Implications of Global Climate Change for Biogeographic Patterns in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Article first published online: 20 APR 2005
Volume 5, Issue 3, pages 373–386, September 1991
How to Cite
ROMME, W. H. and TURNER, M. G. (1991), Implications of Global Climate Change for Biogeographic Patterns in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. Conservation Biology, 5: 373–386. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.1991.tb00151.x
- Issue published online: 20 APR 2005
- Article first published online: 20 APR 2005
- Paper submitted July 1, 1990; revised manuscript accepted December 11, 1990
- 1988. Patterns of community dynamics in Colorado Engelmann spruce– subalpine fir forests. Ecology 69:312–319. , , and .
- 1989. Silvics of white bark pine (Pinus albicaulis). USDA Forest Service, General Technical Report INT-253. , and .
- 1970. Pollen sequence from late Quaternary sediments in Yellowstone Park. Science 168:1449–1450.
- 1976. Late Quaternary vegetation history of the Yellowstone Lake basin, Wyoming. US. Geological Survey Professional Paper 729-E.
- 1986. Sangamonian and Wisconsinan paleoenvironments in Yellowstone National Park. Geological Society of America Bulletin 97:717–736.
- 1987. The northwestern US. during deglaciation: vegetational history and paleoclimatic implications. Pages 289–321 in W. F.Rud-diman and H. E.Wright, Jr., editors. North America and adjacent oceans during the last deglaciation. The Geology of North America, Volume K-3. Geological Society of America, Boulder , Colorado . , , and .
- 1991. Greater Yellowstone's native ungulates: myths and realities. Conservation Biology 5353–363.
- Bolin, B., B. R.Doos, J.Jager, and R. A.Warrick, editors. 1986. The greenhouse effect, climatic change, and ecosystems. SCOPE Volume 29. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- 1986. Responses of tree populations to climatic change. Vegetatio 67:119–130.
- 1990. Patterns, causes, and theory of fire occurrence during the last 750 yr in northwestern Minnesota. Ecological Monographs 60:135–169.
- 1988. Management of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem: an annotated bibliography. Northern Rockies Conservation Cooperative, P.O. Box 2705, Jackson, WY 83001. , and .
- 1988. Climate and regional resource analysis: the effect of scale on resource homogeneity. Climatic Change 13:129–148. , , and .
- Differences among model simulations of climate change on the scale of resource regions. Environmental Management 13(6). In press. , and .
- 1987. Fire and the forest history of the North Cascade Range. Ecology 68:791–802.
- 1943. Soil temperature versus drought as a factor determining lower altitudinal limits of trees in the Rocky Mountains. Botanical Gazette 105:1–13.
- 1954. Alpine timberlines in the Americas and their interpretation. Butler University Botanical Studies 11:119–136.
- 1984. Climatic instability, time lags, and community disequilibrium. Pages 269–284 in J.Diamond and T.J.Case, editors. Community ecology. Harper & Row, New York .
- 1989a. Insights from paleoecology on global change. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 70:222–228.
- 1989b. Lags in vegetation response to greenhouse warming. Climatic Change 15:75–82.
- Changes in geographical range resulting from greenhouse warming—effects on biodiversity in forests. in Peters and Lovejoy, editors. Consequences of greenhouse warming to biodiversity. In press. , and .
- 1985. Animal impacts. Pages 115–123 in N.V.DeByle and R. P.Winokur, editors. Aspen: ecology and management in the western United States. USDA Forest Service General Technical Report RM-119.
- 1987. The two climates of Yellowstone National Park. Proceedings of Montana Academy of Sciences (Biological Sciences) 47:11–19.
- 1991. Yellowstone vegetation: consequences of environment and history. Roberts Rinehart Publishing Company, Boulder , Colorado .
- 1975. Assembly of species communities. Pages 342–444 in M. L.Cody and J. M.Diamond, editors. Ecology and evolution of communities. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 1986. The climate system and modelling of future climate. Pages 207–270 in B.Bolin, B. R.Doos, J.Jager, and R. A.Warrick, editors. The greenhouse effect, climatic change and ecosystems. SCOPE Volume 29. John Wiley & Sons, New York .
- 1986. A 6000-year record of forest history on Mount Rainier, Washington. Ecology 67:58–68.
- 1985. Holocene dynamics of the subalpine forest in central Colorado. AASP Contribution Series No. 16:31–46.
- 1982. Adaptive behavioral strategies. Pages 219–277 in J. W.Thomas and D. E.Toweill, editors. Elk of North America: ecology and management. Stackpole Books.
- 1984. Managing parks and reserves as ecosystems: a report from a workshop organized by the International Association for Ecology (INTECOL) and sponsored by the US. National Park Service. Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Athens , Georgia .
- 1990. How increasing atmospheric CO2 and climate change affects forests. Bio-Science 40:575–587. , , and .
- 1988. Global climate changes as forecast by the GISS 3-D model. Journal of Geophysical Research 93:9341–9364. , , , et al.
- 1982. The northern Yellowstone elk: ecology and management. MacMillan Publishing Company, New York .
- 1979. Fire recurrence in the subarctic and its implications for vegetation composition. Canadian Journal of Botany 57:1374–1379.
