Modeling the Effects of Anthropogenic Habitat Change on Savanna Snake Invasions into African Rainforest
Article first published online: 5 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 81–92, February 2009
How to Cite
FREEDMAN, A. H., BUERMANN, W., LEBRETON, M., CHIRIO, L. and SMITH, T. B. (2009), Modeling the Effects of Anthropogenic Habitat Change on Savanna Snake Invasions into African Rainforest. Conservation Biology, 23: 81–92. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01039.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 5 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted May 15, 2007; revised manuscript accepted May 18, 2008.
- 2002. Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests. Science 297:999–1002. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Snake communities of moist rainforest and derived savanna sites of Nigeria: biodiversity patterns and conservation priorities. Biodiversity and Conservation 8:629–642. , , , and .
- 2006. Why do most tropical animals reproduce seasonally? Testing hypotheses on an Australian snake. Ecology 87:133–143. , and .
- 2002. Responses of three sympatric snake species to tropical seasonality in northern Australia. Journal of Tropical Ecology 18:549–568. , , and .
- 2008. Predicting species distributions across the Amazonian and Andean regions using remote sensing data. Journal of Biogeography 35:1160–1176. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Complex edge effects on soil moisture and microclimate in central Amazonian forest. Journal of Tropical Ecology 11:205–221. , and .
- 1991. The role of introduced species in shaping the distribution and abundance of island reptiles. Evolutionary Ecology 5:272–290. , and .
- Central African Regional Program for the Environment (CARPE). 1997. Regional ecological regions. University of Maryland, College Park. Available from http://carpe.umd.edu/ (accessed February 2006).
- 1999. Les serpents d'Afrique occidentale et centrale. IRD Editions, Paris .
- 2006. Combining population-dynamic and ecophysiological models to predict climate-induced range shifts. The American Naturalist 167:853–866. , and .
- 1999. Edge structure determines the magnitude of changes in microclimate and vegetation structure in tropical forest fragments. Biotropica 31:17–30. , and .
- 2006. Novel methods improve prediction of species' distributions from occurrence data. Ecography 29:129–151. , et al.
- 2003. Effects of habitat fragmentation on biodiversity. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 34:487–515.
- 2005. Global consequences of land use. Science 309:570–574. , et al.
- 2003. High-resolution simulations of global climate, part 2: effects of increased greenhouse gases. Climate Dynamics 21:391–404. , , and .
- 2002. Towards an operational MODIS continuous field of percent tree cover algorithm: examples using AVHRR and MODIS data. Remote Sensing of Environment 83:303–319. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25:1965–1978. , , , , and .
- 2005. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of biological invasion and habitat fragmentation. Ecosystems 8:657–667. , , , , and .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). 2007. Climate change 2007: climate change impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: summary for policymakers. IPCC, Geneva .
- 2004. Mapping the fundamental niche: physiology, climate, and the distribution of a nocturnal lizard. Ecology 85:3119–3131. , and .
- 2002. Ecosystem decay of Amazonian forest fragments: a 22-year investigation. Conservation Biology 16:605–618. , et al.
- 1968. Etude phytogéographique du Cameroun encyclopédie biologique LXIX. Lechevalier , Paris .
- 2001. Global ice and land climate studies using scatterometer image data. EOS Transactions American Geophysical Union 82:503. , , , , and .
- 2006. Resource partitioning and interspecific competition in snakes: the search for general geographic and guild patterns. Oikos 114:193–211.
- 2005. Relationships between body size, population abundance and niche characteristics in the communities of snakes from three habitats in southern Nigeria. Journal of Zoology (London) 265:207–213. , , , and .
- 2004. Aspects of the ecology of a population of Causus maculatus from southern Nigeria. Amphibia-Reptilia 25:99–104. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Rain, fish and snakes: climatically driven population dynamics of Arafura filesnakes in tropical Australia. Oecologia 124:208–215. , and .
- 2006. Rain, rats, and pythons: climate-driven population dynamics of predators and prey in tropical Australia. Austral Ecology 31:30–37. , , , and .
- 1966. The snakes of Sierra Leone. Copeia 2:169–179.
- 2002. Global products of vegetation leaf area and fraction absorbed PAR from year one of MODIS data. Remote Sensing of Environment 83:214–231. , et al.
- 2006. Tropical drying trends in global warming models and observations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 103:6110–6115. , , , , and .
- 2001. Land-use characterization and estimation of carbon stocks in the alternatives to slash-and-burn benchmark area in Cameroon. Resource and crop management resource monograph 28. International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Ibadan , Nigeria . , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Ecological and evolutionary responses to climate change. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 37:637–669.
- 2003. Predicting the impacts of climate change on the distribution of species: are bioclimatic envelope models useful? Global Ecology & Biogeography 12:361–371. , and .
- 2003. Predicting the geography of species' invasions via ecological niche modeling. Quarterly Review of Biology 78:419–433.
- 2006. Maximum entropy modeling of species geographic distributions. Ecological Modelling 190:231–259. , , and .
- 2005. A brief tutorial on Maxent. AT&T Research, Florham Park, New Jersey. Available from http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~schapire/maxent/tutorial/tutorial.doc (accessed June 2006).
- 2003. Canopy structure, microclimate, and habitat selection by a nocturnal snake, Hoplocephalus bungaroides. Ecology 84:2668–2679. , , and .
- 2006. Thermal quality influences effectiveness of thermal regulation, habitat use, and behaviour in milk snakes. Oecologia 148:1–11. , and .
- 1987. Extinction of an island forest avifauna by an introduced snake. Ecology 68:660–668.
- 2002. A field guide to the reptiles of East Africa. Academic Press, San Diego, California . , , , and .
- 1985. The thermal dependence of locomotion, tongue flicking, digestion, and oxygen consumption in the wandering garter snake. Physiological Zoology 58:46–57. , , and .
- 1986. Alteration of raptor communities along a succession from primary rainforest to secondary rainforest habitats on two continents. Ibis 128:172.
- 1993. A computer program for non-parametric receiver operating characteristic analysis. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 40:95–101.
- 1975. Les serpents de l'ouest Africain. Initiations et etudes Africaines. Number II. 3rd edition. University of Dakar, Senegal .
- 1997. Human domination of Earth's ecosystems. Science 277:494–499. , , , and .
- 1998. The impact of individual tree harvesting on thermal environments of lizards in Amazonian rain forest. Conservation Biology 12:654–664. , , , and .
- 2005. Tropical forests in a changing environment. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 20:553–560.