Socioeconomic Factors that Affect Artisanal Fishers’ Readiness to Exit a Declining Fishery
Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 124–130, February 2009
How to Cite
CINNER, J.E., DAW, T. and McCLANAHAN, T.R. (2009), Socioeconomic Factors that Affect Artisanal Fishers’ Readiness to Exit a Declining Fishery. Conservation Biology, 23: 124–130. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01041.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 5 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted January 29, 2008; revised manuscript accepted April 19, 2008.
- 2006. Exploring poverty traps and social exclusion in South Africa using qualitative and quantitative data. Journal of Development Studies 42:226–247. , , and .
- 2001. The livelihoods approach and management of small-scale fisheries. Marine Policy 25:377–388. , and .
- 2006. Welfare dynamics in rural Kenya and Madagascar. Journal of Development Studies 42:248–277. , et al.
- 2007. Current problems in the management of marine fisheries. Science 316:1713–1716. , , and .
- 2003. When fishery rhymes with poverty: a first step beyond the old paradigm on poverty in small-scale fisheries. World Development 31:949–975.
- 1987. The dynamics of an open access fishery. Canadian Journal of Economics 20:74–85. , and .
- 2003. Geography and poverty traps. Journal of Economic Growth 8:355–378. , , and .
- 2007. Evaluating tradable property rights for natural resources: the role of strategic entry and exit. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 63:158–176.
- 2006. The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: an asset-based approach. Journal of Development Studies 42:178–199. , and .
- 2005. Paradigm shifts needed for world fisheries. Science 309:1324. , and .
- 1985. Bioeconomic modelling and fisheries management. Wiley Interscience Publication, New York .
- 1987. Social traps and environmental policy. BioScience 37:407–412.
- 1997. Nutritional status, the capacity for work, and poverty traps. Journal of Econometrics 77:5–37.
- 1954. The economic theory of a common property resource: the fishery. Journal of Political Economy 62:124–142.
- 1968. The tragedy of the commons. Science 162:1243–1248.
- 1990. Practical sampling. Sage Publications, Newbury Park , California .
- 2007. Moving to sustainability by learning from successful fisheries. Ambio 36:296–303.
- 2002. Integrating marine protected areas into models for fishery assessment and management. Natural Resource Modeling 15:369–386.
- 2000. Fishermen resistance to exit fisheries. Marine Resource Economics 14:199–213. , and .
- 1993. Uncertainty, resource exploitation, and conservation: lessons from history. Science 260:17–36. , , and .
- 2007. Management of area and gear in Kenyan coral reefs. Pages 166–185 in T. R.McClanahan and J. C.Castilla, editors. Fisheries management: progress towards sustainability. Blackwell Press, London .
- 2000. Spillover of exploitable fishes from a marine park and its effect on the adjacent fishery. Ecological Applications 10:1792–1805. , and .
- 2005. Perceptions of resource users and managers towards fisheries management options in Kenyan coral reefs. Fisheries Management and Ecology 12:105–112. , , and .
- 1997. Tropical marine fisheries and the future of coral reefs: a brief review with emphasis on Southeast Asia. Coral Reefs 16(supplement):121–127.
- 2007. Spatial determinants of poverty in rural Kenya. Proceedings of the National Academic Sciences in U.S.A. 104:16769–16774. , et al.
- 1990. On Malthusian overfishing. Naga, the ICLARM Quarterly 13:3–4.
- 2002. Towards sustainability in world fisheries. Nature 418:689–695. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Assessing behavioral aspects of coastal resource use. Coastal Resources Center, University of Rhode Island, Narragansett , Rhode Island , U.S.A. , and .
- 2006. Job satisfaction in the fishery in two southeast Alaskan towns. Human Organization 65:332–342. , and .
- 2001. Fishery policy and job satisfaction in three poverty traps. Journal of Econometrics 77:5–37. , , and .
- 2008. Toward a model for fisheries social impact. Marine Fisheries Review 68:1–4. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Modeling entry, stay, and exit decisions of the longline fishers in Hawaii. Marine Policy 28:311–324. , and .
- 2005. Weeding through assumptions of livelihood approaches in ICM: seaweed farming in the Philippines and Indonesia. Ocean and Coastal Management 48:297–313. , , and .
- 2006. The demise of the small fisher? A profile of exiters from the New Zealand fishery. Marine Policy 30:328–340. , , and .
- 2001. On the perception of time trends in resource outcome. Its importance in fisheries co-management, agriculture and whaling. Ph.D. thesis. Twente University, Enschede , The Netherlands .
- 1994. Vessel entry-exit behavior in the Gulf of Mexico shrimp fishery. American Journal of Agricultural Economics 76:916–923. , and .
- 1976. Common property resources and the dynamics of overexploitation: the case of the North Pacific fur seal. Research paper 3. University of British Columbia, Vancouver .
- 2004. Spatial management of fisheries. Marine Resource Economics 19:7–19.
- 2002. Avoiding surprises: incorporating fisherman behavior into management models. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:553–575. , , , and .