Conservation, Human Rights, and Poverty Reduction
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2006
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 250–252, February 2006
How to Cite
BROCKINGTON, D., IGOE, J. and SCHMIDT-SOLTAU, K. (2006), Conservation, Human Rights, and Poverty Reduction. Conservation Biology, 20: 250–252. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2006.00335.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2006
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2006
- Paper submitted February 21, 2005; revised manuscript accepted June 2, 2005.
- 1995. Balance sheet: inhabitants in national parks—An unsolvable contradiction?Pages 449–460 in S.Amend and T.Amend, editors. National parks without people The South American experience. World Conservation Union, Gland , Switzerland . , and .
- 1995. Forest management patterns in the floodplain of the Amazon estuary. Conservation Biology 9: 47–61. , , , and .
- 2004. Pastoralism and protected area management in Mongolia's Gobi Gurvansaikhan National Park. Development and Change 35: 167–191. , and .
- 1998. Perils to parks: the social context of threats. Pages 315–339 in K.Brandon, K. H.Redford, and S. E.Sanderson, editors. Parks in peril. People, politics and protected areas. The Nature Conservancy, Washington , D.C .
- Brandon, K., K. H.Redford, and S. E.Sanderson, editors. 1998. Parks in peril. People, politics and protected areas. The Nature Conservancy, Washington , D.C .
- 2003. Mexico's community-managed forests as a global model for sustainable landscapes. Conservation Biology 17: 672–677. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Contested nature. Promoting international biodiversity with social justice in the twenty-first century. State University of New York Press, Albany . , , , and .
- 2002. Fortress conservation. The preservation of the Mkomazi Game Reserve, Tanzania. James Currey, Oxford , United Kingdom .
- 2003. Injustice and conservation: is local support necessary for sustainable protected areas Policy Matters 12: 22–30.
- 2004. The social and environmental impacts of wilderness and development. Oryx 38: 140–142. , and .
- 2004. Indigenous peoples and protected areas at the World Parks Congress. Conservation Biology 18: 609–612.
- 2001. Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291: 125–128. , , , and .
- CBD (Convention on Biological Diversity) COP 7. 2004. Decision VII/28, page 354. CBD , Montreal . Available from http://www.biodiv.org/doc/decisions/COP-07-dec-en.pdf (accessed July 2004).
- 2004. A challenge to conservationists. World Watch Magazine Nov/Dec: 17–31.
- 1995. The shifting middle ground: Amazonian Indians and eco-politics. American Anthropologist 97: 695–710. , and .
- 2002. Integration of science and community-based conservation in the Mexico/U.S. borderlands. Conservation Biology 16: 880–886.
- 2001. From refuge to refugee: the African case. Public Administration and Development 21: 159–70. , and .
- 2004. Becoming indigenous in Africa: the globalization of Maasai and Barabaig ethnic identities. African Studies working paper 248. Boston University, Boston , Massachusetts .
- 2000. Community forestry and tree theft in Mexico: resistance or complicity in conservation. Development and Change 31: 281–305.
- 2004. Displacement fears. Frontline 21. Kasturi & Sons Limited, Chennai , India . Available from http://www.frontlineonnet.com/fl2126/stories/20041231000108500.htm (accessed February 2005).
- 1989. Management of national parks and sanctuaries in India. A status report. Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi . , , , and .
- 2003. Biodiversity across a rural land-use gradient. Conservation Biology 17: 1425–1434. , , and .
- 2004. Reconciling biodiversity conservation with rural development: the holy grail of CBNRM. Pages 93–111 in C.Fabricius, E.Koch, H.Magome, and S.Turner, editors. Rights, resources and rural development. Community-based natural resource management in southern Africa. Earthscan, London . , and .
- 2003. The role of incentive programs in conserving the snow leopard. Conservation Biology 17: 1512–1520. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Indigenous peoples and protected areas in Africa. Forest Peoples Programme, Moreton-in-Marsh, United Kingdom . , and .
- 2004. Letters concerning ICO approaches to tropical forest conservation. Conservation Biology 18: 1452–1455. , , , , , and .
- 2002. Status review of the protected-area system in Myanmar, with recommendations for conservation planning. Conservation Biology 16: 360–368. , , and .
- 2004. International conservation organizations and the fate of local tropical forest conservation initiatives. Conservation Biology 18: 578–580. , and .
- 2003. Reconciliation ecology and the future of species diversity. Oryx 37: 194–205.
- 2003. Contested relationships between biodiversity conservation and poverty alleviation. Oryx 37: 1–2. , and .
- 2005. The environmental risks of conservation related displacements in central Africa. Pages 282–311 in I.Ohta and Y. D.Gebre, editors. Displacement risks in Africa. Trans Pacific Press, Melbourne .
- 2004. Can protected areas contribute to poverty reduction? Opportunities and limitations. World Conservation Union, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , , , and .
- 2005. A challenge to conservationists: phase II—Letters. World Watch Magazine Jan/Feb: 5–20. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Reflections of a scientist on the World Parks Congress. Conservation Biology 18: 619–620.