Combating the Illegal Trade in African Elephant Ivory with DNA Forensics
Article first published online: 4 AUG 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 1065–1071, August 2008
How to Cite
WASSER, S. K., JOSEPH CLARK, W., DRORI, O., STEPHEN KISAMO, E., MAILAND, C., MUTAYOBA, B. and STEPHENS, M. (2008), Combating the Illegal Trade in African Elephant Ivory with DNA Forensics. Conservation Biology, 22: 1065–1071. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01012.x
- Issue published online: 4 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 4 AUG 2008
- Paper submitted March 26, 2008; revised manuscript accepted April 29, 2008.
- 2007. Forest elephant crisis in the Congo Basin. Public Library of Science 5: DOI:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0050111. , et al.
- 2007. African elephant status report 2007. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , , , and .
- China News (English Edition). 2008. Guangxi seizes the nearly 800 kilograms of smuggled ivory (18 March). China News, Beijing. Available from http://www.chinanews.com.cn/tp/shfq/news/2008/03-19/1196792.shtml (accessed March 2008).
- 2008. Testimony of William Clark to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Natural Resources (5 March). Hearing on Poaching American security: impacts of illegal wildlife trade, before the Committee on Natural Resources. U.S. House of Representatives, Washington , D.C.
- 2002. Patterns of molecular genetic variation among African elephant populations. Molecular Ecology 11:2489–2498. , , , , , , and .
- 2003. More ivory than elephants: domestic ivory markets in three West African Countries. Traffic International, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , , and .
- 1988. African elephant database project: phase two, December. United Nations Environment Program, Nairobi .
- EIA (Environmental Investigation Agency). 2002. Back in business: elephant poaching and the ivory black markets of Asia. EIA, London .
- Interpol. 2008. Wildlife crime. Interpol, Lyon , France . Available from http://www.interpol.int/Public/EnvironmentalCrime/Wildlife/Default.asp (accessed April 2008).
- 2008. Trade bans and conservation. The Economist 8–14 March:85–87.
- 2008. Testimony of Claudia McMurray to the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Natural Resources (5 March). Hearing on: poaching American security: impacts of illegal wildlife trade, before the Committee on Natural Resources. U.S. House of Representatives, Washington , D.C.
- 2007. Isolation of DNA from small amounts of elephant ivory. Nature Protocols 2:2228–2232. , and .
- Mainichi Daily News (English edition). 2007. Customs and police show off 3 tons of ivory confiscated from smugglers. Mainichi Daily News, 1 March. Available from http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/national/news/p20070301p2a00m0na017000c.html (accessed March 2008).
- 2007. U.S. exposed as leading ivory market. Report. Care for the Wild International, Kingsfold , West Sussex, United Kingdom .
- 1995. Microsatellite analysis of population structure in Canadian polar bears. Molecular Ecology 4:347–354. , , , and .
- 2001. Genetic evidence for two species of elephant in Africa. Science 293:1473–1475. , , , and .
- 1995. African elephant database. IUCN, Gland , Switzerland . , , , , , and .
- 2001. Status and trends of the ivory trade in Africa, 1989-1999. Pachyderm 30:24–36. , and .
- 2004. Assigning elephant DNA to geographic region of origin: applications to the ivory trade. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 101:14847–14852. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Using ivory to track the origin of the largest ivory seizure since the 1989 trade ban. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 104:4228–4233. , , , , , , and .