- Top of page
- Bilirubin: chemical structure and formation
- Bilirubin metabolism under normal conditions
- Bilirubin determination
- Disturbed bilirubin metabolism ()
- How to differentiate hyperbilirubinaemia
- Additional aspects of disturbed bilirubin metabolism
Bilirubin is an endogenous compound that can be toxic under certain conditions but, on the other hand, mild unconjugated hyperbilirubinaemia might protect against cardiovascular diseases and tumour development. Serum bilirubin levels are often enhanced under a variety of clinical conditions. These are discussed and the mechanisms are outlined.