10 mg/kg. Dogs generally showed clinical signs within 30 minutes to 24 hours of ingestion. The duration of clinical signs ranged from 15 hours to four days. Ninety-four percent of the dogs recovered with supportive treatment. (Vet. Emerg. & Crit. Care, 9:203–207, 1999)

Ancillary