Conservation Value of Remnant Riparian Forest Corridors of Varying Quality for Amazonian Birds and Mammals
Article first published online: 31 JAN 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 22, Issue 2, pages 439–449, April 2008
How to Cite
LEES, A. C. and PERES, C. A. (2008), Conservation Value of Remnant Riparian Forest Corridors of Varying Quality for Amazonian Birds and Mammals. Conservation Biology, 22: 439–449. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2007.00870.x
- Issue published online: 31 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 31 JAN 2008
- Paper submitted February 20, 2007; revised manuscript accepted August 27, 2007.
- 1998. Do habitat corridors provide connectivity? Conservation Biology 12:1241–1252. , and .
- 2003. Linkages in the landscape: the role of corridors and connectivity in wildlife conservation. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, and Cambridge , United Kingdom . .
- Bierregaard, R. O.Jr., C.Gascon, T. E.Lovejoy, and R. C. G.Mesquita, editors. 2001. Lessons from Amazonia: the ecology and conservation of a fragmented forest. Yale University Press, New Haven , Connecticut .
- 2004. Population structure and mitochondrial DNA variation in sedentary Neotropical birds isolated by forest fragmentation. Conservation Genetics 5:743–757.
- 2002. Model selection and multi-model inference: a practical-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York . , and .
- 1996. PRIMER: Plymouth routines in multivariate ecological research. Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Plymouth , United Kingdom .
- 2006. An experimental test of matrix permeability and corridor use by an endemic understory bird. Conservation Biology 20:135–145. , and .
- 1988. Statistical design and analysis for a ‘biological effects’ study. Marine Ecology Progress Series 46:213–226. , and .
- 2002. Fire as a large-scale edge effect in Amazonian forests. Journal of Tropical Ecology 18:311–325. , and .
- Código Florestal. 2001. Código florestal Brasileiro. Instituto Brasileiro de Desenvolvimento Florestal, Ministerio da Agricultura , Brasilia . Available from http://www.planalto.gov.br/CCIVIL/leis/L4771.htm (accessed February 2007).
- 2006. Connectivity conservation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 2005. The fate of the Amazonian areas of endemism. Conservation Biology 19:689–694. , , and .
- 1994. Conservation of fragmented populations. Conservation Biology 8:5059. , and .
- 1987. Compositional dissimilarity as a robust measure of ecological distance. Vegetatio 69:57–68. , , and .
- 1997. Effects of forest fragmentation on mortality and damage of selected trees in Central Amazonia. Conservation Biology 11:797–801. , and .
- 1978. Avian nest dispersion and fledging success in field forest ecotones. Ecology 59:871–883. , and .
- 1990. The elements of connectivity where corridor quality is variable. Landscape Ecology 4:157–170. , and .
- 1996. R: a language for data analysis and graphics. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 5:299–314. , and .
- INPE (Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas Espaciais). 2006. Monitoramento da floresta amazônica brasileira por satélite: Projeto Prodes, São José dos Campos, São Paulo. Available from http://www.obt.inpe.br/prodes/index.html (accessed December 2005).
- 2004. Area use by white-lipped and collared peccaries (Tayassu pecari and Tayassu tajacu) in a tropical forest fragment. Biological Conservation 120:411–425. , , and .
- Laurance, W. F., and R. O.Bierregaard, editors. 1997. Tropical forest remnants: ecology, management, and conservation of fragmented communities. University of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 1997. How to creatively fragment a landscape. Conservation Biology 11:577–579. , and .
- 1999. Tropical wildlife corridors: use of linear rainforest remnants by arboreal mammals. Biological Conservation 63:441–450. , and .
- 2006. Rapid avifaunal collapse along the Amazonian deforestation frontier. Biological Conservation 133:198–211. , and .
- 1999. Responses of mammals to habitat edges: an overview. Landscape Ecology 14:333–343. .
- 1999. The conservation value of linear forest remnants in central Amazonia. Biological Conservation 91:241–247. , and .
- 1993. Ecological principles for the design of wildlife corridors. Conservation Biology 7:627–630. , and .
- 2004. Mixed species bird flocks from Brazilian Atlantic forest: the effects of forest fragmentation and seasonality on their size, richness and stability. Biological Conservation 116:19–26. , and .
- 2002. FRAGSTATS: spatial pattern analysis program for categorical maps. Version 3.2. University of Massachusetts, Amherst . Available from http://www.umass.edu/landeco/research/fragstats/fragstats (accessed October 2005). , , , and .
- 2005. Anthropogenic determinants of primate and carnivore local extinctions in a fragmented forest landscape of southern Amazonia. Biological Conservation 124:383–396. , and .
- 2007. Disturbance-mediated drift in tree functional groups in Amazonian forest fragments. Biotropica 36:691–701. , , and .
- 2005. Why we need megareserves in Amazonia. Conservation Biology 19:728–733.
- 2006. Synergistic effects of habitat disturbance and hunting in Amazonian forest vertebrates. Pages 105–127 in W.F.Laurance and C.A.Peres, editors. Emerging threats to tropical forests. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , and .
- 2004. Avaliação da abrangência das Áreas de Proteção Permanente (APP) em relação a Reserva Legal em ambientes de floresta da Amazônia. III LBA Scientific Conference, Brazilia . ., , and .
- 1994. Defining forest fragmentation by corridor width: the influence of narrow forest-dividing corridors on forest-nesting birds in southern New Jersey. Conservation Biology 8:1109–1121. , , and .
- 1997. Biological corridors: form, function, and efficacy. BioScience 47:677–688. , , and .
- 2003. Biodiversity conservation corridors: planning, implementing, and monitoring sustainable landscapes. Conservation International, Washington , D.C. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Assessment of minimum stream corridor width for biological conservation: species richness and distribution along mid-order streams in Vermont, USA. Biological Conservation 71:325–332. , and .
- 2006. Modelling conservation in the Amazon basin. Nature 440:520–523. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Neotropical birds: ecology and conservation. University of Chicago Press, Chicago . , , , and .
- 1999. Local extinctions of terrestrial insectivorous birds in a fragmented landscape near Manaus, Brazil. Conservation Biology 13:1416–1423. , and .