Local Participation in Natural Resource Monitoring: a Characterization of Approaches
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2008
©2008 Society for Conservation Biology
Volume 23, Issue 1, pages 31–42, February 2009
How to Cite
DANIELSEN, F., BURGESS, N. D., BALMFORD, A., DONALD, P. F., FUNDER, M., JONES, J. P. G., ALVIOLA, P., BALETE, D. S., BLOMLEY, T., BRASHARES, J., CHILD, B., ENGHOFF, M., FJELDSÅ, J., HOLT, S., HÜBERTZ, H., JENSEN, A. E., JENSEN, P. M., MASSAO, J., MENDOZA, M. M., NGAGA, Y., POULSEN, M. K., RUEDA, R., SAM, M., SKIELBOE, T., STUART-HILL, G., TOPP-JØRGENSEN, E. and YONTEN, D. (2009), Local Participation in Natural Resource Monitoring: a Characterization of Approaches. Conservation Biology, 23: 31–42. doi: 10.1111/j.1523-1739.2008.01063.x
- Issue published online: 14 JAN 2009
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2008
- Paper submitted May 27, 2007; revised manuscript accepted May 27, 2008.
- 2005. Participatory ecological monitoring of the Alaotra wetland in Madagascar. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2757–2774. , , , , and .
- 2005. Monitoring important bird areas in Africa: towards a sustainable and scaleable system. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2575–2590. , , , , and .
- 1999. Sacred ecology. Traditional ecological knowledge and resource management. Taylor & Francis, Philadelphia , Pennsylvania .
- 2000. Bird census techniques. 2nd edition. Academic Press, London . , , , and .
- 2008. Seeing the wood for the trees: an assessment of the impact of participatory forest management on forest condition in Tanzania. Oryx 42:380–391. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Measuring coral reef decline through meta-analysis. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 360:385–395. , , , and .
- 2000. A simple system for monitoring biodiversity in protected areas of a developing country. Biodiversity and Conservation 9:1671–1705. , , , , , and .
- 2005a. Monitoring matters: examining the potential of locally-based approaches. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2507–2542 (also available at http://www.monitoringmatters.org). , , and .
- 2005b. Does monitoring matter? A quantitative assessment of management decisions from locally-based monitoring of protected areas. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2633–2652. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007a. Native knowledge. Science (E-letter)http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/eletters/315/5818/1518. , , and .
- 2007b. Increasing conservation management action by involving local people in natural resource monitoring. Ambio 36:566–570. , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. International conservation policy delivers benefits for birds in Europe. Science 317:810–813. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Money for nothing? A call for empirical evaluation of biodiversity conservation investments. Public Library of Science Biology DOI:DOI: 10.1371/journal.pbio.0040105. , and .
- 2007. Mapping avian distributions: the evolution of bird atlases. Bird Study 54:324–334. , , , , and .
- 2005. Can local ecological knowledge contribute to wildlife management? Case studies of migratory birds. Ecology and Society 10:20. , , and .
- Goldsmith, B., editor. 1991. Monitoring for conservation and ecology. Chapman & Hall, London .
- 2007. Citizens, science and bird conservation. Journal of Ornithology 148:S77–S124.
- 2005. Developing indicators for European birds. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society Biological Sciences 360:269–288. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Meta-analysis in ecology. Advances in Ecological Research 32:199–247. , , and .
- 2003. Statistical power for detecting trends with applications to seabird monitoring. Biological Conservation 111:317–329.
- 2005. When should communities and conservationists monitor exploited resources Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2795–2806. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Participatory forest monitoring: an assessment of the accuracy of simple cost-effective methods. Biodiversity and Conservation DOI:DOI: 10.1007/s10531-007-9273-4.
- 2005. The living planet index: using species population time series to track trends in biodiversity. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 360:289–295. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. The 2010 biodiversity indicators: challenges for science and policy. Conservation Biology 21:1406–1413. , and .
- 2005. Power of monitoring programmes to detect decline and recovery of rare and vulnerable fish. Journal of Applied Ecology 42:25–37. , and .
- 2006. Monitoring for conservation. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 21:668–673. , and .
- 2005. Background and interpretation of the ‘marine trophic index’ as a measure of biodiversity. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B 360:415–424. , and .
- 2005. Participatory resource monitoring as a means for promoting social change in Yunnan, China. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2543–2573. , and .
- 2005. Project wordbirds: developing a web-based data collection system for the global monitoring of bird distribution and abundance. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2807–2820. , , and .
- 2001. Conservation and biodiversity monitoring in the tropics: realities, priorities, and distractions. Conservation Biology 15:1179–1182.
- 2005. Monitoring ecological change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 2003. Reporting progress in protected areas: a site-level management effectiveness tracking tool. World Wide Fund for Nature and World Bank, Washington , D.C. , , , , and .
- 2005. The Event Book System: a community based natural resource monitoring system from Namibia. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2611–2631. , , , , and .
- Sutherland, W. J., editor. 1996. Ecological census techniques. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , United Kingdom .
- 1998. Monitoring vertebrate populations. Academic Press, San Diego , California . , , and .
- 1998. Participation of local fishermen in scientific fisheries data collection: a case study from the Bangweulu Swamps, Zambia. Fisheries Management and Ecology 5:81–92. , , and .
- 2005. Monitoring and evaluation of reef protected areas by local fishers in the Philippines: tightening the adaptive management cycle. Biodiversity and Conservation 14:2775–2794. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Monitoring of biological diversity in space and time. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 16:446–453. , , and .
- 2003. Monitoring of biological diversity—a response to Danielsen et al. Oryx 37:410. , , and .