Striking a Balance between Biodiversity Conservation and Socioeconomic Viability in the Design of Marine Protected Areas
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 691–700, June 2008
How to Cite
KLEIN, C. J., CHAN, A., KIRCHER, L., CUNDIFF, A. J., GARDNER, N., HROVAT, Y., SCHOLZ, A., KENDALL, B. E. and AIRAMÉ, S. (2008), Striking a Balance between Biodiversity Conservation and Socioeconomic Viability in the Design of Marine Protected Areas. Conservation Biology, 22: 691–700. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.00896.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Paper submitted March 30, 2007; revised manuscript accepted October 22, 2007.
- 1994. Advances in marine conservation: the role of marine protected areas. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 9: 267–270.
- 2000. Marxan (V1.8.2): Marine reserve design using spatially explicit annealing, a manual. University of Queensland, Brisbane , Australia . , and .
- CDFG (California Department of Fish and Game). 2005a. Adopted regional goals and objectives package. CDFG, Sacramento, California .
- CDFG (California Department of Fish and Game). 2005b. California Marine Life Protection Act initiative draft master plan framework: a recommendation to the California Fish and Game Commission. CDFG, Sacramento, California .
- CDFG (California Department of Fish and Game). 2005c. California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative regional profile of the central coast study region. CDFG, Sacramento, California .
- IUCN (World Conservation Union). 2003. Recommendations of the 5th IUCN World Parks Congress. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland .
- 2003. Using siting algorithms in the design of marine reserve networks. Ecological Applications 13: S185–S198. , , , , and .
- 2006. Server based tools and geodatabase to support marine protected area planning in California. Conservation without borders abstracts: contributed poster presentations at the 20th annual meeting. Society for Conservation Biology , Arlington , Virginia . , , , , and .
- 2004. Integrating costs into conservation planning across Africa. Biological Conservation 117: 343–350. , , , and .
- 2000. Mathematical methods for identifying representative reserve networks. Pages 291–305 in S.Ferson and M.Burgman, editors. Quantitative methods for conservation biology. Springer-Verlag, New York . , , and .
- Possingham, H. P., K. A.Wilson, S. J.Andelman, and C. H.Vynne, editors. 2006. Protected areas: goals, limitations, and design. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts .
- 2006. Sensitivity of marine-reserve design to the spatial resolution of socioeconomic data. Conservation Biology 20: 1191–1202. , , , and .
- 2003a. Ecological criteria for evaluating candidate sites for marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13: S199–S214. , et al.
- 2003b. Application of ecological criteria in selecting marine reserves and developing reserve networks. Ecological Applications 13: S215–S228. , et al.
- 2002. A general model for designing networks of marine reserves. Science 298: 1991–1993. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Participatory socioeconomic analysis: drawing on fishermen's knowledge for marine protected area planning in California. Marine Policy 28: 335–349. , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Commercial fishing grounds and their relative importance off the central coast of California. Ecotrust, Portland , Oregon . , , and .
- State of California. 1999. California Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA). Fish and Game Code 2850–2863. State of California, Sacramento . Available from http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/mlpa_language.pdf (accessed October 2007).
- 2005. Efficiency, costs and trade-offs in marine reserve system design. Environmental Modeling & Assessment 10: 203–213. , and .
- 2002. Economic models of marine protected area: an introduction. Natural Resource Modeling 15: 261–272. , and .
- 2000. Addressing ecosystem effects of fishing using marine protected areas. ICES Journal of Marine Science 57: 752–760. , , , and .
- Tele Atlas North America. 2005. Parks. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands , California .
- USGS (US Geological Survey). 2000. Census 2000 urban and rural classification. Bureau of Census. Environmental Systems Research Institute, Redlands , California .
- 2007. A reassessment of equivalence in yield from marine reserves and traditional fisheries management. Oikos 116: 2039–2043. , and .