- 1987. Historical vegetation change in the Kananaskis Valley, Canadian Rockies. Canadian Journal of Botany 65:853–858. , and .
- 1974. Silviculture of southwestern mixed conifers and aspen: the status of our knowledge. USDA Forest Service Research Paper RM-122.
- 1985. Ecology: the experimental analysis of distribution and abundance. 3rd edition Harper & Row, New York .
- 1987. On the development of regional climatic scenarios for policy-oriented climatic-impact assessment. Bulletin American Meteorological Society 68:1116–1123.
- 1987. Effects of carbon dioxide-induced climate changes on the natural ranges of six major commercial tree species in the western United States. Pages 123–155 in W. E.Shands and J. S.Hoffman, editors. The greenhouse effect, climate change, and US. Forests. , and .
- 1967. The theory of island biogeography. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey . , and ,
- 1973. The bison of Yellowstone National Park. National Park Service Monograph Series, Number 1.
- 1988. Grassland phytomass, climatic variation and ungulate population dynamics in Yellowstone National Park. Final Report. University of Wyoming–National Park Service Research Center, Moran , Wyoming . 74 pp. , , , and .
- 1976. The regionalization of climate in the western United States. Journal of Applied Meteorology 15920–927.
- 1977. Grindstone flat and big flat exclosures—a 41-year record of changes in clearcut aspen communities. USDA Forest Service Research Paper INT-195. , and .
- 1951. The elk of North America. The Stackpole Company and the Wildlife Management Institute.
- 1989. Sensitivity of ecological landscapes and regions to global climatic change. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Environmental Research Laboratory, Corvallis, OR 97333. , , , et al.
- 1983. Biogeography of two southwest American oaks in relation to atmospheric dynamics. Journal of Biogeography 10:275–297. , and .
- 1989. Growth dynamics and water use of seedlings of Quercus alba L. in CO2-enriched atmospheres. New Phytologist 111:491–500. , and .
- 1986. Impacts of increasing CO2 on natural vegetation, particularly the tundra. Pages 36–42 in C.Rosenzweig and R.Dickinson, editors. Climate–vegetation interactions. Report OIES-2. Proceedings of a workshop, Greenbelt, Maryland, January 27-29, 1986. Office for Interdisciplinary Earth Studies, University Corporation for Atmospheric Research, Boulder , CO 80307. , and .
- 1988. Response of northern forests to CO2-induced climate change. Nature 344:55–58. , and .
- 1963. Vegetational pattern in relation to environments in the Madison Range, Montana. Ecological Monographs 33:375–406.
- 1981. Forest vegetation of the Colorado Front Range: composition and dynamics. Vegetatio 37:65–78.
- 1985. The greenhouse effect and nature reserves. BioScience 35:707–717. , and .
- 1988. Soil evidence for postglacial forest-grassland fluctuation in the Absaroka Mountains of northwestern Wyoming, U.S.A. Arctic and Alpine Research 20:188–198. , , and .
- Effects of weather and fuel type on ignition and spread of forest fires in Yellowstone National Park. In preparation. , and .
- 1989. Historical perspective on the Yellowstone fires of 1988. BioScience 39:695–699. , and .
- 1987. Rising carbon dioxide, climate change, and forest management an overview. Pages 113–121 in W. E.Shands and J. S.Hoffman, editors. The greenhouse effect, climate change, and US. forests. The Conservation Foundation, Washington , D.C . , , and .
- 1988. Seasonal climate changes induced by doubled CO2 as simulated by the OSU atmospheric GCM/mixed-layer ocean model. Oregon State University Climate Research Institute Report, Corvallis, Oregon. , and .
- 1985. Computer-aided reconstruction of late-Quaternary landscape dynamics. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16:63–84. , and .
- 1979. Benign neglect: a model of faunal collapse in the game reserves of East Africa. Biological Conservation 15:259–272. , , and .
- 1983. Terrestrial plant communities. Pages 177–222 in E. R.Lemon, editor. CO2 and plants: the response of plants to rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide. AAAS Selected Symposium 84. Westview Press, Boulder , Colorado . , and .
- 1990. Fire-southern oscillation relations in the southwestern United States. Science 249:1017–1020. , and .
- 1979. Fire history and vegetation pattern of coniferous forests in Jasper National Park, Alberta. Canadian Journal of Botany 57:1912–1931.
- 1988. Preparing for climate change. BioScience 38:14–18.
- 1989. Predicting across scales: theory development and testing. Landscape Ecology 3:245–252. , , and .
- Landscape dynamics in crown fire ecosystems. in R. D.Laven and P. N.Omi, editors. Pattern and process in crown fire ecosystems. Princeton University Press, Princeton , New Jersey . In press. , and .
- 1986. Size and age structure of subalpine forests in the Colorado Front Range. Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club 113:225–240.
- 1974. Late Quaternary vegetational changes on the east side of Yellowstone Park, Wyoming. Quaternary Research 4:175–184. , and
- 1988. Cloud feedback process in a GCM. Journal of Atmospheric Sciences 45:1397–1415. , and .
- 1980. Insular ecology and conservation. Pages 95–117 in M. E.Soule and B. A.Wilcox, editors. Conservation biology: an evolutionary-ecological perspective. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts .