Malin Falkenmark is a Professor, Stockholm International Water Institute and Stockholm Resilience Center, Stockholm. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Global change in four semi-arid transnational river basins: Analysis of institutional water sharing preparedness
Version of Record online: 11 DEC 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 United Nations
Natural Resources Forum
Special Issue: Special issue on climate change and sustainable development
Volume 33, Issue 4, pages 310–319, November 2009
How to Cite
Falkenmark, M., Fraiture, C. d. and Vick, M. J. (2009), Global change in four semi-arid transnational river basins: Analysis of institutional water sharing preparedness. Natural Resources Forum, 33: 310–319. doi: 10.1111/j.1477-8947.2009.01254.x
Charlotte de Fraiture is Principal Researcher, International Water Management Institute, Ghana, West Africa.
Margaret J. Vick is an Associate in the Institute for Sustainable Development, Pacific/McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, California.
- Issue online: 11 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 11 DEC 2009
- 2005. Countries with rapid population growth and resource constraints: Issues of food, agriculture, and development. Population and Development Review, 31(2): 237. ,
- 2005. The Niger river basin. A vision for sustainable management. Washington, DC: The World Bank. , et al.,
- 2006. A SRES-based gridded global population dataset for 1990–2100. Population & Environment, 28: 113–131. , , ,
- CA, 2007. Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture (CA). Water for food, water for life: A comprehensive assessment of water management in agriculture. London: Earthscan, and Colombo: International Water Management Institute.
- 2003. Water Security and Peace: A Synthesis of Studies Prepared Under the PCCP-Water for Peace Process. UNESCO PCCP. ,
- Danube Case, Gabčikovo-Nagymaros Project (Hungary/Slovakia, 1997 ICJ 7).
- 2008. Governance mechanisms to address flow variability in water treaties. Global Environmental Change, 18: 285–295. , , ,
- 2003. Lessons on cooperation building to manage water conflicts in the Aral Sea basin. PCCP UNESCO (SC-2003/WS/44) , ,
- 2005. Consumptive water use to feed humanity – Curing a blindspot. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 9: 15–28. , ,
- 2008. Wake up to realities of river basin closure. Water Resources Development, 24: 201–215. , ,
- 2004. Balancing Water for Humans and Nature. The New Approach in Ecohydrology. London: Earthscan, 247pp. , ,
- 2010. Back to basics on water as a constraint for global food production — opportunities and limitations. In: Garrido, A. and H., Ingram (Eds.), Water for Food in a Changing World (2nd Volume Contributions from the Rosenberg International Forum on Water Policy). Routledge, in press. , ,
- 2009. Present and future water requirements for feeding humanity. Food Security, 1: 59–69. , , ,
- FAOSTAT, 2008. Database. Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome. Accessed March 2008. Available online at: faostat.fao.org.
