Nest-Site Selection in Individual Loggerhead Turtles and Consequences for Doomed-Egg Relocation
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 72–80, February 2009
How to Cite
PFALLER, J. B., LIMPUS, C. J. and BJORNDAL, K. A. (2009), Nest-Site Selection in Individual Loggerhead Turtles and Consequences for Doomed-Egg Relocation. Conservation Biology, 23: 72–80. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01055.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted February 18, 2008; revised manuscript accepted May 15, 2008.
- 1992. Spatial distribution of green turtle (Chelonia mydas) nests at Tortuguero, Costa Rica. Copeia 1992:45–53. , and .
- 1983. Sea turtles nesting at Melbourne Beach, Florida. I. Size, growth, and reproductive biology. Biological Conservation 26:65–77. , , and .
- 2003. What is a loggerhead turtle? The genetic perspective. Pages 7–27 in A. B.Bolten and B. E.Witherington, editors. Loggerhead sea turtles. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C .
- 1993. The role of nest site selection in loggerhead sea turtles (Caretta caretta) nest success and sex ratio control. PhD dissertation. Rutgers University, New Brunswick , New Jersey .
- 2001. Hypotheses of aging in a long-lived vertebrate, Blanding's turtle (Emydoidea blandingii). Experimental Gerontology 36:813–827. , , , and .
- 2005. Increase of a Caribbean leatherback turtle Dermochelys coriacea nesting population linked to long-term nest protection. Biological Conservation 126:186–194. , , , and .
- 1987. Environmental unpredictability and leatherback sea turtle (Dermochelys coriacea) nest loss. Herpetologica 43:315–323.
- 2005. Predicting the impact of sea-level rise on Caribbean sea turtle nesting habitat. Conservation Biology 19:482–491. , , , , , and .
- 1993. Nest placement by loggerhead turtles, Caretta caretta. Animal Behaviour 45:47–53. , and .
- 1991. Nest site location and nest success in the hawksbill turtle Eretmochelys imbricata in Barbados, West Indies. Marine Ecology Progress Series 69:1–8. , and .
- 1993. The Jumby Bay hawksbill project: survivorship, mortality and reproductive biology and behavior of adult female hawksbill sea turtles Eretmochelys imbricata nesting at Pasture Bay, Long Island, Antigua, 1987–1992. Technical report. Georgia Sea Turtle Cooperative, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Athens . , and .
- 2004. Nest site selection in leatherbacks, Dermochelys coriacea: individual patterns and their consequences. Animal Behaviour 68:357–366. , and .
- 2005. Repeatability of nesting preferences in the hawksbill sea turtle, Eretmochelys imbricata, and their fitness consequences. Animal Behaviour 70:819–828. , and .
- 2006. Inter-seasonal maintenance of individual nest site preferences in hawksbill sea turtles. Ecology 87:2947–2952. , and .
- 2006. Effectiveness of different conservation measures for loggerhead se turtles (Caretta caretta) nests at Zakynthos Island, Greece. Biological Conservation 130:324–330. , , , , and .
- 1999. The reproductive biology of the chelonia. Springer-Verlag, Berlin .
- 1987. Unrepeatable repeatabilities: a common mistake. Auk 104:116–121. , and .
- 1985. A study of the loggerhead turtle, Caretta caretta, in eastern Australia. Ph.D. dissertation. University of Queensland, Brisbane , Australia .
- 1992. Estimation of tag loss in marine turtle research. Wildlife Research 19:457–469.
- 2003. Biology of the loggerhead turtle in the Western South Pacific Ocean foraging areas. Pages 93–113 in A. B.Bolten and B. E.Witherington, editors. Loggerhead sea turtles. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C . , and .
- 1979. Movement induced mortality of loggerhead eggs. Herpetologica 35:335–338. , , and .
- 1996. A six season study of marine turtle nesting at Praia do Forte, Bahia, Brazil, with implications for conservation and management. Chelonian Conservation and Biology 2:55–59. , and .
- 2003. Nest site selection, oviposition, eggs, development, hatching, and emergence of loggerhead turtles. Pages 125–143 in A. B.Bolten and B. E.Witherington, editors. Loggerhead sea turtles. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C . , , and .
- 1983. Ecology and nest-site selection of leatherback turtles, Dermochelys coriacea. Biological Conservation 26:47–56.
- 2006. Distorting gene pools by conservation: assessing the case of doomed turtle eggs. Environmental Management 38:523–531.
- 2008. Against oversimplifying the issues on relocating turtle eggs. Environmental Management 41:465–467.
- 2004. Nest site fidelity of leatherback turtles at Playa Grande, Costa Rica. Animal Behaviour 68:387–394. , , , , , and .
- 2008. The benefits of nest relocation extend far beyond recruitment: a rejoinder to Mrosovsky. Environmental Management 41:461–464.
- 2000. Manipulation of turtle populations of conservation: halfway technologies or viable options? Pages 218–238 in M. W.Klemens, editor. Turtle conservation. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , D.C . , and .
- 1995. Biometry. 3rd edition. W. H. Freeman, New York . , and .
- 1977. Endangered birds: management techniques for preserving threatened species. University of Wisconsin Press, Madison .
- 1992. Crocodiles: an action plan for their conservation. International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources, Gland , Switzerland . , , , and .
- 1990. A test of the scatter-nesting hypothesis at a seasonally stable leatherback rookery. Pages 11–13 in T. H.Richardson, J. I.Richardson, and M.Donnelly, compilers. Proceedings of the Tenth annual workshop on sea turtle biology and conservation. Technical memorandum NMFS-SEFC-278. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Miami .
- 1985. Infertility, embryonic mortality and nest-site selection in leatherback and green sea turtles in Suriname. Biological Conservation 34:251–272. , and .
- 2000. Relation of temperature, moisture, salinity, and slope to nest site selection in loggerhead sea turtles. Copeia 2000:119–128. , and .