Authors declare no conflict of interest.
Mojave toxin-type ascending flaccid paralysis after an envenomation by a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake in a dog
Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
© Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society 2011
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Volume 21, Issue 5, pages 558–564, October 2011
How to Cite
Hoggan, S. R., Carr, A. and Sausman, K. A. (2011), Mojave toxin-type ascending flaccid paralysis after an envenomation by a Southern Pacific Rattlesnake in a dog. Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 21: 558–564. doi: 10.1111/j.1476-4431.2011.00668.x
- Issue published online: 10 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 24 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Received: 18 AUG 2010
- snake bite;
- ventilatory failure;
- mechanical ventilation;
To describe the clinical presentation and case management of a dog that developed ascending flaccid paralysis after being envenomated by a Southern Pacific rattlesnake.
A dog was presented after it was bitten by a Southern Pacific rattlesnake. Only mild local edema and a minor coagulapathy developed, which is atypical for the Southern Pacific envenomation where hemotoxic effects are more commonly observed. Instead, a severe, rapidly progressing, ascending flaccid paralysis leading to acute respiratory failure, consistent with Mojave toxin, was seen. The patient was treated with repeated doses of antivenin and supported with mechanical ventilation. Despite clinical improvement of the paralysis over subsequent 3 days and successful weaning off the ventilator, the dog decompensated and succumbed to acute respiratory distress syndrome.
New or Unique Information Provided
The geographic region where this envenomation occurred has a documented population of Southern Pacific rattlesnakes with Mojave toxin in their venom. To the knowledge of the authors, this is the first reported case in the veterinary literature of an ascending flaccid paralysis, consistent with Mojave toxin, developing after an envenomation by a Southern Pacific rattlesnake.