A Framework for Debate of Assisted Migration in an Era of Climate Change
Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2007
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 297–302, April 2007
How to Cite
McLACHLAN, J. S., HELLMANN, J. J. and SCHWARTZ, M. W. (2007), A Framework for Debate of Assisted Migration in an Era of Climate Change. Conservation Biology, 21: 297–302. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2007.00676.x
- Issue online: 26 MAR 2007
- Version of Record online: 26 MAR 2007
- Paper submitted August 7, 2006; revised manuscript accepted November 16, 2006.
- 2004. Bring Torreya taxifolia north—now. Wild Earth Winter/Spring: 52–56. , and .
- 2002. Modelling potential impacts of climate change on the bioclimatic envelope of species in Britain and Ireland. Global Ecology and Biogeography 11:453–462. , , , and .
- 2005. The community context of species' borders: ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Oikos 108:28–46. , , , and .
- 2001. Ecological forecasts: an emerging imperative. Science 293:657–660. , et al.
- 2003. Estimating population spread: what can we forecast and how well? Ecology 84:1979–1988. , , , and .
- 1987. Geographical variation of lodgepole pine in relation to population history. The American Naturalist 129:463–469. , and .
- 2001. The endangered species act: history, conservation biology, and public policy. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore , Maryland . , and
- 2001. Range shifts and adaptive responses to Quaternary climate change. Science 292:673–679. , and .
- ELI (Environmental Law Institute). 2002. Halting the invasion: state tools for invasive species management. ELI, Washington , D.C.
- 2006. Novel methods improve prediction of species' distributions from occurrence data. Ecography 29:129–151. , et al.
- 2004. Evolutionary potential of Chamaecrista fasciculata in relation to climate change. II. Genetic architecture of three populations reciprocally planted along an environmental gradient in the great plains. Evolution 58:1459–1471.
- 2005. Modelling species diversity through species level hierarchical modelling. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C- Applied Statistics. 54:1–20. , , , , , and .
- 1994. What is ecosystem management? Conservation Biology 8:27–38.
- 2005. Predicting species distribution: offering more than simple habitat models. Ecology Letters 8:993–1009. , and .
- 2005. Conserving biodiversity under climate change: the rear edge matters. Ecology Letters 8:461–467. and .
- 2002. Conservation of biodiversity in a changing climate. Conservation Biology 16:264–268. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. The view from the cape. Extinction risk, protected areas, and climate change. Bioscience 55:231–242. , , , and .
- 2002. The effect of an environmental change on mobile butterfly larvae and the nutritional quality of their hosts. Journal of Animal Ecology 70: 925–936.
- 1999. Atlas of current and potential future distributions of common trees of the eastern United States. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Radnor , Pennsylvania . , , , and .
- 2001. Progress in invasion biology: predicting invaders. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:199–204. , and .
- 1998. Non-analogous tree flora in the Scandes Mountains, Sweden, during the early Holocene—macrofossil evidence of rapid geographic spread and response to palaeoclimate. Boreas 27:153–161.
- McCarthy, J. J., O. F.Canziani, N. A.Leary, D. J.Dokken, and K. S.White, editors. 2001. Climate change 2001: impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Intergovernmental panel on climate change, working group II. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2002. Climate change hastens population extinctions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 99:6070–6074. , , , and .
- 2005. Twilight of the mammoths: ice age extinctions and the rewilding of America. University of California Press, Berkeley , California .
- 2004 Atlas of climate change effects in 150 bird species of the eastern United States. Northeastern Research Station, U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service , Radnor , Pennsylvania . , , , and .
- NAS (National Academy of Sciences). 1993. A biological survey for the nation. National Academy Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421:37–42. , and .
- 2006. Tracking population extirpations via melding ecological niche modeling with land-cover information. Ecological Modelling 195:229–236. , , , and .
- 1997. Plant migration and climate change. American Scientist 85:464–473. , et al.
- 2003. Fingerprints of global warming on wild animals and plants. Nature 421:57–60. , , , , , and .
- 2006a. The promise and the potential consequences of the global transport of mycorrhizal fungal inoculum. Ecology Letters 9:501–515. , , , , , , and .
- 2006b. Predicting extinctions as a result of climate change. Ecology 87:1611–1615. , , , , and .
- 2002. Conservation's disenfranchised urban poor. BioScience 52:601–606. , , and .
- 2004. Extinction risk from climate change. Nature 427:145–148. , et al.
- 2005. The importance of long-distance dispersal in biodiversity conservation. Diversity and Distributions 11:173–181. , , , and .
- 1999. Invasions. Ecography 22: 5–12.
- 2006. Experimental verification of ecological niche modeling in a heterogeneous environment. Ecology 87: 2433–2439. , , , , and .