I would like to thank Tim McCall for his helpful reading of several versions of this essay. Tita Rosenthal offered her expertise on the costume of Fetti's sitter. Allie Terry drew my attention to the multiple associations of the gesture of silence. Pat Simons, Jill Pedersen, Celeste Brusati, and Nancy Troy offered feedback on an early oral version of this essay. Giancarlo Fiorenza provided indispensable bibliographic suggestions. Peter Mancall and the USC/Huntington Early Modern Studies Institute generously supported the workshop from which this essay sprang.
Silence and secrets in Domenico Fetti's Portrait of a Man with a Sheet of Music
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Author. Renaissance Studies © 2012 The Society for Renaissance Studies, Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Volume 27, Issue 2, pages 270–290, April 2013
How to Cite
ROBERTS, S. (2013), Silence and secrets in Domenico Fetti's Portrait of a Man with a Sheet of Music. Renaissance Studies, 27: 270–290. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-4658.2012.00808.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!