A Property Rights Approach to Understanding Human Displacement from Protected Areas: the Case of Marine Protected Areas
Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 16–23, February 2009
How to Cite
MASCIA, M. B. and CLAUS, C. A. (2009), A Property Rights Approach to Understanding Human Displacement from Protected Areas: the Case of Marine Protected Areas. Conservation Biology, 23: 16–23. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01050.x
- Issue online: 14 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 25 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted March 21, 2007; revised manuscript accepted May 14, 2008.
- 2006. Poverty, development, and biodiversity conservation: shooting in the dark? Pages 1–48. Working paper 26. Wildlife Conservation Society, New York . , and .
- 2007. Conservation and displacement. Pages 4–15 in K. H.Redford and E.Fearn, editors. Protected areas and human displacement: a conservation perspective. Working paper 29. Wildlife Conservation Society, New York . , and .
- 1984. The historical development of territorial rights and fishery regulations in Okinawan inshore waters. Senri Ethnological Studies 17:37–86. , and .
- 1990. A direct test of the effects of protective management on the abundance and yield of tropical marine resources. Journal du Conseil 46:40–47. , and .
- 2004. Speaking a common language: the uses and performance of the IUCN system of management categories for protected areas. Cardiff University, Cardiff , United Kingdom , IUCN, Gland, Switzerland, and Cambridge, United Kingdom. , , , and .
- 2007. Protected areas and equity concerns. BioScience 57:216–221.
- Brechin, S., P.Wilshusen, C.Fortwangler, and P.West, editors. 2003. Contested nature: promoting international biodiversity and social justice in the twenty-first century. State University of New York Press, Albany .
- 1999. Conservation, displacement and livelihoods: the consequences of the eviction for pastoralists moved from the Mkomazi Game Reserve, Tanzania. Nomadic Peoples 3:74–96.
- 2004. Indigenous peoples and protected areas at the World Parks Congress. Conservation Biology 18:609–612.
- 2000. Risk, safeguards and reconstruction: a model for population displacement and resettlement. Pages 11–55 in M. M.Cernea and C.McDowell, editors. Risk and reconstruction: experiences of resettlers and refugees. World Bank, Washington , D.C.
- 2006. Poverty risks in national parks: policy issues in conservation and resettlement. World Development 34:1808–1830. , and .
- 2004. A challenge to conservationists. World Watch November/December 2004:17–31.
- 1994. Community-based coral reef management on San Salvador Island, The Philippines. Society and Natural Resources 7:103–117. , , and .
- 1997. Salvaging nature: indigenous peoples and protected areas. Pages 97–130 in K. B.Ghimire and M. P.Pimbert, editors. Social change & conservation. Earthscan, London .
- 2005. Trends in global protected area governance, 1992-2002. Environmental Management 36:89–100. , , and .
- 1993. Meeting ecological and economic goals: marine parks in the Caribbean. Ambio 22:117–125. , , and .
- 2005. Conservation refugees: when protecting nature means kicking people out. Orion 24:16–27.
- 2004. Why history and culture matter—a case study from the Virgin Islands National Park. Policy Matters 13:148–161. , and .
- 2002. Effect of a network of no-take reserves in increasing catch per unit effort and stocks of exploited reef fish at Nabq, South Sinai, Egypt. Marine and Freshwater Research 53:199–205. , , and .
- 2005. Importance of attitudinal differences among artisanal fishers toward co-management and conservation of marine resources. Conservation Biology 19:865–875. , , and .
- 2005. Can habitat protection lead to improvements in human well-being? Evidence from marine protected areas in the Philippines. World Development 33:199–217.
- 1996. Changes in the shallow reef fishery associated with implementation of a system of fishing priority and marine reserve areas in Soufriere, St. Lucia. Proceedings of the 49th Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute. Gulf and Caribbean Fisheries Institute, Ft. Pierce , Florida . , , , and .
- 2005. Co-management approach to marine conservation in Moheli, Comoros Islands. Conservation Biology 19:1724–1732. , and .
- 2003. The impact of marine reserves: do reserves work and does reserve size matter? Ecological Applications 13:S117–S137.
- 2002. Marine reserves have rapid and lasting effects. Ecology Letters 5:361–366. , and .
- 2002. The reimplementation of the Ra'ui: coral reef management in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Coastal Management 30:401–418.
- 2007. Marine protected areas: a governance system analysis. Human Ecology 35:611–622. , , and .
- 1978. Traditional marine conservation methods in Oceania and their demise. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 9:349–364.
