The Normative Dimension and Legal Meaning of Endangered and Recovery in the U.S. Endangered Species Act
Article first published online: 19 JUL 2006
Volume 20, Issue 5, pages 1383–1390, October 2006
How to Cite
VUCETICH, J. A., NELSON, M. P. and PHILLIPS, M. K. (2006), The Normative Dimension and Legal Meaning of Endangered and Recovery in the U.S. Endangered Species Act. Conservation Biology, 20: 1383–1390. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2006.00493.x
- Issue published online: 19 JUL 2006
- Article first published online: 19 JUL 2006
- Paper submitted November 30, 2005; revised manuscript accepted January 2, 2006.
- 1996. Judgement under uncertainty and the cognitive illusion. International Journal of Psychology 31:1312–1312.
- 1997. The evolution of national wildlife law. Praeger Paperback, Westport , Connecticut . , and .
- 1998. On the use of demography models of population viability in endangered species management. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:821–841. , and .
- 1999. Seasonal compensation of predation and harvesting. Oikos 87:419–426. , , and .
- 1996. Source-sink population dynamics may complicate the interpretation of long-term census data. Ecology 77:3–12. , and .
- 2006. Defining recovery goals and strategies for endangered species: the wolf as a case study. BioScience 56:25–38. , , , and .
- 1988. The edge of the range. Journal of Animal Ecology 57:771–785. , , , and .
- 2000. Dynamic biogeography and conservation of endangered species. Nature 403:84–86. , and .
- 2001. The use and abuse of population viability analysis. Trends in Evolution & Ecology 16:219–221. , , , and .
- 1997. Distribution and causation of species endangerment in the United States. Science 277:1116–1117. , and .
- Defenders of Wildlife v. Norton. 2001. 258 F.3d 1136 (case 99-56362) (Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals). Available from http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov (accessed December 2005).
- Defenders of Wildlife v. Norton. 2002. 239 F. Supp. 2d. 9 (District Court of Washington, D.C.). Available from http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/district-court.html (accessed December 2005).
- Defenders of Wildlife v. Norton. 2005. Civil No. 03-1348-JO (District Court of Oregon).
- 2002. Phylogenetic comparative methods and the geographic range size—body size relationship in new world terrestrial Carnivora. Evolutionary Ecology 16:351–367. , and .
- Egan, D., and E. A.Howell, editors. 2001. The historical ecology handbook. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 1996. Conservation implications of geographic range size-body size relationships. Conservation Biology 10:638–646. , and .
- 1994. Species borders: ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 9:223–227. , and .
- 1970. Philosophy of natural science. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs , New Jersey .
- IUCN. 2001. IUCN Red list categories and criteria: Version 3.1. Species Survival Commission. IUCN, Cambridge, United Kingdom .
- 2003. Biological correlates of extinction risk in bats. The American Naturalist 161:601–614. , , and .
- 2002. Applying ecological science to recovery planning. Ecological Applications 12:629–629. .
- 1993. Range, population abundance and conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 8:409–413.
- 1995. When are peripheral populations valuable for conservation? Conservation Biology 9:753–760. , and .
- 1995. Splendid isolation: pattern of geographic range collapse in endangered mammals. Journal of Mammalogy 76:335–347. , and .
- 1996. Uncertainty and the assessment of extinction probabilities. Ecological Applications 6:1067–1076.
- 1999. Is it meaningful to estimate a probability of extinction? Ecology 80: 298–310.
- Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. 2003. 11th Edition. Merriam-Webster, Springfield , Massachusetts .
- 1996. Factors leading to different viability predictions for a grizzly bear data set. Conservation Biology 10:863–873. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Paying for tolerance: rural citizens' attitudes toward wolf depredation and compensation. Conservation Biology 17:1500–1511. , , and .
- 2000. Predicting extinction risk in declining species. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series B. Biological Sciences 267:1947–1952. , , , and .
- 2002. The collapse of the fact/value dichotomy and other essays. Harvard University Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 2004. Removing the eastern distinct population segment of the gray wolf from the list of endangered and threatened wildlife; proposed rule. Federal Register 69:43663–43692. , et al.
- Southwest Center for Biological Diversity v. Norton. 2004. Civil Action 98-934 (District Court of Washington, D.C.). Available from http://www.dcd.uscourts.gov/district-court.html (accessed December 2005).
- 2003. Center for Biodiversity 2003 Annual Report. Center for Biodiversity, Tucson, Arizona. Available from http://www.biologicaldiversity.org (accessed 15 June 2006). .
- 1997. Butterfly metapopulations. Pages 359–386 in I. K.Hanski, and M. E.Gilpin, editors. Metapopulation Biology. Academic Press, San Diego . , and .
- 1998. On the interpretation and application of mean times to extinction. Biodiversity and Conservation 7:1539–1547. , and .
- 2003. Spatial patterns of demography and genetic processes across the species' range: null hypotheses for landscape conservation genetics. Conservation Genetics 4:639–645. , and .
- USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). 1985. Removal of Brown Pelican in southeastern US from list of endangered and threatened wildlife. Federal Register 50:4938–4945.
- USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). 1994. Remove the eastern north Pacific population of the Gray Whale from the list of endangered wildlife—final rule. Federal Register 59:31094–31095.
- USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service). 2003. Final rule to reclassify and delist the gray wolf in portions of the United States. Federal Register 68:15,803–15,875.