Presented in part at the 15th International Veterinary Emergency Critical Care Symposium, Chicago, IL, September 2009.
Gastrointestinal tract perforations caused by ingestion of multiple magnets in a dog
Article first published online: 27 JUN 2011
© Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society 2011
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 369–374, August 2011
How to Cite
Hickey, M. C. and Magee, A. (2011), Gastrointestinal tract perforations caused by ingestion of multiple magnets in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 21: 369–374. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-4431.2011.00653.x
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 27 JUN 2011
- Submitted May 28, 2010; Accepted May 28, 2011.
- foreign body;
Objective – To describe a case of gastrointestinal tract perforation, septic peritonitis and coagulopathy caused by ingestion of multiple magnets in a dog.
Case Summary – An 8-month-old castrated male Rottweiler, weighing 30.5 kg was presented for evaluation of vomiting and weakness. Abdominal radiography and abdominal ultrasonographic examination identified a metallic foreign object within the gastric lumen, presence of free peritoneal gas, and peritoneal effusion. Septic peritonitis was diagnosed by abdominal fluid analysis. Exploratory celiotomy revealed the presence of an omental abscess, and gastric and colonic perforations. Four magnetic foreign objects were found within the lumen of the perforated stomach. Surgical management including removal of the magnets, abscess debridement and excision, perforation repair, and abdominal drainage combined with intensive medical therapy resulted in complete recovery of this dog.
New or Unique Information Provided – This report describes in detail the case management of a dog that developed both gastric and colonic perforations and severe morbidity secondary to ingesting multiple magnets.