Negative Off-Site Impacts of Ecological Restoration: Understanding and Addressing the Conflict
Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 22, Issue 5, pages 1118–1124, October 2008
How to Cite
BUCKLEY, M. C. and CRONE, E. E. (2008), Negative Off-Site Impacts of Ecological Restoration: Understanding and Addressing the Conflict. Conservation Biology, 22: 1118–1124. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01027.x
- Issue online: 24 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 AUG 2008
- Paper submitted August 24, 2006; revised manuscript accepted February 15, 2008.
- 2001a. The economic impact on Butte County of anadromous fish restoration program actions on agricultural lands in the Butte Creek watershed. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Stockton , California . , and .
- 2001b. The impact on Glenn County property tax revenues of public land acquisitions in the Sacramento River Conservation Area. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Chico, California. , and .
- 2000. Urban and ecological planning in Chicago: science, policy and dissent. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 43:489–504.
- 1997. The influence of catchment land use on stream integrity across multiple spatial scales. Freshwater Biology 37:149–161. , , and .
- 1997. Catchment-scale analysis of aquatic ecosystems. Freshwater Biology 37:107–111. , and .
- 1999. Riparian forest restoration along large rivers: initial results from the Sacramento River Project. Restoration Ecology 7:360–368. , , and .
- 2006. Land market feedbacks can undermine biodiversity conservation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103:5403–5408. , , , and .
- 2004. Strategic restoration: game theory applied to the Sacramento River Conservation Area. Proceedings of the sixteenth international conference. Society for Ecological Restoration, Victoria , British Columbia .
- 2006. Socially strategic ecological restoration: a game-theoretic analysis. Environmental Management 38:48–61. , and .
- 1997. Resilience and restoration of lakes. Conservation Ecology 1:http://www.consecol.org/vol1/iss1/art2/. , and .
- 2006. Incorporating green-area user groups in urban ecosystem management. AMBIO 35:237–244. , , and .
- 1998. Perceptions of American agricultural producers about wildlife on their farms and ranches. Wildlife Society Bulletin 26:597–604.
- 2006. The economic perspective: conservation against development versus conservation for development. Conservation Biology 20:686–688.
- 2005. Adaptive governance of social-ecological systems. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 30:441–473. , , , and .
- 2003. Ecological effects of ranching: a six-point critique. BioScience 53:759–765. , , , , and .
- 1986. The human impact on the natural environment. MIT Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- 1997. Stakeholder methodologies in natural resource management: a review of principles, contexts, experiences and opportunities. Agricultural Systems 55:173–193. , and .
- 2006. Colusa on offensive against new restoration projects. Chico Enterprise-Record January 12: http://www.chicoer.com/local_news/ci_3394047.
- 2004. Risk and risk management in organic agriculture: views of organic farmers. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems 19:218–227. , , , , and .
- 1998. Stream biodiversity: the ghost of land use past. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 95:14843–14847. , , , , and .
- 1997. What is good ecological restoration Conservation Biology 11:338–348.
- 2004. Applicability of landscape and island biogeography theory to restoration of riparian understorey plants. Journal of Applied Ecology 41:922–933. , and .
- 2005. Colusa subreach planning project landowner survey. Institute for Social Research-California State University, Sacramento .
- 1979. Prospect theory: an analysis of decision under risk. Econometrica 47:263–292. , and .
- 1991. The endowment effect, loss aversion, and status quo bias: anomalies. Journal of Economic Perspectives 5:193–206. , , and .
- 2004. Death rides the forest: perceptions of fire, land use, and ecological restoration of western forests. Conservation Biology 18:878–882.
- 2003. Strategies for effective mosquito control in constructed treatment wetlands. Ecological Engineering 21:211–232. , , , , and .
- 2007. Pollination and other ecosystem services produced by mobile organisms: a conceptual framework for the effects of land use change. Ecology Letters 10:299–314. , et al.
- 2003. Rehabilitation and restoration of degraded forest. IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, and Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 1999. Bioregional conflict resolution: rebuilding community in watershed planning and organizing. Environmental Management 24:1–12. , , and .
- 1890. Principles of economics. Macmillan, London .
- 2002. Tract backtracking; farmers wary of Sacramento River habitat plan. San Francisco Chronicle April 17 : A–17.
- 2001. Restoration of fragmented landscapes for the conservation of birds: a general framework and specific recommendations for urbanizing landscapes. Restoration Ecology 9:280–292. , and .
- 1999. The effects of forest fragmentation on avian nest predation. Pages 155–169 in J.Rochelle, L.Lehmann, and J.Wisniewski, editors. Forest fragmentation: wildlife and management implications. Brill Academic Publishing, Leiden , The Netherlands . , and .
- 1999. Defining landscapes suitable for restoration of grizzly bears (Ursus arctos) in Idaho. Biological Conservation 87:231–248. , , , and .
- 1999. Bargain theory with applications. Cambridge University Press, New York .
- The Nature Conservancy (TNC). 2003. Tamarisk control in southern California. TNC, Arlington , Virginia . Available from http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/success/ca003.html (accessed February 2006).
- 1997. Why landowners restore wetlands: a national survey. Iowa State University Extension, Ames . , , , and .
- 2001. Some remarks on the socio-cultural background of restoration ecology. Restoration Ecology 9:220–229.
- Sacramento River Advisory Council (SRAC). 1998. Sacramento River Conservation Area handbook. Department of Water Resources, Sacramento, California.
- 2002. The human footprint and the last of the wild. BioScience 52:891–904. , , , , , and .
- 1991. Stream fish ecology: a landscape perspective. BioScience 41:704–712.
- 2007. Enhancing ecosystem management through social-ecological inventories: lessons from Kristianstads Vattenrike, Sweden. Environmental Conservation 34:140–152. , , and .
- 2003. Stream corridor restoration research: a long and winding road. Ecological Engineering 20:441–454. , , , and .
- 1998. Impact of riparian forest buffers on agricultural nonpoint source pollution. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34:385–395. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Relationships between land use, spatial scale and stream macroinvertebrate communities. Freshwater Biology 46:1409–1424. , , and .
- 2004. Restoring nature, without mosquitoes Restoration Ecology 12:147–153.
- 2002. Advancing wildlife restoration and compatible farming along the Sacramento River—final report. The Nature Conservancy, Chico , California .
- 2000. Making collaboration work: lessons from innovation in natural resource management. Island Press, Washington , D.C . , and .