SEARCH

SEARCH BY CITATION

Keywords:

  • alien forestry trees;
  • Czech Republic;
  • invasive trees;
  • species naturalization
  • árboles forestales no nativos;
  • árboles invasores;
  • naturalización de especies;
  • República Checa

Abstract: We studied 28 alien tree species currently planted for forestry purposes in the Czech Republic to determine the probability of their escape from cultivation and naturalization. Indicators of propagule pressure (number of administrative units in which a species is planted and total planting area) and time of introduction into cultivation were used as explanatory variables in multiple regression models. Fourteen species escaped from cultivation, and 39% of the variance was explained by the number of planting units and the time of introduction, the latter being more important. Species introduced early had a higher probability of escape than those introduced later, with more than 95% probability of escape for those introduced before 1801 and <5% for those introduced after 1892. Probability of naturalization was more difficult to predict, and eight species were misclassified. A model omitting two species with the largest influence on the model yielded similar predictors of naturalization as did the probability of escape. Both phases of invasion therefore appear to be driven by planting and introduction history in a similar way. Our results demonstrate the importance of forestry for recruitment of invasive trees. Six alien forestry trees, classified as invasive in the Czech Republic, are currently reported in nature reserves. In addition, forestry authorities want to increase the diversity of alien species and planting area in the country.

Resumen: Estudiamos 28 especies de árboles no nativos que actualmente están sembrados con fines forestales en la República Checa para determinar la probabilidad de su escape del cultivo y naturalización. Utilizamos indicadores de la presión de propágulos (número de unidades administrativas en que una especie está sembrada y área total de siembra) y del tiempo de introducción al cultivo como variables explicativas en modelos de regresión múltiple. Catorce especies escaparon del cultivo, y 39% de la varianza fue explicada por el número de unidades de siembra y del tiempo de introducción, con mayor importancia del último. Las especies introducidas temprano tuvieron una mayor probabilidad de de escapar que las introducidas posteriormente, con más de 95% de probabilidad de escapar las introducidas antes de 1801 y < 5% las introducidas después de 1892. La probabilidad de naturalización fue más difícil de pronosticar, y 8 especies fueron clasificadas erróneamente. Un modelo sin las 2 especies de mayor influencia sobre el modelo produjo predictores similares de la naturalización y de la probabilidad de escapar. Por lo tanto, ambas fases de la invasión parecen ser dirigidas de manera similar. por la historia de siembra y de introducción. Nuestros resultados demuestran la importancia de la silvicultura en el reclutamiento de árboles invasores. Actualmente, seis árboles forestales no nativos, clasificados como invasores en la República Checa, son reportados en reservas naturales. Adicionalmente, las autoridades forestales desean incrementar la diversidad de especies no nativas y el área de siembra en el país.