- 2002. The renaissance of community-based marine resource management in Oceania. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 33:317–340.
- 2004. Reef fisheries co-management in Okinawa. Pages 1407–1415 in Y.Suzuki, T.Nakamori, M.Hadaka, H.Kayanne, B. E.Casareto, K.Nadaoke, H.Yamano, and M.Tsuchiya, editors. Proceedings of the 10th International Coral Reef Symposium. 10: 1407–1415.
- 2006. A comparison of attitudes toward state-led conservation and community-based conservation in the village of Bigodi, Uganda. Society and Natural Resources 19:609–623. , and .
- 1989. Contracting for property rights. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 1996. Fishery recovery in a coral-reef marine park and its effect on the adjacent fishery. Conservation Biology 10:1187–1199. , and .
- 1999. Protected area institutions. Pages 195–204 in S.Stolton, editor. Partnerships for protection: new strategies for planning and management for protected areas. Earthscan, London .
- 1994. The applicability of terrestrial visitor impact management strategies to the protection of coral reefs. Ocean and Coastal Management 22:153–163. , and .
- 2000. Institutional emergence, evolution, and performance in complex common pool resource systems: marine protected areas in the wider Caribbean. Department of the Environment, Duke University, Durham , North Carolina .
- 2004. Social dimensions of marine reserves. Pages 164–186 in C.Dahlgren and J.Sobel, editors. Marine reserves: a guide to science, design, and use. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 2004. Benefiting local populations? Communal reserves in Peru. Cultural Survival Quarterly 28:38–41. , and .
- 2001. Economic impacts of marine protected areas: a case study of the Mombasa Marine Park (Kenya). In R.Francis, editor. Marine science development in Tanzania and Eastern Africa. WIOMSA Book Series, Zanzibar , Tanzania .
- 2005. Marine protected areas for whom? Fisheries, tourism, and solidarity in a Philippine community. Ocean and Coastal Management 48:393–410. , , and .
- 1990. Governing the commons: the evolution of institutions for collective action. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2006. Forked tongues rule. Los Angeles Times 5 July: A1.
- 2004. From common property to co-management: lessons from Brazil's first maritime extractive reserve. Marine Policy 28:419–428.
- 2007. Fish wars: conflict and collaboration in fisheries management in Southeast Asia. Marine Policy 31:645–656. .
- 2001. Effects of marine reserves on adjacent fisheries. Science 294:1920–1923. , , , , and .
- 1996. Traditional management of reef fishing. Pages 315–335 in N. V. C.Polunin and C. M.Roberts, editors. Reef fisheries. Chapman & Hall, New York .
- 1999. Management histories of Sumilon and Apo Marine Reserves, Philippines, and their influence on national marine resource policy. Coral Reefs 18:307–319. , and .
- 2004. Marine reserve benefits local fisheries. Ecological Applications 14:597–606. , , , , and .
- 2002. A general model for designing networks of marine reserves. Science 298:1991–1993. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Property rights regimes and natural resources: a conceptual analysis. Land Economics 68:249–262. , and .
- 2005. The environmental risks of conservation related displacements in central Africa. Pages 282–311 in I.Ohta and Y. D.Gebre, editors. Displacement risks in Africa. Trans Pacific Press, Melbourne .
- 2007. Protected areas and resettlement: what scope for voluntary relocation? World Development 35:2182–2202. , and .
- 2003. Propagule dispersal distance and the size and spacing of marine reserves. Ecological Applications 13:S159–S169. , , and .
- Stevens, S., editor. 1997. Conservation through cultural survival: indigenous people and protected areas. Island Press, Washington , D.C.
- 1988. Policy paradox and political reason. Scott Foresman, Glenview , Illinois .
- 1997. The economic benefits of tourism in the marine reserve of Apo Island, Philippines. H. A.Lessios and I. G.Macintyre, editors. Proceedings of the 8th International Coral Reef Symposium 8:2101–2106.
- 2001. The role of marine reserves as fisheries management tools: a review of concepts, evidence and international experience. Bureau of Rural Sciences, Canberra , Australia . , , and .
- West, P. C., and S. R.Brechin, editors. 1991. Resident peoples and national parks: social dilemmas in international conservation. University of Arizona Press, Tucson .
- 2006. An anthropological perspective on some unexpected consequences of protected areas. Conservation Biology 20:609–616. , and .
- 2006. Parks and people: assessing the human welfare effects of establishing protected areas for biodiversity conservation. Conservation Biology 20:247–249. , , , , , and .