Leonard Nurse is at the University of West Indies, Centre for Resource Management and Environmental Studies (CERMES), Barbados. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Critical considerations for future action during the second commitment period: A small islands’ perspective
Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2007
Natural Resources Forum
Volume 31, Issue 2, pages 102–110, May 2007
How to Cite
Nurse, L. and Moore, R. (2007), Critical considerations for future action during the second commitment period: A small islands’ perspective. Natural Resources Forum, 31: 102–110. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-8947.2007.00143.x
Rawleston Moore is with RM Consulting Inc. in Barbados.
- Issue online: 16 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 16 MAY 2007
- 2007 (Ed.). Climate change in the European Alps: Adapting winter tourism and natural hazards management. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris, 128 pp. ,
- 2004. Climate change and global water resources: SRES emissions and socio-economic scenarios. Global Environmental Change, 14: 31–52. ,
- 2003: Climate dangers and atoll countries. Climatic Change, 61: 321–337. , and ,
- Bellairs Research Institute, 1990. A survey of marine habitats around Anguilla, with baseline community descriptors for coral reefs and seagrass beds. Report prepared for the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Government of Anguilla. Funded by British Development Division in the Caribbean, Bridgetown, Barbados, 177 pp.
- 1997. Coral bleaching: causes and consequences. Coral Reefs, 16: 129–138. ,
- 2000: The impact of climate change on Pacific island developing countries in the 21st century. In Gillespie, A. and Burns, W.C.G. (eds.) Climate Change in the South Pacific: Impacts and Responses in Australia, New Zealand, and Small Island States. Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht, pp. 233–251. ,
- 2003. Anthropogenic carbon and ocean pH. Nature, 425: 365–365. , and ,
- 2005. Meeting the EU 2 °C climate target: global and regional emission implications, Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, 44 pp. and ,
- 2005. Global assessment of coral bleaching and required rates of adaptation under climate change. Global Change Biology, 11: 2251–2265. , , , and ,
- 2006. The dangers of ocean calcification. Scientific American, 294: 58–65. ,
- 2005. Predicting the impact of sea level rise on Caribbean sea turtle nesting habitat, Conservation Biology, 2(2): 1523–1739. , , , , , and ,
- 1994. Coral bleaching and ocean “hotspots”. Ambio, 23: 176–180. and ,
- Government of Australia, 2001. Poverty — The central integrating factor of Australia's aid program. Canberra, Australia, 27 pp.
- Government of Australia, 2002. Thirty-third Pacific Island Forum — Communique. http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/spacific/regional_orgs/pif33_communique.html
- 2005. A slippery slope: How much global warming constitutes dangerous anthropogenic interference. Climatic Change, 68: 269–279. ,
- 2004. How much warming are we committed to and how much can be avoided?, PIK Report No. 93, Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, Potsdam, 94 pp. , and ,
- 2005. Long-term potential ecosystem responses to greenhouse gas-induced thermohaline circulation collapse. Global Change Biology, 11(5): 699–709. , and ,
- 2004. Estimating global impacts from climate change. Global Environmental Change, 14(3): 201–218. , and ,
- 1999. Climate Change, Coral Bleaching and the Future of the World's Coral Reefs. Greenpeace International, Sydney, Australia, 27 pp. ,
- 1997. Reefs as dynamic systems. In Birkeland, C. (ed.) Life and Death of Coral Reefs. Chapman and Hall, pp. 43–67. ,
- International Energy Agency (IEA), 2004. World Energy Outlook 2004, Paris, France, 371 pp.
- IPCC, 1995. Climate change 1995 — Impacts, adaptations and mitigation of climate change: Scientific-technical analyses. Contribution of IPCC working group II to the second report. Cambridge University Press, 878 pp.
- IPCC, 1998. The regional impact of climate change — an assessment of vulnerability. A special report of IPCC working group II. Cambridge University Press, 517 pp.
- IPCC, 2001. Climate change 2001 — impacts, adaptation and vulnerability: Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report, Cambridge University Press, 1032 pp.
- 1992. Impacts of global warming on human health: Heat stress-related mortality. In Majumdar, S.K., Kalkstein, L.S., Yarnal, B., Miller, E.W., and Rosenfeld, L.M. (Eds.) Global Climate Change: Implications, Challenges and Mitigation Measures. The Pennsylvania Academy of Science, Easton, PA, 371–383. ,
- 2002. Future climate change and its impacts over small island states, Climate Research, 19: 179–192. , , and ,
- National Academy of Sciences, 2002. Abrupt Climate Change: Inevitable Surprises. The National Academies Press, Washington, D.C., 244 pp.
- National Energy Information Center, 2003. Greenhouse Gases, Climate Change and Energy. Energy Information Administration, National Energy Information Center, Washington, D.C.
- 1997. Vulnerability of South Pacific island nations to sea level rise. Journal of Coastal Research, 24: 133–151. and ,
- 2001. Small island states. In: McCarthy, J.J., Canziani, O.F., Leary, N.A., Dokken, D.J. and White, K.S. (eds.) Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Third Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, pp. 842–975. , , , , , , and ,
- 2005. Adaptation to global climate change: An urgent requirement for Small Island Developing States. Review of European Community and International Law (RECIEL), 14(2): 100–107. , and ,
- 2002. Climate change: Dangerous climate impacts and the Kyoto Protocol. Science, 296: 1971–1972. and ,
- 2004: The west Antarctic ice sheet and long term climate policy, Climatic Change, 64: 1–10. and ,
- 2005. Ice sheets, global warming, and article 2 of the UNFCCC. Climatic Change, 68: 257–267. , and ,
- 2002. The science of abrupt climate change. Eos, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union, 83(47), Fall Meet. Suppl, pp. 128–130. ,
- , , , , , , , and Quantitative observations of a major coral bleaching event in Barbados, South-eastern Caribbean (in prep.).
- 2005. Thermohaline circulation changes: A question of risk assessment — an editorial review essay. Climatic Change, 68: 241–247. , and ,
- 1991. Climate change and the future of atoll states. Journal of Coastal Research, 7: 1057–1075. , and ,
- Schellnhuber, H.J., Cramer, W., Nakicenovic, N., Wigley, T., and Yohe, G. (Eds.), 2006. Avoiding dangerous climate change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 406 pp.
- 1994. Potential climate change impacts on the agricultural systems of the small island nations of the Pacific. Paper prepared for IFDC–IRRI, Los Banos, Phillipines, 28 pp. ,
- 2007. The Economics of Climate Change — The Stern Review., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. ,
- 2005. Planning for climate change in small islands: Insights from national hurricane preparedness in the Cayman Islands. Global Environmental Change, 15: 139–149. ,
- United Nations Environmental Program (UNEP), 2002. Maldives: State of the Environment. Part III, Key Environmental Issues. UNEP Regional Resource Centre for Asia and the Pacific, 8 pp.
- 2001. Interpretation of high projections for global-mean warming. Science, 293(5529): 451–454. and ,
- World Meteoprological Organization (WMO), 2006. The state of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere using global observations up to December 2004. Greenhouse Gas Bulletin, March 2006, Geneva, Switzerland, 4 pp.