Effects of Urban Development on Ant Communities: Implications for Ecosystem Services and Management
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 131–141, February 2009
How to Cite
SANFORD, M. P., MANLEY, P. N. and MURPHY, D. D. (2009), Effects of Urban Development on Ant Communities: Implications for Ecosystem Services and Management. Conservation Biology, 23: 131–141. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01040.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted January 11, 2008; revised manuscript accepted April 9, 2008.
- Agosti, D., J. D.Majer, L. E.Alonso, and T. R.Schultz, editors. 2000. Ants: standard methods for measuring and monitoring biodiversity. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C.
- 1990. The use of ant communities to evaluate change in Australian terrestrial ecosystems: a review and a recipe. Proceedings of the Ecological Society of Australia 16:347–357.
- 1997. Functional groups and patterns of organization in North American ant communities: a comparison with Australia. Journal of Biogeography 24:433–460.
- 2006. Quantifying the evidence for biodiversity effects on ecosystem functioning and services. Ecology Letters 9:1146–1156. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. The effects of land use on the structure of ground-foraging ant communities in the Argentine Chaco. Ecological Applications 6:1225–1240. , and .
- 2000. Arthropods in urban habitat fragments in southern California: area, age, and edge effects. Ecological Applications 10:1230–1248. , , , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. 2nd edition. Springer-Verlag, New York . , and .
- 2002. LTBMU transportation. U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, South Lake Tahoe, California . , , and .
- 1995. Pages 74–121 in C.Johnson, editor. Forest inventory and analysis user's guide. U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Region, California . , , and .
- 2000. Economic associations among caused of species endangerment in the United States. BioScience 50:593–601. , , and .
- 1971. Influence of ant hills on the meadow soils. Pedobiologia 11:277–285. , , and .
- Daily, G. C., editor. 1997. Nature's services: societal dependence on natural ecosystems. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2002. A knowledge-based approach to the statistical mapping of climate. Climate Research 22:99–113. , , , , and .
- 1997. The role of ant nest-mounds in maintaining small-scale patchiness in dry grasslands in central Germany. Biodiversity and Conservation 6:1293–1307. , , and .
- 1977. Effects of Formica cinerea on a wetland soil on West Blue Mound, Wisconsin. Pages 276–287 in C. B.Dewitt and E.Soloway, editors. Wetlands ecology: values and impacts. Proceedings of the Waubesa conference on wetlands. University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin. , , and .
- 2006. Habitat loss, trophic collapse, and the decline of ecosystem services. Ecology 87:1919–1924. , et al.
- 2003. Response diversity, ecosystem change, and resilience. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:488–494. , , , , , , and .
- Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI). 2002. ARCMAP GIS, version 8.3. ESRI, Redlands, California .
- 1998. Ant biodiversity and its relationship to ecosystem functioning: a review. Biodiversity and Conservation 7:1221–1244.
- 2004. Regime shifts, resilience, and biodiversity in ecosystem management. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 35:557–581. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Ecological integrity of remnant montane forests along an urban gradient in the Sierra Nevada. Forest Ecology and Management 25:2453–2466. , , and .
- 1990. The ants. Belknap Press, Cambridge, Massachusetts . , and .
- 1995. Journey to the ants: a story of scientific exploration. Belknap Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts . , and .
- 2005. Effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning. Ecological Monographs 75:3–35. , et al.
- 2004. Model selection in ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 19:101–108. , and .
- 2004. Death rides the forest: perceptions of fire, land use, and ecological restoration in western forests. Conservation Biology 18:878–882.
- 1980. Principles of forest entomology. McGraw-Hill, New York . , and .
- 2005. Managing ecosystem services: what do we need to know about their ecology? Ecology Letters 8:468–479.
- 2004. The area requirements of an ecosystem service: crop pollination by native bee communities in California. Ecology Letters 7:1109–1119. , , , , and .
- 1993. Terrestrial arthropod assemblages-their use in conservation planning. Conservation Biology 7:796–808. , , , , , and .
- 2002. A preliminary study of ant diversity and abundance, and their dependence on dead wood in central interior British Columbia. Pages 111–119 in P. J.Shea, W. F.LaudenslayerJr., B.Valentine, C. P.Weatherspoon, and T. E.Lisle, editors. Ecology and management of dead wood in western forests. General technical report PSW-181. U. S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Albany, California . , and .
- 1999. Ants as bioindicators of soil function in rural environments. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment 74:125–441.
- 1994. The effect of ant biopores on water infiltration in soils in undisturbed bushland and in farmland in a semi-arid environment. Pedobiologia 38:193–207. , and .
- 2003. Population diversity and ecosystem services. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18:331–336. , , and .
- 1987. The role of ants in degraded soils within Dryandra state forest. Mulga Research Centre Journal 9:15–16. , , and .
- 2003. Measuring biological diversity. Blackwell Publishing, Malden, Massachusetts .
- 2000. Biological integrity. Pages 403–600 in D. D.Murphy and C. M.Knopp, editors. Lake Tahoe basin watershed assessment. Volume I. General technical report PSW-GTR-175. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, Albany, California . , , , , and .
- 2008. Modeling urban land development as a continuum to address fine-grained habitat heterogeneity. Landscape and Urban Planning: in press. , , , and .
- 2002. Urbanization, biodiversity, and conservation. BioScience 52:883–890.
- 2006. Nutrients flow from runoff at burned forest site in Lake Tahoe basin. California Agriculture 60:65–71. , , , , , , , and .
- 1979. An ecological survey of ants in a landscaped suburban habitat. American Midland Naturalist 102:353–362. and .
- 1992. The role of ants in nutrient cycling in forest ecosystems. Pages 167–170 in J.Billen, editor. Biology and evolution of social insects. Leuven University Press, Leuven, Belgium .
- 1994. Fractional composition of organic matter in the soil of anthills and of the environment of meadows. Pedobiologia 38:493–501. , and .
- 2002. Experimental design and data analysis for biologists. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom . , and .
- 1998. Assessing ecosystem health. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 13:397–402. , , and .
- SAS Institute. 2003. Version 9.1.3 for Windows. SAS Institute, Cary , North Carolina .
- 2002. Scale-dependent effects of landscape context on three pollinator guilds. Ecology 83:1421–1432. , , , , and .
- 2005. Federal forest-fire policy in the United States. Ecological Applications 15:532–542. , and .
- Tahoe Regional Planning Agency. 2001. Parcel-based land use. Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, Stateline , Nevada .
- 2007. The effects of urbanization on ant communities and myrmecochory in Manitoba, Canada. Urban Ecosystems 10:43–52. , and .
- 2001. Biodiversity, composition, and ecosystem processes: theory and concepts. Pages 9–41 in A.Kinzig, S. W.Pacala, and D.Tilman, editors. The functional consequences of biodiversity: empirical progress and theoretical extensions. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey . , and .
- 1997. Human domination of earth's ecosystems. Science 277:494–499. , , , and .
- 1997. Harvester ant nests, soil biota, and soil chemistry. Oecologia 112:232–236. , , and .
- 1986. The ants of Nevada. Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, Los Angeles, California . , and .