The Combined Effects of Remnant Vegetation and Tree Planting on Farmland Birds
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 22, Issue 3, pages 742–752, June 2008
How to Cite
CUNNINGHAM, R. B., LINDENMAYER, D. B., CRANE, M., MICHAEL, D., MacGREGOR, C., MONTAGUE-DRAKE, R. and FISCHER, J. (2008), The Combined Effects of Remnant Vegetation and Tree Planting on Farmland Birds. Conservation Biology, 22: 742–752. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.00924.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Paper submitted May 22, 2007; revised manuscript accepted October 22, 2007.
- ACT Government. 2004. Woodlands for wildlife: ACT lowland woodland conservation strategy. Action plan 27. Environment ACT, Canberra.
- 2000. Birds on farms: ecological management for agricultural sustainability. Wingspan 10( 4 )(supplement):1–16.
- 1994. Conservation of woodland birds in a fragmented rural landscape. Pacific Conservation Biology 1:245–256. , , and .
- 2003. New atlas of Australian birds. Birds Australia , Melbourne . , , , , and .
- 1997. Land use, habitat change and the conservation of birds in fragmented rural environments: a landscape perspective from the Northern Plains, Victoria, Australia. Pacific Conservation Biology 3:244–261. , and .
- 1999. Setting the scene—the native vegetation of New South Wales. Native Vegetation Advisory Council. Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney .
- 2003. Farmland biodiversity: is habitat heterogeneity the key? Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:182–188. , , and .
- 2002. Experimental evidence of disrupted dispersal causing decline of an Australian passerine in fragmented habitat. Conservation Biology 16:471–478. , and .
- 2000. Conservation in production environments: managing the matrix. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton, New South Wales. , , and .
- 1999. Quantifying observer heterogeneity in bird counts. Australian Journal of Ecology 24:270–277. , , , and .
- 2007. Reptile and arboreal marsupial response to replanted vegetation in agricultural landscapes. Ecological Applications 17:609–619. , , , , and .
- 2001. Countryside biogeography: use of human-dominated habitats by the avifauna of southern Costa Rica. Ecological Applications 11:1–13. , , and .
- 2003. Countryside biogeography of Neotropical mammals: conservation opportunities in agricultural landscapes of Costa Rica. Conservation Biology 17:1814–1826. , , , , and .
- Department of Environment and Water Resources. 2007. Threatened species and threatened ecological communities. Department of Environment and Water, Canberra, Australia. Available from http://www.dewr.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/index.html (accessed August 2007).
- 1987. Multivariate analysis of ecological communities. Chapman & Hall, London . , and .
- 2005. Dispersal range analysis: quantifying individual variation in dispersal behaviour. Oecologia 142:1–10. , and .
- 2002. Estimating bird species richness: how should repeat surveys be organized in time? Austral Ecology 27:624–629. , , and .
- 2002. The conservation value of small habitat patches: two case studies on birds from southeastern Australia. Biological Conservation 106:129–136. , and .
- 2005. Making the matrix matter: challenges in Australian grazing landscapes. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:561–578. , , , and .
- 2008. Should agricultural policies encourage land sparing or wildlife-friendly farming? Frontiers in Ecology and Environment DOI:DOI: 10.1890/070019. , et al.
- 2001. Why have birds in the woodlands of southern Australia declined? Biological Conservation 97:71–88. , , , and .
- 1995. Landscape mosaics. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 1999. Guidelines for enhancing grassy woodlands for the Vegetation Investment Project. CSIRO and Greening Australia, Canberra .
- 2002. The value of paddock trees for regional conservation in an agricultural landscape. Ecological Management and Restoration 3:205–210. , and .
- 2007. Patterns of animal diversity in different forms of tree cover in agricultural landscapes. Ecological Applications 16:1986–1999. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Temperate eucalypt woodlands in Australia. Surrey Beatty and Sons, Chipping Norton , New South Wales . , and .
- 2005. Biodiversity in eucalypt plantings established to reduce salinity. Report 05/165. Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation, Canberra. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Habitat loss and the limits to endangered species recovery. Ecology Letters 7:1163–1169. , and .
- 2003. How effective are European agri-environment schemes in conserving and promoting biodiversity? Journal of Applied Ecology 40:947–969. , and .
- 2004. Ecological effectiveness of agri-environment schemes in different agricultural landscapes in the Netherlands. Conservation Biology 18:775–786. , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Spatial and seasonal patterns of bird communities in Italian agroecosystems. Conservation Biology 19:1547–1556.
- 1997. Association of birds with fallen timber in Box-Ironbark forest of central Victoria. Corella 22:55–60. , and .
- 2002. Conserving forest biodiversity: a comprehensive multiscaled approach. Island Press, Washington , D.C. , and .
- 2005. Ecological thresholds: a synthesis. Biological Conservation 124:351–354. , and .
- 2005. Woodlands: a disappearing landscape. CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne . , , , , , and .
- 1999. Habitat fragmentation and the abundances of vertebrates in the Florida scrub. Ecology 80:2526–2538. , and .
- 1989. Generalized linear models. Chapman & Hall, New York . , and .
- 2004. The conservation implications of bird reproduction in the agricultural “matrix”: a case study of the vulnerable Superb Parrot Polytelis swainsonii of south-eastern Australia. Biological Conservation 120:367–378. , , and .
- 2006. Scattered trees are keystone structures—implications for conservation. Biological Conservation 126:311–321. , , and .
- 2000. Systematic conservation planning. Nature 405:243–253. , and .
- 2004. The value of habitat reconstruction to birds at Gunnedah, New South Wales. Emu 104:177–189. , , , and .
- 2005. Countryside biogeography of Neotropical herbaceous and shrubby plants. Ecological Applications 15:423–439. , and .
- 1995. Conservation of grassy white box woodlands: relative contributions of size and disturbance to floristic composition and diversity of remnants. Australian Journal of Botany 43:349–366. , and .
- 1983. Censusing Australian birds: a summary of procedures and a scheme for the standardization of data presentation and storage. Pages 55–63 in S. J.Davies, editor. Methods of censusing birds in Australia. Department of Conservation and Environment, Perth . , and .
- 1999. Threatened and declining birds in the New South Wales Sheep-Wheat belt. I. Diagnosis, characteristics and management. Consulting report. New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service, Canberra.
- 2001. Countryside biogeography of moths in a fragmented landscape: biodiversity in native and agricultural habitats. Conservation Biology 15:378–388. , , , and .
- I.De Aranzabal. 2007. Influence of management regimes of adjacent land uses on the woody plant richness of hedgerows in Spanish cultural landscapes. Biological Conservation 135:542–554. , , and
- 1997. The value of small reserves in chronically fragmented landscapes. Pages 379–394 in M. W.Schwartz, editor. Conservation in highly fragmented landscapes. Chapman & Hall, New York . , and .
- 2003. Relationships between bird species and characteristics of woodland remnants in central New South Wales. Pacific Conservation Biology 9:95–119. , , and .
- 2007. Persistence of forest birds in the Costa Rican agricultural countryside. Conservation Biology 21:482–494. , , , , and .
- 2007. Vegetation and songbird response to land abandonment: from landscape to census plot. Diversity and Distributions 13:42–52. , , and .
- 2005. Landscape perspectives on agricultural intensification and biodiversity-ecosystem service management. Ecology Letters 8:857–874. , , , , and .
- 2007. The agricultural matrix and a future paradigm for conservation. Conservation Biology 21:274–277. , and .
- 1999. The ecological basis of sensitivity of Brown Treecreepers to habitat fragmentation: a preliminary assessment. Biological Conservation 90:13–20. , , and .