- 2007. Looking ahead to2050: scenarios of alternative investment approaches. In: Molden, D. (Ed.), Water for Food, Water for Life: A Comprehensive Assessment of Water management in Agriculture. London: Earthscan, and Colombo: International Water Management Institute. , , , ,
- 2008. Biofuels and implications for agricultural water uses: blue impacts of green energy. Water Policy, 10(S1): 67–81. , , ,
- 2009. The Spanish and Portugese cooperation over their transboudary basins. In: Garrido, A., Llamas, M.R. (Eds.), Water policy in Spain, CRC press, Taylor & Francis Group. , , , ,
- 2009. Beyond the river: A practitioner perspective. Water Front, 1, May 2009. Stockholm: Stockholm International Water Institute. , , ,
- 2009. Water security: Time to talk across sectors. Water Front, 1, May 2009. Stockholm: Stockholm International Water Institute. ,
- 2008. Interactions between water, energy, food and the environment: evolving perspectives and policy issues. Water Policy, 10(S1): 1–10. , , , ,
- 2000. An institutional framework for facilitating cooperation in the Euphrates–Tigris river basin, International Negotiation, 5: 311–330. , ,
- 2009. Ethics and uncertainty in integrated water resources management with special reference to transboundary issues. In: Llamas, M.R. et al., (Eds.), Water Ethics. Marcelino Botin Forum 2007. CRC press, Taylor&Francis Group. ,
- 2003. The need for flexibility in freshwater treaty regimes, Natural Resources Forum, 27: 156–162. ,
- 2007. The Law of International Watercourses, 2nd Ed. New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 258–272. ,
- 2007. Chapter 16 CA 2007. In: Molden, D. (Ed.), Water for Food, Water for Life: A Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture. Earthscan, London, UK and International Water Management, Colombo, Sri Lanka. , , ,
- 2007. Effects of changes in CO2, climate, and land use on the carbon balance of the land biosphere during the 21st century. Journal on Geophysical Research, 112, G02032, doi:10.1029/2006JG000388. , , , , , ,
- MVB, 2007. Lundqvist, J., J. Barron, G. Berndes, A. Berntell, M. Falkenmark, L. Karlberg and J. Rockström, Water pressure and increases in food and bioenergy demand — implications of economic growth and options for decoupling. In: Scenarios on economic growth and resource demand. Background report to the Swedish Environmental Agency Council memorandum, Swedish Environment Advisory Council Jo 1968: A. Background Report to the Swedish Environment Advisory Council memorandum, 2007:1, 2007:1. pp 55–151.
- NBA, 1980. Convention Creating the Niger Basin Authority, Faranah, 21 November 1980 (Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Upper Volta (Burkina Faso).
- NBI, 1999. Nile Basin Initiative. Information available online at http://www.nilebasin.org.
- 2004. Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy. FAO-ESA Working Paper 04–17. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division. ,
- 2003. The global water shortage and Turkey's water management, Proceedings of the Symposium by the Regional Centre on Urban Water Management, Policies and strategic options for water management in the Islamic countries, Tehran 15–16 December 2003, UNESCO Technical Documents in Hydrology/No. 73, Paris: UNESCO. ,
- 2009a. Future water availability for global food production: the potential of green water for increasing resilience to global change. Water Resources Research, 45: doi: 10.1029/2007WR006767. , , , , ., ,
- 2009b. Global food production in a water constrained world. Exploring green and blue challenges and solutions. New York: Cambridge University Press, in press. , , ,
- 2007. Assessing the water challenge of a new green revolution in developing countries. PNAS, 104: 6253–6260. , , ,
- 2003. 10 Years of Regional Collaboration in Shared Water Resources Management of Central Asia, prepared for 3rd World Water Forum, Regional Cooperation in Shared Water Resources in Central Asia, Kyoto, March 18, 2003 available at http://www.adb.org/Documents/Presentations/RC_Shared_Water/Ryabtsev.pdf. ,
- 2002. Beyond the river: the benefits of cooperation on international rivers, Water Policy, 4: 389–403. ., ,
- Seed Daily, 2009. Turkey blaimed for looming crop ‘disaster’ in Iraq. Seed Daily, 20 May 2009.
- SIWI, 2007. On the verge of a new water scarcity: A call for good governance and human ingenuity, SIWI Policy Briefs. Stockholm: SIWI.
- 2008. Basin closure and environmental flow requirements. Water Resources Development, 24: 227–233. ,
- US Census Bureau, Population Division. 2008. Available online at: http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/idb/worldpopinfo.html. Website last accessed May 2008.
- Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, 23 May 1969.
- 2003. Conflict and Cooperation Within International River Basins: The Importance of Institutional Capacity, Water Resources Update, Vol. 125, Universities' Council on Water Resources. , , ,
- World Bank, 2007. Niger Basin Water Resources Development and Sustainable Ecosystems Management Project, Project Information document, Appraisal Stage, Report No. AB2974, Washington, DC: The World Bank.
- 2008. Turkey, Iraq, Syria to initiate water Talks, Today's Zaman, 12 March 2008. ,